NEW Velodyne direct drive plus (dd15+)

NSaV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Third post tonight ! wow - I must be an AVF convert.

I have a question to the community as a whole.

Anyone experienced the new DD+ range from Velodyne yet?

I ask because I am due an upgrade soon (Jan) and I have provisionally ordered a DD15+ already.... :)

Or alternatively - what would you guys order yourselves buy that would be suitable for a hard-core movie buff that also likes hip-hop, rap, dance and the occasional splurge into ''proper music - plinky plinky style''?

My (tempory) DD15 serves me well enough but previously I had two MX125Mk2s from M&K and am looking for more output, control and depth without having to lose a lot of floor real estate.

Here's hoping

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Welcome home! :D your past subs certainly have pedigree so why not considered the new Paradigm range?

I brought the new Sub1 recently and have yet to play with it until I arrive home from far far away but all the reviews are excellent including our local talent review from Mr. Russell!

You have a great choice ahead :facepalm:

Rgds

Steve

Thanks you guys.

I am not equipped to build a subwoofer moonfly. I build them for my car whenever I buy a new car but that is where I draw the line.

I have demo'ed the sub 1 and the little 'bull dog' from paradigm in store and preferred the 'bull dog'. I thought it was awesome and demo'ed it for 10 hours straight at full excursion and it never missed a beat. But, and it is a small but, it is ugly and I would need two of them at least to match my expectations, defeating the object of going to one sub in the first place.

I have asked for a dem of the sub25 which looks like a bit of a beast. Mmmmmm, Sub2 amp piped into a 15". Yes please.

Some back ground might be prudent for you moonfly. My room is tiny. I mean tiny, tiny. I wanted to save on floor real estate and go single sub because my hedonistic daysare behind me (for the most part). I am a movie nerd with a hifi background, although hifi does take the back seat most of the time tbh. I want roll the extreme lows off because the wave length available for the room isn't long enough for the lowest notes anyway and I have some buttkickers to trick me anyway. It's gotta be tight, dynamic and loud (when called for). I have approx £4k to play with.

Thanks guys.

From what your saying here, I cant see why you would replace your MK's. A layout of your room may prove useful, and I wouldnt worry about any of that wave length mumbo jumbo as you can get plenty low in a small room, not to mention you would have room gain on your side.

You could probably do a lot worse than a sub25 ( I only say probably as Ive never personally heard one myself) and for 4K your simply wont end up with anything bad. Like I say though, if your not after more depth than the MKs offer, then whats the issue. They produce loverlu upper bass and the 4 12" drivers will go plenty loud at 20/25hz and up, especially in a small room. I'm not sure I would be that tempted to throw 4k at a sub 25 or the Velo over those myself.

Hey moonfly, thanks for the comments. I do appriciate how good the mks are because I owned them longer than any other product I have ever owned before (8yrs) and haven't found anything to beat them (by comparison for my needs).

But the misses and the neighbours don't agree. The really deep stuff (hence sub sonic filter) aggravates the neighbours so as an experiment to save a relationship I am going to try it.

But the misses is the one i am really trying to please. Floor space is at a premium and I have been given just one corner not two this time around.

I know enough about subwoofers and acoustics to be dangerous and know that there ain't no replacement for cubic displacement. However, That doesn't alter the alter the fact it is going to happen. It is a bit like setting out to buy a new car only to find it doesn't live up to expectations. Yu don't go home and go, actually, I think I will keep my car afterall . Nope, you go home and keep on looking even though there is nothing wrong with your car other than you have mentally sold it.

I wanna new sub mummy and I shall hold my breath until I get one.

I will keep looking/listening.

Thanks.

Wow, this one is a strange one. You want to spend 4k on a downgrade from your current sub, that must go loud, but the neighbours and misses are dictating this one.

I'm not sure what to suggest really. The 2 subs you have mentioned are going to be just as much an issue for everyone else as your current subs. The chances are the sub 25 will displace as much air as your current subs and be as loud, and i doubt the DD15 will be all that far behind.

Some people actually do go home and decide they will just keep their car afterall.

