Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New user help on PANA DMR-E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Richard8655, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Richard8655

Richard8655

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

New owner of Panasonic DMR-E55K. Can anyone advise me about the folllowing?

1) No chapters appear on my finalized 6-hour DVD-R (now DVD Video). Only one chapter for the entire 6-hour recording appears under Direct Navigator. Rumor is that 5-minute auto chapters were supposed to have been inserted automatically. Is there some setting I missed to active this automatic feature?

2) Confused about which DVD-R discs work and which don't with this unit.
    Local store (shop for UK readers) has variety of DVD-R's, but disc speed selections vary from 2X, 1-4X, 8X, 16X, up to 52X . The Pana DMR-E55 manual seems to imply only 1-4X DVD-R discs should be used. Does this mean that higher speed discs are incomaptible with this unit?

Thanks, Richard

2. CHR1S

CHR1S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard - I will try to help with my limited knowledge....

1) If you press the Skip button it will forward the movie by aprox 5 minutes, likewise if you press the numbered buttons on the remote this corresponds to chapters...

2) I believe the best DVD-R discs are the Panasonic own brand type, however I have used bth Datawrite 4x & 8x and Rytec 4x speed DVD-R discs with only 1 of the Datawrite 4x discs giving me any bother with playback on another stand-alone player. I think the speed of the disc is pretty irrelivent - the max speed DVD-R currently avaliable is 8x, i think you are refering to CD-R when you mean 52x?

Chris

3. Richard8655

Richard8655

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Thanks much. The 5 minute skip worked. Not documented anywhere in the manual. And they don't show up as separate chapters, which I would have thought would be displayed as chapters under Direct Navigator.

Yes, you're right. I was confused by 52X, as those disics would be CD-R. Glad to hear we can use just about any speed DVD-R disc with the E55.

Again, thanks for enlightening me.

Richard

4. ScoobyWR1

ScoobyWR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have just bought a DMRE55EBS. Regarding reply to question 1, I have tried pressing skip buttons but nothing happens, pressing manual skip just skips by 30 seconds. Is there any way to alter this in the settings anywhere?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Although I've yet to try it there is a 'create chapter' button on the remote control for my E55.

6. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does say in the manual that when a DVD-R is finalised chapters of approximately 5 minutes are created but it doesn't seem to be happening with my E55.