1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New v S/H for A400 and Marantz CD63SE combo

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mrrinse, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mrrinse

mrrinse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    About to receive a s/h system and need some speakers. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a partner for a Marantz CD63 SE and a Pioneer A400. Ideally bookshelves, and ideally cheap!

I'd tempted by some S/H Linn Tukans, but they're a bit too expensive (and I suspect overpriced at around 280 uk + pnp). Some Linn Index IIs, s/h, are also an option. Failing that I'm really looking at B&W 601 S3s or Mission M71i's (both new at around 70-80 uk). Wharfdale 9.1 look tempting, but again c. 180 uk... a little beyond the budget.

What the advice on s/h v new, pound for pound?

I'm also wondering how much hi-fi technology has advanced in the last 8 - 15 years... would 400 pound speakers from 90 or 95 stack up against 200 new ones (like the Wharfdales)? I appreciate that speaker technology seems slower moving than that of amps or cds players, but I'm left wondering how far things have really advanced recently on all these front (or is it just a conspiracy from the manufacturers to encourage us to upgrade!!!).

Interconnect and speaker cable recommendations also welcome.

Thanks for any comments.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    You could look at the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus package at about £400, it includes the well received MS309 subwoofer as well, and the rest of the package is very good. They might be a little bright for the Pioneer though, in which case, I believe Wharfdale do a Diamond sub sat package for £500 retail.

Anyone else with more thoughts?

3. mudan

mudan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kazman, I believe MrRinse is after some Hi-fi speakers for his stereo only A400 amp, not a multi channel sub-sat package.

I'm not entirely sure what to recommend but I know the new Diamond range has been well reviewed.