1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New vs Old

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DucatiEVO, Jul 22, 2004.

1. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering but what's the general thinking on new vs old speakers. For instance is an older 'top of the range' model still better than a current 'entry/mid' level speaker?

I'm using a pair of 'Ruark Prologue One R's' at the mo and they're still going strong, I've got an option of switching to the 'AE Aegis Evo Three' which are like a third what I paid originally for the Ruarks. Would these 'blow away' my Ruarks or can 'older' still cut the mustard?

I know I need to listen to them really but wondered what the general view on technology progress is etc.

thx ppl
    Chris :thumbsup:

2. steve-king

steve-king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya,

I've got Ruark Broadswords in the main room, sold off as shop soiled and end of line at £275 ten years ago (list was then £650 ish).

Two years ago I got a pair of MS speakers for the dining room. I don't even know which model, they just came from Richer Sounds and cost about £65.

Sadly they sound better then the Ruarks most of the time (even before my son damaged them).

You will only find out for sure with a proper dem, but there is a good chance you will find the modern ones to be better. Definately worth a try.