Hi Alangner :) have to agree with previous posters. Your DD15 is still top notch :smashin: & whatever you get will be loud anyway. Looking at your signature I'd humbly suggest:

1). Getting a bigger telly, 3D perhaps ;)
2). Pioneer SC-LX83 then selling your current amp.
3). A recent dedicated EQ device - Antimode (AVForums.com - DSPeaker Anti-mode 8033 Subwoofer EQ Review at AVForums.com) or SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ (http://www.avforums.com/forums/subw...424-svs-eq1-subwoofer-eq-end-user-review.html)
4). One of the JVC DLA HD projectors.

If you must buy a new sub then the Paradigm Signature Sub 1 or Sub 2 beckons an audition :thumbsup:

He didnt like the sub1 :(

That is a high end sub though, that Russell gave a top review of, so I woud suggest a bad demo setup to blame for that one personally.

He didnt like the sub1 :(

That is a high end sub though, that Russell gave a top review of, so I woud suggest a bad demo setup to blame for that one personally.

I doubt it was badly set up because The rep did it when he dropped it to the store for the demo. It just wasn't to my taste, as good as it was. Same reason why 'the hamster' likes porches and 'jezza' doesn't. Personal taste.

As far as my decision for what sub to get.

Sod it.

I am sticking to the plan and keeping my order for the DD15+ as it seems to tick all the boxes and should better what I have now and hopefully what I had previously.

I am seriously looking into the eq side. I need to track one down to play with before I commit. The new dd is said to have processing on board (via a laptop) and should hopefully negate the need for yet another box.

Thank you all for your opinions. I never normally use the Internet for anything like this because I usually know what I want then go get it. But in this case I was actually hoping to get moonflys opinion because I have read through a lot of his posts with great interest and admiration. He is obviously someone with a passion for bass and it was nice to pick his (and the community as a whole) brain(s).

When it finally arrives I will post a few comments and maybe a few pictures to.

Thanks again

Signing off

Andrew

Thanks all you guys.

But in this case I was actually hoping to get moonflys opinion because I have read through a lot of his posts with great interest and admiration.

He makes it up as he goes along in reality ;)

Out of interest, what have they done to the DD15 to make it a "plus"?

Personally, I would probably lean towards the Paradigm over the Velodyne, but both are reveered. I look forward to your thoughts.

Banga, give my regards to Al, and have your ;) back :smashin: When you have a fuller understanding of the whole sub bass subject, I look forward to to some proper detailed discussion with you. Until then, lets have less of the smart comments please. Cheers

Banga, give my regards to Al, and have your ;) back :smashin: When you have a fuller understanding of the whole sub bass subject, I look forward to to some proper detailed discussion with you. Until then, lets have less of the smart comments please. Cheers

Well that was taken in the completely wrong way :rolleyes:
Apologies...

Last edited:
When you have a fuller understanding of the whole sub bass subject, I look forward to to some proper detailed discussion with you. Until then, lets have less of the smart comments please. Cheers

Not likely!

All here prostrate yourselves in worship before the font of sub bass knowledge that is Moonfly!

Adam :)

Well that was taken in the completely wrong way :rolleyes:
Apologies...
My bad. The issue is obviously mine then. Sorry Banga, I obviously got the wrong end of the sticl with that one.
Not likely!

All here prostrate yourselves in worship before the font of sub bass knowledge that is Moonfly!

Adam :)
:D

I have publically made as many errors as anyone else and ended up with an egg face pack. I just take an unhealthy interest in sub bass, and like to think i'm not completely clueless. My comment to Banga was in relation to a discussion I had with someone else on another forum, which I thought he was reffering to.

I think I've probably done enough damage to this thread to put another black mark against my name though :suicide:, so I must also appologise to the OP.

Now, where were we . . . . . . . .

That "Al" bit did throw me a bit! I was actually trying to compliment your knowledge without sucking up too much!! :blush:

Anyway, no harm done. Back to the new Velodyne range :thumbsup:

Just so you guys know - it is delayed again.... Booooo. Not arriving now unril the end of Feb!

As soon as it arrives i will post some piccies..

Cannot believe the rrp of the new dd15+ is £4500 not worth it in my opinion:mad:

Phil..

Not yet!

My comment is just based on what seems a very high price compared to other high end subs.

Would love to hear it though. I might change my mind then.

I am more than happy with my dd15:) at the moment

Phil..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom