1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New war of the worlds. The best movie ever?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Jun 5, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Ok,
    here is the trailer for the new war of the worlds movie.

Is it going to be the biggest blockbuster of the year? could it knock revenge of the sith Off of its top spot?

WAR OF THE WORLDS FULL TRAILER

2. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I relly really wanted to watch this when I first saw the teaser but when I saw the full trailer it turned me off of the idea of rushing to see it.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    It is defently going to be a blockbuster but whether it will be the best movie ever, I wouldnt go that far.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I feel exactly the same, I will see it as it is perfect 'cinema fodder', but at the mo it just looks like a typical Hollywood blockbuster. I'm hoping to be proved wrong though. :hiya:

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It'd be cool if they actually made the book instead of setting it in present day :)

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    What concerns me is that even Steven Spielberg is now 'towing the Hollywood line' and resorted to doing remakes. :(

7. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your wish is granted ....follow this link:

http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

I have no idea of the movie's production budget but enjoyed the trailer. This is what I've been waiting for.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    As much as I want to see a version faithful to the book ...this is sub-amateurish pap and there should be a law against people like this getting access to what looks like miniDV cameras.

Watch it if you want a good laugh.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Careful Keith - you're in danger of being accused of elitism. ;)

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    You Eliteist, Mr. D. :smashin:

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Told you! :D

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The original setting has already been sone though hasnt it?

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Never been a film version faithful to the original novel.
    The book as read has a few little give aways that it was written as sci-fi. Its not just the martians that are out of place , things like the thunderchild are also sci-fi extrapolations.

I'd like to see a version that tried to get a handle on the fear of the omnipotent unknown enemy and didn't care that the whole victorian setting was anachronistic. Make it hyper-victorian.... think the way Dune looks. Make it all look mighty and impressive : an Empire at its height ( a novel of the near future for the time it was written in).

Thats being faithful to the book. Jeff Wayne sort of had it right in his head if not in the music.

Being called Elitist twice in one day...I must be going up in the world!

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Spielberg film looks like a Cruise action film. And don't you just love little, and I quote, 'moppet' Fanning in peril from those naughty martians? And the tag for the film 'they're already here' doesn't sound as though it's too faithful to the source neither. Looks very much as you'd expect....

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    And they're trying every trick in the book to make you part with your wonga. Even not showing what the aliens look like. They must think we're shallow mindless fools.

I'm gagging to see this actually..PJ :D

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What has being "faithful to the source" got to do with whether it will be a good movie or not?

Stephen King's TV mini-series version of "The Shining" is faithful to the original novel to the point of being a photocopy and it's a monumental stinker. Kubrick's version veers considerably from the novel yet buries King's "faithful" version in every department.

Not only that, but in the case of "The War of the Worlds" some insist on seeing "faithful" simply in terms of a Victorian era setting - an extremely narrow and limiting viewpoint. Being faithful to Wells' concepts and the rich sources of allegory and metaphor inherent in the story, is much more important, as is making its inherent themes relevant for succeeding generations.

What gives this work its power and keeps it alive and interesting is the constant re-working and the relevance of each incarnation for the era in which succeeding versions are produced.

Wells' novel has three main thematic concerns, all extremely relevant to the British Victorian audience the novel was aimed at. One was the Victorian obsession with "Town & Country" - particularly the effects of urban expansion and industrialization on the English rural landscape. Another was the seemingly unstoppable juggernaut of colonialism and the effects of the expansion of the British Empire on less "developed" (read "non-industrialized") cultures, and finally the novel was a direct challenge to the Victorians' unquestioning belief and trust in unbridled technological and scientific progress.

While these themes may have been extremely relevant to Victorian Britain at the time of the novel's publication, they will not have the same resonance for later audiences. I think this has been clearly recognized in subsequent dramatizations of the novel, and accordingly each has endeavoured to make Wells' themes more relevant for their respective audiences.

