1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User, Help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Sands, May 27, 2002.

1. Sands

Sands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am pretty new to the camcorder market and was wondering if anyone could help me? I am in the process of purchasing a digital mini DV camera. What I want is to be able to view/store and create my own DVD's of the footage I produce. Therefore can anyone please tell me what equipment/software/ hardware I require to be able to do this myself and will I be able to also transfer exsisting S-VHS, VHS tapes into DVD's with this equipment.

I will have access to a PC and intend to purchase a firewire card.

Any help/info on the above will be appreciated.
    :confused:

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The start of a long, but ultimately very worthwhile, journey.

First you will need a fairly powerful PC preferably a P4 with a lot of fast hard drive space and 2 spare PCI exapnsion slots. A sound card must be included. Its a good idea to have a second (slave) 7200rpm HDD of at least 40Gb solely for video.

The PC will require a Firewire port for capturing DV. The most common way to get a Firewire port is to fit a Firewire expansion card, but some other cards include them as an extra facility e.g the Creative Audigy sound card - which is an excellent sound card anyway.

For capturing analogue video (composite video and S-video) you will need an analogue capture card. I would recommend the Pinnacle Studio DC10+.

This DC10+ card comes with Pinnacle Studio 7 editing package, which will also aquire DV through a standard Firewire port.

Studio 7 is arguably the best value video editing software on the market. Later, it can be enhanced by purchasing an upgrade for making very professional 3D transitions - the sort you see on TV. Studio 7 works best with an nVidia graphics card.

Studio 7 is very intuitive and I have installed it on several systems.

You can use Studio 7 to output directly to MPEG2 files which can then be used by a DVD authoring program to burn DVD's. It is far better to use a seperate MPEG encoder such as TMPGEnc, which is available as freeware, and use this to make the MPEG2's. The quality can be quite outstanding.

To burn a DVD you will need a DVD authoring program. I have just researched and tested several of these and concluded that the best is actually one of the cheapest, Ulead DVD MovieFactory. This program takes the MPEG2, or a DV AVI, and produces a DVD disc image file which it will then write to DVD.

To write true DVD's you will also require DVD writer. Currently these are rather expensive, but buy one that supports DVD+R or DVD-R discs as they will eventually be much cheaper than RW's. Its not a clear cut case but I would buy a DVD+RW/+R drive.

If a DVD writer is too expensive then you can, with lower quailty, write VCD's on a standard CD Writer. To write VCD's you will need Roxio EasyCD Platinum or Nero to burn the VCD.

I hope all this does not put you off - the results of DV to DVD can be really superb.

3. Sands

Sands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant reply Jefuk, Many Thanks

4. TBOP150

TBOP150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there not some digital camcorders that play vhs tapes and transform the vhs into digital?