1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by fletchyboy, Jul 9, 2005.

1. fletchyboy

fletchyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so bored of playing Pro Evolution soccer 4 by myself that I am thinking of going on Xbox live.

I have AOL broadband at home but will I need anything more other than the starter pack?

Thanks
    Fletch

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    gonna need more info than that. do you have a router? does your PC have a network card? does (G)AOL support xbox live? etc etc

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    :D :rotfl:

Like Pooon says really, essentially you need a way of connecting your X-Box to your BB connection via a Cat 5 cable (with an RJ-45 connector). You can do internet sharing but the best bet is to connect your X-box direct (i.e. not through your PC). If your modem doesn't have an RJ-45 socket on it then you will need a router or better still a combined ADSL Modem/Router.

Once you've sorted the connections out then yes, all you will need is a starter pack. Infact you don't even need that (you can set it up direct through your X-box) but it's generally the cheapest way and saves you buying a separate headset.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Did you like that!!!1 :D

5. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Pooontang and CAS FAN said you will need a bit more than the starter pack. If you are nearing the end of your contract with AOL i would be tempted to kick them into touch they really arn't that great in terms of online gaming (trust me i know).

Quickest and cheapest way though is to route it through your PC using a Ethernet Crossover cable (Cat 5) thats assuming you have a network card in your PC cheap enough on ebay if not. Its pretty straight forward to setup and, in fairness to AOL, they NOW have full instructions on how to configure your network conection, Firewall and Xbox which is pretty much fool proof (it only accessable from their software). The crossover cable isn't included in the starter pack and unless you go wireless you will definately need a long one, ask arround if you know anybody who works in an office, they always have loads of them lying about otherwise there are literally hundreds of places you can get them from online. :smashin: