New Virgin Hub/Router Question

wulfrun

Novice Member
Today i was offered a free upgrade from 10mb bb to 30mb bb , so of course i accepted the very pleasant lady at Virgin's offer.

The new hub/router will arrive in the post next week. The possible problem is that i still want to be able to connect my LG TV and Sony Bluray to my PC.

At present my old 10mb modem is connected to a Netgear wired Router , from which i also have ethernet cables running to the TV and Bluray to watch streaming content from my PC.

So my question is will i be able to have the same set up using just the new hub/router ? Will i just need to connect the ethernet cables from my TV and Bluray into the new hub.

I know that these new hub/routers are advertised as being wireless , but i would much prefer to keep using a wired connection. Will i be able to ?

One last question . How easy are these hub/routers to set up ?

Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Virgin SuperHub has both wired and wireless router capabilities. It has 4 ethernet ports than can be used simultaneously with its wireless capabilities. You will be able to continue using wired connections as you do now.

The hub is relatively easy to set up. You needn't even bother configuring it and it should work without you having to access its setting on the hub itself. If you do need to configure the hub, the setup is much the same as any other router.

You can find help on configuring and setting up the hub here:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...YPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=

Last edited:

carl.waring

Today i was offered a free upgrade from 10mb bb to 30mb bb
Free as in "cost you nothing to upgrade but pay more per month" or free as in "cost you nothing to upgrade and not pay any more per month"? :D

If the latter, half yer ruddy luck! :(

wulfrun

Novice Member
Free as in "cost you nothing to upgrade but pay more per month" or free as in "cost you nothing to upgrade and not pay any more per month"? :D

If the latter, half yer ruddy luck! :(

The latter , but i have been paying £25 per month for 10mb , while newer customers pay £18 for 30mb . I'm not exactly sure what i'm paying for what as i changed my package contents , but i think its £18 for the broadband.

Thanks Dante01 for the info , much appreciated. Until it arrives i don't know if i'll be getting the Virgin Media Super Hub or the Virgin Media Hub Modem Router.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers

Earlier i went to Virgin Media Up to 30Mb broadband support forum and there seem to be a helluva lot of people who wish they'd never upgraded , so i hope i've done the right thing.:confused:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You should be getting the SuperHub with the 30Mb broadband package, but the basic Media Hub modem router also has both ethernet ports and wireless capabilities. Again, it will be no different to configure and setup than your existing router.

carl.waring

The latter , but i have been paying £25 per month for 10mb...
Well I'm currently paying £26 for mine, but I do get a decent discount. (But then so do other people!) Perhaps I might give them a call? ;)

Earlier i went to Virgin Media Up to 30Mb broadband support forum and there seem to be a helluva lot of people who wish they'd never upgraded , so i hope i've done the right thing.:confused:
Whilst I'm sure their claims are legitimate, don't forget that forums are a classic example of negativity bias. In a nutshell, people will usually only post to complain, not praise :)

Last edited:

wulfrun

Novice Member
You've certainly got nothing to lose by calling them . It seems to be a matter of pot luck who you get to speak to. I was offered the broadband deal without even asking for it.

You're right that you'll see a preponderance of complaints on such a forum , but it was the sheer number of them that had me worried. But i'll just have to wait till next week to find out how it works. Fortunately many of the problems seemed to be regional related , none from my neck of the woods. And being wired rather than wireless seems to be a plus.

NJR73

Novice Member
I called them recently as I wanted to upgrade from 10mb to 30mb.

My monthly bill would have increase from £43 to £62 for this change!!

No thanks Virgin.

NJR73

Novice Member
I got it for free a while ago. I told them I wanted it and that I was not willing to pay extra for it and the nice lady agreed. Depends on who you speak to.

Free would be nice but I don't mind paying for the upgrade.

10MB is £13.50 and 30MB is £18.50 on the website.

£5 extra then? No.

£19 extra for me.

Apparently I will lose all my loyalty discounts for upgrading!

I was expecting Jeremy Beadle to pop out from behind the couch after I was told that.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Apparently I will lose all my loyalty discounts for upgrading!

I was expecting Jeremy Beadle to pop out from behind the couch after I was told that.

Not really, because the newer charges will approximate your current bill with your discount. You may even find that some items are cheaper and the only increase is due to the additional charge associated with the BB upgrade. The loyalty discount is a crock of the proverbial and is about as valid as unicorns farting rainbows.

You will not be charged any more than you would be with the loyalty discount.

carl.waring

It is perfectly obvious that, even if he didn't lose any discount he would still be paying £5 more. So if he also loses his discount he will be paying even more.

A similar thing happened to me a while back. I wanted to change from XL Phone to TalkUnlimited. Although the different in cost was only around £1, I would have lost a portion (about £1.50 I think) of my "loyalty discount", so the the actual cost would have been £2.50. Which, as it happens, would have wiped out any potential savings I would have made switching packages.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is perfectly obvious that, even if he didn't lose any discount he would still be paying £5 more. So if he also loses his discount he will be paying even more.

A similar thing happened to me a while back. I wanted to change from XL Phone to TalkUnlimited. Although the different in cost was only around £1, I would have lost a portion (about £1.50 I think) of my "loyalty discount", so the the actual cost would have been £2.50. Which, as it happens, would have wiped out any potential savings I would have made switching packages.

Really?

Why is it I pay the same for my package (exc. the extra BB increase) now as I did prior to taking 50Mb BB and losing the so called loyaty discount? The discount does nothing more than keep old customer's bills inline with those of new customers and newer charges. You are at no advantage for being in any way loyal to Virgin! Your new charges are brough into line with current pricing when you upgrade and the loyalty item is removed from your bill.

The prices I pay are no different with or without the discount!

What benefit is there to never upgrading your services in return for a meaningless entry on your bill?

Last edited:

carl.waring

Because, in your case, I assume that the costs (+BB -discount) must exactly cancel each other out. Whereas in mine and NJR33's case our costs increased.

Last edited:

NJR73

Novice Member
Because, in your case, I assume that the costs (+BB -discount) must exactly cancel each other out. Whereas in mine and NJR33's case our costs increased.

Yes that sounds right.

I am getting a good discount at the moment, my package costs £65 as a new customer. I am paying £43.

I'm not prepared to lose £19 discount just to upgrade to 30mb, so i'm stuck at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

techifan

You should be getting the SuperHub with the 30Mb broadband package, but the basic Media Hub modem router also has both ethernet ports and wireless capabilities. Again, it will be no different to configure and setup than your existing router.

Do they support 2.4GHZ and 5 GHZ in dual band mode as I have devices that use both modes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom