Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Viewing Card?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Paden, Feb 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Has anyone with a Sky+ box received a new viewing card yet?

Cheers, Paul

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Nope.
    From what I have read SKY+ subscribers will be last in the line for the new cards due the new codes being incompatible with current encryption which would point to the recordings cached on the HD not be viewable with the new cards.
    Not seen any official release on this subject so I could way off track:)

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about mirror cards will we need new ones?

are these new cards just because the old encription was hacked or will they bring any new features

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've heard, there are no new features to speak of on the new cards currently. But, they may very well allow Sky to do stuff that they couldn't do with the old cards, so we might see some new features programmed into later updates.

5. Pyara

Pyara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently cancelled my sky subscription package whilst continuing to subscribe to the £10 per month for the Sky+.

I've read about new cards many times in the sky monthly magazine but I've never received one, is this just a marketing ploy or something???

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY have to send out 6million new smartcards and that will take some time even assuming everything goes well.

7. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i understand it it is not the card that delivers any of the features.

These come from the software in the box the card should only contain channel encryption info.

And no it is not a marketing ploy as there is nothing to be gained from this. It makes no difference to viewers if they do or do not change cards all it does is protect there own (sky's) system. They advertise it for so long in advance in the hope that everybody will be ready and understand it, but that is just not possible some people just can not grasp it.

Hacked is not on the agenda as that is partly why the cost is what it is because sky invest in protecting there encryption system something ITV digital didnt do and payed the ultimate price.