1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New user; new Loewe Aconda issues

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FeedTheFreak, Dec 9, 2002.

1. FeedTheFreak

FeedTheFreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First post, so apologies if this is covered in the vaults of AV Forums...

I got my Aconda 9381ZW on Friday, and sat it gleefully on my newly constructed Ash Cosmic stand, then settled down to watch Lord of the Rings...

However, I was more than a little disappointed when it rendered my favourite film of last year to a bad episode of Xena.

It must be the factory settings, but every effect shot looked completely 'obvious'. Interiors looked like they were shot in a studio, exteriors like they were on DV cam.

Is this 100HZ for me? Is this what having clarity means? That you lose the magic of film? It seemed to need more 'flatness'...

I tried turning down the contrast (from the factory '50' to round about '32' and turned the brightness up a bit (to '23').

Am I alone in this, or do I just have the wrong settings?

My DVD player is a Sony (and right now, I forget the model, but it's pretty good) - again, are there any settings I should have tweaked?

Much help appreciated in advance from other Aconda users out there.

2. EvilCartman

EvilCartman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll need to turn off some of the picture processing options: come on guys, help him out. I sent him here...

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    See if these settings are any better take a note of yours befor altering but I think switching off restores original setting if the new settings are not stored..
    Contrast 45
    Picture Adjustment Normal
    Colour 39
    Brightness 22
    Sharp 2
    Tint 0
    DNC On
    DMI Off
    AMD On

Hope this helps.
    Garrett

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Welcome to the forums :)

I know exactly what you're talking baout. You need to turn off all processing modes. The settings you are looking for are found in the Picture Menu. Scroll down and set DMM/DMI mode to off. Next turn DNR mode off. Leave AMD mode On. Problem solved :).

Colour/Contrast/Brightness settings will vary from room to room & set to set (you'll notice mine are a good bit different to Garrett's for example) but I have mine set to the following (calibrated with AVIA):

Colour: 32
    Contrast: 38
    Brightness: 25
    Sharpness: 1 (this may take some getting used to but stick with it)

If you want to save these settings you need to call up the main Menu and select Standard Settings Menu. Then select "Store as Personal Settings" to store them. You can offcourse reset the factory settings by calling these up (from the same menu) at any time.

See what you think after trying the above and get back to me if you have any questions.

5. FeedTheFreak

FeedTheFreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll give those settings a try.

Currently, I also need to sort the channels out - as soon as I connected the arial to the video I could only change channel with the video remote. Arial straight into the telly, and I couldn't tape anything except what was on AV1.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    Groundy will probably give you a better answer but have you got the scart in the right socket on you video?
    Why you can only change the tv with the video have you got the remote on VTR or DVD? A light will show green at the top left of the remote, if so press the SV button second one down from the light till it goes out.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    Well did any of the suggestions work FeedTheFreak?

9. FeedTheFreak

FeedTheFreak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, I haven't tried them. Got back from work at 10pm the last few days, and I'm also waiting for Telewest to come and fix the STB that broke within 3 WEEKS of installation.

What I did try was settings DMM / DMI to 'off' which seemed to give the (analogue) picture a sharper / harsher look.

I'll be having a proper play on Saturday.