New Video adaptor and dScaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Mar 27, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the use of one of these new £99 adaptors over the weekend(G/F works for Pace) and it was pretty good. It accepts the card from my ITV digi box and performs well. The best bit is the output options, Composite, RGB and SVIDEO so it may be of use to HTPC/dScaler users.

The only problem is that it has a hard wired SCART output. Does anyond know is there's an adaptor that woudl convert a scart plug to and SVIDEO plug?

Nick

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hmm, want to swap for an old Philips ONdigital box with RGB and composite only!

S-Video digital terestrial for £99, sounds good. Using the above box and an RGB to S-Video converter would cost me about £60 and reportedly gives a slightly soft S-Video feed. Anyone with experience of those?

I think VA12N scart plug to S-video socket would do nicely for £9.99
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/de...2845&modulecode=&moduleno=13372&manufacturer=

Monster or somebody probably does a scart plug lead to S-Video plug plus audio.

Trouble is this solution will still give a little noise through S-Video even with an IDS Falcon card.

It's a pity the £100 Hauppage DV3 card doesn't work with DScaler yet. Apparently DScaler 4 will include plug-in type code to allow other capture chips to be added easily. This would then give no noise into DScaler, just like the expensive SDI input cards!

regards,
    Rob.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dscaler is great. If it can become totally noise free then I'd consider using the PC as just a scaler and feeding everything via S-video through my Amp!

I still like the convenience of a stand alone player, although TT player is great!

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE the output. The hard wired scart is a special cable output from the box, it is a scart plug which also receives the ariel and power. Basically only one cord into the Box.

What you'd need is a scart socket to Svideo plug adaptor. The only way I've seen so fas is a scart ocket in/out and then a Scart ot Svideo 2 phone lead.