Consider the timing of Orson Welles' notorious Halloween radio broadcast. Right at the beginning of World War II. American audiences were regaled on a daily basis with the threat of war and constant news of invasion and destruction in Europe and the Far East. Small wonder that in such an atmosphere of fear and paranoia Welles' interpretation caused the mass hysteria that it did on that Halloween night in 1939. The boy Orson knew exactly what he was doing. ;)

Likewise George Pal's movie adaptation played on contemporary fears of invasion and destruction in the Cold War era. Americans lived with the omnipresent (perceived) threats of Communist invasion and nuclear annihilation. Remember this was an era when a fallout shelter was more of a consideration for American suburbanites than a swimming pool. Like Welles' radio adaptation the relocation and updating of the book's events gave the story a contemporary relevance for the audience. Not to mention the added frisson of the invasion coming from The Red Planet.

Cracking movie too and an acknowledged classic of the SF genre, and -surprise, surprise- without being slavishly "faithful" to the novel.

So perhaps Speilberg has decided that the time is ripe for a 21st Century audience to locate its contemporary fears and anxieties in Wells' story.

9/11, WMDs and Iraq anyone? :)

I'd find any of the above three approaches infinitely more creative, imaginative and closer to the spirit of Wells' novel than say for example having Richard Burton intone a "Readers' Digest" version of the story while Justin Hayward and David Essex warble a few ditties.

Based on the trailers seen so far the film looks nothing like a typical "...Cruise action film...". Seems to consist of him running away and s**tting himself with the rest of the human race. Not exactly "Mission Impossible" or "Days of Thunder" is it?

And since when has a "...Cruise action film..." been a no-no for you Gorshin? Seem to remember you positively gushing at the thought of getting your mitts on the Special Edition of the decidedly crap "Top Gun" not so long ago? At least we know that even if Speilberg had fallen asleep for the duration of the "WOTW" shoot, he'd still turn in a better movie than Tony Scott did with that particular lame-brainer. :D

17. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's wrong with Top Gun? When I say typical Cruise action film I mean an almost complete focus on Cruise. Wells' novel does not even name the narrator. Of the films running time, how much screentime will Cruise get; the vast majority. It would have been a brilliant opportunity to have an unknown play the protagonist. But no, it's going to be a 'Tom Cruise film'. From the various trailers it looks as if we're getting an American isolationist point of view, rather than Wells' epic vision. It's just too hollywood for me. I hope to be proved wrong.

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Have you actually seen the new "War of the Worlds"? Answer: no. So you are in no position to say how much or how little the focus is on Cruise's character. But if focus on Cruise is a problem, why is "Top Gun" not a problem for you? He's not exactly in a supporting role in that flick is he?
    Who despite not being named is, nonetheless, omnipresent for the entire novel. As in "complete focus" on his POV of events. You can't have it both ways. First of all you slam Spielberg for not being "faithful" to the novel, and then slam him (without having seen the movie) for "complete focus" on the central character - which is exactly what Wells does in the novel. Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

But what has that got to do with the price of fish anyway? This is an adaptation of the work, not a slavish recreation, so the point is moot.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Whereas "Top Gun" is what? Too Italian Neo-Realist or too French Nouvelle Vague? Please!!!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

19. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    I think this thread basically sums up the diverse medium of film.

The original post of 'Best Movie Ever?' immediately made me think that surely it depends on what type of film you like. I can hardly imagine my mum watching it and thinking 'thats the best film I've ever seen'.

And I can safely say, without having ever seen any teaser/trailer, that I will not consider it the best film ever.

Before these big budget films come out I never get excited any more. Can't remember the last time I got excited going to the cinema - was probably for Return of the King. I have been disappointed too many times. I am really looking forward to seeing Sin City, simply because it looks like something a bit different/original.

It sounds like 'Best Movie Ever?' in this case means the one with the biggest budget, most special effects, loudest sound, home cinema showing-off moments, biggest stars. You need more, a lot more, than this to make a good film. Some of the best films I've seen have no special effects in them at all.

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yup. What he said. :thumbsup:

21. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Who's comparing WOTW to top gun? Not me. Just reiterating the point that WOTW will be a Tom Cruise starrer, for better, or, for worse. Can this film honestly compete with the uber genious that it H.G.'s masterpiece? No. It will be Independence Day without the comedy.

22. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  23. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    there has never been, and will never be a 'best movie ever'

24. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Nor me - that's not the point I'm making and you know it.
    Oh I see - then all your previous posts were attempting to imply that it could possibly be a good thing that this was a "...typical Cruise action film..." Hands up who noticed that guys! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the revelatory lightning bolt by the way. "Starring Tom Cruise" hadn't tipped us off to that. We're indebted.
    Nor indeed its genius without the "o". Somehow I don't think it's attempting to, no more than the screen adaptation of "Lord of the Rings" was attempting to compete with Tolkein.
    Let me guess - you don't mean this as a negative either. ;)

Let's look at it another way. It could be "Independence Day" without the stupidity, and with an infinitely more talented film-maker at the helm.

Aren't you going to address your utter self-contradiction about why a film being "...too Hollywood..." is such a no-no, while at the same time rating "Top Gun"? :D

25. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You really have a problem with being Mr right don't you? Top Gun should be and IS very hollywood. WOTW on the other hand stems from a work of literature and hence should aim to put across said literature's themes. If it ends up being an action film then perhaps Michael Bay should have directed/Bruckheimer produced. The trailers show just action. Wells would turn in his grave.

26. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will say i am looking forward to this big time, straight away i will say i have never read the original book or watched the original film, so i have no "its not going to be faithful to the book" problems i just want a great film to watch, i have been disapointed with alot of the blockbusters for a while now like Day after tomorrow, I Robot, Alexander, to name 3 of many,

The difference for me is this is directed by Steven Spielberg who i believe is one greatest film directors so i have huge faith that he is going to deliver a film i like, whether or not it follows the book i dont care personly as i never read it :)

27. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Gosh - thanks for pointing this out to me Gorshin. Especially as I have already pointed this out to you, both here and on another thread. Nice to know you've been paying attention though. :smashin:

You however seem to have made up your mind that the film won't attempt to convey these themes. And all without seeing the movie. Did you get the crystal ball on E-Bay or Amazon?
    The trailers portray a great deal of what is in Wells' novel. A sense of doom. Helplessness. Fear. Panic. Large scale destruction. The rout of humanity. Slaughter. The mass exodus from the cities. Perhaps you think these have no place in an adaptation of "The War of the Worlds"? Or maybe you've got a really clever way of portraying the themes of Wells' novel in a two minute cinema trailer?

Bearing in mind we are talking about two minutes of clips from a 2 hour-plus movie, I think there is adequate time for plot, character and all that other non-5.1 stuff.

Yes. Myopia, artistic conservatism and closed mindedness would have greatly p****d him off. :smoke:

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    At the risk of getting back on topic...

Exactly. If this was some cinematic hack like Paul W.S. Anderson at the helm of this movie, we'd have every right to be concerned.

But we are talking about an enormously talented film maker, who has in his adaptations of works of literature to the screen, repeatedly shown a respect for and understanding of the literary source.

The odds are well stacked in its favour. Let's hope it doesn't disappoint. :smashin:

29. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    answer to the original question, er no, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best movie ever, not some CGI reliant film :thumbsdow

30. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Guys, When I started this thread It was really to point out a trailer for a film which I belive could be more entertaining than This summers effort from mr Lucas :D

The best movie ever tag was menat to raise discusion about the film , not start arguments. :(

I for one am very much looking forward to this movie, alot more infact than I was for starwars and defenatly more than for independence day.

Lets hope Mr Speilberge delivers on the hype :thumbsup: