1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User Please help advice needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ayub, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Hello, i'm new to the forum.

I have a few questions

i would like to use my computer as a playing device when i watch films. I have a good colection of films and i want to use my computer to play my cd's too.

My question is

if i get a new sound card would that better my sound ( i have a standard 16 bit sound card audio labs came with my computer)

Also when i play my films does my internal graphic card make a diference ( 128 ddr/hercules)

the reason i ask the question is i'm going to but a av amp i was thinking of a Yam AX1 as its all singing and dancing i thought i would not need a sound card upgrade.

second i was thinking of a projector so i wanted to know if getting a better graphic card was needed.

finally does anyone have any infomation on any sites which show speaker placments.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,075
    Hi

Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you will find the answers here to all your questions and some you hadn't even thought about!

The Radeon graphics cards seem to be a more popular choice than Nvidia on this forum for HCPC (home cinema PC) purposes. If you do a search on Radeon there should be a lot of replies come up to help you. (search is at the top right of the page).

Also a newer sound card should improve the quality. Also does your current soundcard have an sp/dif or other digital output? If not you will definitely need a newer one. Again a search will bring up lots of help for you on this.

Not sure what your budget is, but the Panasonic projectors get very good mentions on the forum. I have the old model AE-100 myself which I am very pleased with but you can get the newer models from about £750 upwards.

Hope this helps.
    Greg

3. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    turn by turn i will be "up grading" the last thing i want to upgrade to is the projector. If i buy it now it will not help my budget. I will in time spend a fair bit on my system. my soundcard is not a good one i wiould like people to make recomendations if possible.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Welcome.....it's well worth talking to Branxx about PC soundcards,but the M-Audio Revolution is a good card,and the Audiotrak Prodigy192 is also worth a look at the lower price range,especially if used simply as a digital throughput to an external DAC/processor.

5. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    thanks i will when i see the user online.