New used car for the GF - £10k-£12k - Diesel

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's another one of those 'what car to get threads', but slightly different. My GF is giving back her company Avensis 2.0 diesel, and is being given a £5k interest-free loan to buy her own car.

The company still pays her fuel (and gives her back a good chunk of salary), but she needs to pay tax, insurance and maintenance.

She's decided that she'll put another £5k or so towards it, but won't lease a new one, as her job could move her abroad at any time, or get a new company car with promotion (and she'll not be able to sell the car if it's leased).

Other stipulations are that it must be used, still in warranty, diesel, relatively efficient, a hard top if applicable and not too expensive to insure. I've drawn up a list of cars she should look at to get an idea of what to consider, to which she is so far okay with.

Mini Cooper D (bit small, but she loves them)
Ford Focus
Renault Megane
Honda Civic
VW Golf/EOS
Seat Leon
BMW 1 Series
Audi A3
Mazda 3
Mazda MX-5 (she's willing to have petrol if a decent hard top is found on this car only!)
Volvo S40
Toyota Auris

She refuses to look at Skoda (despite my protests) and Vauxhall (I didn't protest). She wants something a bit nicer than the French lineup, but I think she would look at the Megane with a push.

What I want to know, is the actual motorway MPG consumption on the various diesel engines on these models and what size the engine is. I know people like to brag about how amazing their consumption is, but honesty is a virtue :)

Despite what she says, I know she drives at 80 mph more than she would let me believe, and her 2.0D Avensis still does 55 mpg average. My concern is that smaller diesel engines will not be as efficient at motorway speeds as their larger counterparts.

All opinions and facts relating to the MPG are very welcome indeed.

Many thanks,
tsf.

A class merc

gonna get one for SWIMBO next year

A class merc

gonna get one for SWIMBO next year

As above, opinions on the fuel consumption of the cars listed is appreciated.

To put it in her words exactly about the A class "I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those ugly things. It looks like it would fall over."

As above, opinions on the fuel consumption of the cars listed is appreciated.

To put it in her words exactly about the A class "I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those ugly things. It looks like it would fall over."

each to there own, i like the new one alot, very classy inside

fuel economy for all cars are listed, asking individuals is pretty pointless as most guestimate what they get and not every one hyper miles

best thing you can do is short list a few and let her go drive them and make her own mind up, cant go wrong then

as for the list the bimmer will be the most fun, the toyota/honda the most reliable, mx5s are a hoot but not very practicle

Last edited:
each to there own, i like the new one alot, very classy inside

Again, sure. I'm not the one buying - she is. Her mind is made up already on that front :)

fuel economy for all cars are listed, asking individuals is pretty pointless as most guestimate what they get and not every one hyper miles

best thing you can do is short list a few and let her go drive them and make her own mind up, cant go wrong then

as for the list the bimmer will be the most fun, the toyota/honda the most reliable, mx5s are a hoot but not very practicle

She's going to be looking at each one, as I mentioned in my original post, but there's no way she'll be able to get an idea of real fuel consumption without some input from the masses - guessed, or otherwise.

She does indeed like the 1 Series, but prefers the saloon (pricey). She's also a bit worried about moving to RWD.

Her mother has a 2.0D Auris and it's okay, but she thinks it's a bit boring. I've also read that the Honda fuel consumption is hit and miss for the diesels.

I reckon the MX-5 will be struck off for being petrol and smaller, but she needs to see this for herself before she'll listen! :)

I'd go for a 118/120 Sport, dont think you'd get a 3 door hatch for the money. They should get very good mpg, i can get 43mpg in my 2.0l petrol Z4 without taking it easy.

MX5 aint bad and the coupe has a folding hard top but when i test drove one side by side with the Z4 it didnt stand a chance. The 1.8 is meant to be a quieter better engine in the MX5 aswell.

She does indeed like the 1 Series, but prefers the saloon (pricey). She's also a bit worried about moving to RWD.

My wife had the 1 series; with a 118/120 you really won't notice the RWD (unless she floors it around a corner in the wet).

Really nice cars and bloody fantastic to drive. Only negative is they are a bit pricey.

When they first came out, they did fall over!
It famously failed what's known as the 'Elk Test' in a Swedish Magazine in 1997.
Where they simulate swerving for an Elk, and the thing rolled.:eek:
A Trabant tested at the same time passed it without any problems!
Mercedes had to go back to the drawing board and hastily widen the track (distance between the wheels) etc.

Last edited:
My wife had the 1 series; with a 118/120 you really won't notice the RWD (unless she floors it around a corner in the wet).

Even then, she shouldn't notice anything if the traction control is switched on.
Unless I have the TC off in my BMW, I can floor it around a corner in the wet and everything is controlled for me with a minimum of drama.

When they first came out, they did fall over!
It famously failed what's known as the 'Elk Test' in a Swedish Magazine in 1997.
Where they simulate swerving for an Elk, and the thing rolled.:eek:
A Trabant tested at the same time passed it without any problems!
Mercedes had to go back to the drawing board and hastily widen the track (distance between the wheels) etc.

MKII W169 is 100% different, completely redesigned and feels about 40% bigger (11 inches longer)

wouldn't touch the mk1 with a barge pole

i like the new 09 look as well

Last edited:
MKII W169 is 100% different, completely redesigned and feels about 40% bigger (11 inches longer)

I'm still not keen personally. My grandma and her husband considered one, but decided not to, even though it was easier for her to climb into with a bad back. I asked why and she said she didn't want to be seen in an old person's car. (they ended up with a brand new 1.8T A4 curiously)

I read about the originals falling over a while back and my boss had one as a courtesy car and said it was horrible to drive compared to her C270. Different league, sure, but I've yet to find someone that enjoys them.

Even then, she shouldn't notice anything if the traction control is switched on.
Unless I have the TC off in my BMW, I can floor it around a corner in the wet and everything is controlled for me with a minimum of drama.

I'll certainly make sure she has a go in one (myself too), so thanks for the heads-up there. I've heard the engines are pretty impressive too, so always a bonus to have decent grunt with the decent economy.

I'd go for a 118/120 Sport, dont think you'd get a 3 door hatch for the money. They should get very good mpg, i can get 43mpg in my 2.0l petrol Z4 without taking it easy.

MX5 aint bad and the coupe has a folding hard top but when i test drove one side by side with the Z4 it didnt stand a chance. The 1.8 is meant to be a quieter better engine in the MX5 aswell.

Yeah she's not one to race like a chav, just likes to get to where she needs to be (a good thing imo). It'll be interesting to see what she thinks of the MX-5 - the Z4 wouldn't interest her in the slightest.

I got an 07 MX5 for my wife. Nice car in Summer, impracticle the rest of the year. Got about 38 to the gallon.

Currently got a 118D SE, tis true they are not so good in the snow, but as stated they come with DTC and DSC so she really won't see any problem unless it is very snowy/icy. This currently gives about 53 to the gallon.

Best getting one that is a facelifted(07) model as it has efficient dynamics but not above 58 as they dropped the spec to keep the price the same, so you don't get puddle lights; auto dipping mirror; Climate(just Aircon) or multifunction steering wheel. May have to go above your budget but they are a nice car to drive.

I got an 07 MX5 for my wife. Nice car in Summer, impracticle the rest of the year. Got about 38 to the gallon.

Currently got a 118D SE, tis true they are not so good in the snow, but as stated they come with DTC and DSC so she really won't see any problem unless it is very snowy/icy. This currently gives about 53 to the gallon.

Best getting one that is a facelifted(07) model as it has efficient dynamics but not above 58 as they dropped the spec to keep the price the same, so you don't get puddle lights; auto dipping mirror; Climate(just Aircon) or multifunction steering wheel. May have to go above your budget but they are a nice car to drive.

How are BMW in terms of haggling for discounts in the current climate? She'd like to spend around £10k, but if the starting point is higher and worked down ... :thumbsup:

How are BMW in terms of haggling for discounts in the current climate? She'd like to spend around £10k, but if the starting point is higher and worked down ... :thumbsup:

Even Aberdeen's BMW dealer, long sheltered from the economic downturn by Aberdeen's own micro-economy, has 'money off' stickers on their cars.:thumbsup:
I noticed £3k off stickers on a brand new 5-series just the other week.
Presumably, that's just a starting point as well.

Last edited:
Even Aberdeen's BMW dealer, long sheltered from the economic downturn by Aberdeen's own micro-economy, has 'money off' stickers on their cars.:thumbsup:
I noticed £3k off stickers on a brand new 5-series just the other week.
Presumably, that's just a starting point as well.

That's worth noting you know ... I'd be willing to go nationally for a better deal (and there's always a better deal somewhere...).

Might as well point you to the post I made HERE.

The guy who has the car loves it and I think he got it when it was new or very low milage.

I have a 2.2 Diesel in my Laguna but gives same power as the one in the Megane GT dCi so we get the same economy roughly. For Motorway driving it is anywhere between low and high 40's depending on how hard you drive it. Official figures are just over 50mpg.

There is also an even sportier 175 Bhp diesel version but not sure what its like.

Might as well point you to the post I made HERE.

The guy who has the car loves it and I think he got it when it was new or very low milage.

I have a 2.2 Diesel in my Laguna but gives same power as the one in the Megane GT dCi so we get the same economy roughly. For Motorway driving it is anywhere between low and high 40's depending on how hard you drive it. Official figures are just over 50mpg.

There is also an even sportier 175 Bhp diesel version but not sure what its like.

Yeah I had a feeling they had improved a lot, but the GF has had two French cars now and has had stupid problems with both (albeit very fixable). She'd have a go in one with persuasion, but I know what she's like and she'll get snobbier than me about it! :rotfl:

Many thanks for the input - definitely good to know some real-life figures.

Ford Focus FTW or 2.0 TDCI Mondeo if only for the cruising potential, fuel economy, probs close to 50mpg.

Liam

Ford Focus FTW or 2.0 TDCI Mondeo if only for the cruising potential, fuel economy, probs close to 50mpg.

Liam

While I know it's good (Mondeo), when the Avensis manages a good 55 mpg in the same size engine and chassis, it's hard to convince her it's worth going for. It's obviously going to have more kit (hers is currently a bit basic I guess), but being less efficient is a pain :(

mini cooper D has cracking economy according to the mags, but they arent cheap you will struggle to get one for less than 12k same with the 118d.

Fingers crossed the dealers are desperate. We were looking online at some 118d models last night and she's aware they are good, but she really doesn't like the interior much.

I've told her to save opinions like that for when she's driven one :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom