New ULEZ comes into force today central London

Over by there

Prominent Member
Reaction score
ULEZ. Ultra Low Emissions Zone.
An extension of the LEZ in the centre of London.
London's new pollution charge begins
Checker here
Check your vehicle
All for air quality myself but the government (doesn't matter what flavour) pushed a lot of people to oil burners and now could find themselves with a nasty ££ surprise.

Not exactly just happened, it has been known about for some time. No big deal for me but how many have just had their costs go up.
But who else in the councils of other towns and cities will be watching?

I hope they are watching as the whole region and other regions are suffering pretty bad from air pollution.

Mapped: Where is air pollution killing the most people?

pollution.jpg

2015? Wonder what todays figures are for a comparison.

My fear is councils watching for instant cash grab not actually for health.

I checked my registration number and I’m exempt from both LEZ and ULEZ, which surprised me, but maybe I misunderstood the criteria

Working in Lambeth I am affected by this during certain shifts so I'm a bit annoyed as I'm only in the zone for 5 minutes a day.

While I agree with the need for air pollution to be improved what I don't agree with is the fact that it is active 24 hours a day. It should be within the hours of the congestion zone in my opinion (7am to 6pm). If I'm working a night shift it is potentially costing me £48 for a 12 hour shift, and I'm only in the zone for 10 minutes! This is not fair in my opinion.

My car is a Mercedes C Class 2010 diesel (Euro 5)

My dirty diesel is exempt.

What would be fun to see ...

You know when you are ordering things online and get to the delivery part and it often places like the Scottish Highlands are not included in the standard delivery charge. Well it would be nice to see the same treatment for addresses with the congestion zone. Then see how popular it is.

I’m not anti congestion zones its just a thought that occured to me.

Cheers,

Nigel

If I'm working a night shift it is potentially costing me £48 for a 12 hour shift, and I'm only in the zone for 10 minutes! This is not fair in my opinion.
It is odd that in this day and age they cannot time you, go in at five to midnight and come ten minutes later and you get hit twice, wonder where that came on the doable cost list vs gain.

I get that for a single nightshift you suffer 2 days' charges, but surely for five consecutive nightshifts you'd be charged for 6 days?
As in, journey home in the morning and back to work the same evening would bill as one day?
Still unfair as passing through (counter to the major traffic flow) at 30mph is much cleaner on all counts than sitting in near-stationary traffic with your engine having to restart every time you can move.

What about diesel trains? And when it expands in 2021 London city airport will be in the zone, will they have to pay? Hope so.

What about diesel trains? And when it expands in 2021 London city airport will be in the zone, will they have to pay? Hope so.
All getting electrified? Though the trains on great western have diesel units for when the electric runs out. Seriously.

The gantries are not extended past Cardiff or something, not sure about the south west.

It is odd that in this day and age they cannot time you, go in at five to midnight and come ten minutes later and you get hit twice, wonder where that came on the doable cost list vs gain.

They could easily do that but why would they when they can get double the £££

If I was driving in Central London for 12 hours a day I could accept it but in my scenario it does not work at all as I'm only in the ULEZ for about 10 minutes a day!

I don't drive into work all the time as I get the train sometimes from Basingstoke so it could be worse but I won't be selling my car because of it.

It's the 24 hr charge I don't like, as I said earlier it should be the congestion zone times (7am to 6pm)

What about all the old black cabs that emit shed loads of horrible black smoke all throughout London??

No idea on the cabs.
Emissions standards for taxis

Don't live there, no idea if the above is working. Would not be surprised if it is not. Another thing that got me was the amount of mini cabs. Never used them, but always pestered by them.

Radio 4 (player catchup world at one 33 minutes in) saying Manchester looking at this as well.

Yay, I just bought a 7 year old diesel :rolleyes: But as I haven't driven into a major city for 20 years or so it won't affect me, and if the local town introduces it, we have the electric one.

My 18 year old 3 series is also exempt, but i i do not drive into London !

All getting electrified? Though the trains on great western have diesel units for when the electric runs out. Seriously.

The gantries are not extended past Cardiff or something, not sure about the south west.
I think the gantries stop at Bristol, then they go onto diesel I see them fairly regularly going through Taunton, very quiet even on diesel.

I think the gantries stop at Bristol, then they go onto diesel I see them fairly regularly going through Taunton, very quiet even on diesel.
They are going through the tunnel, lots of works to set it up, diversions on weekends etc. Seems they are stopping at Caridiff with the leccy. Used to get the train up to London fairly regular and last I used it it was around Swindon they turned on the diesels. Making progress then.

I do find it surprising/annoying that a Euro 5 Petrol is reckoned to be as good as a Euro 6 Diesel. Hardly consistent is it :(

I do find it surprising/annoying that a Euro 5 Petrol is reckoned to be as good as a Euro 6 Diesel. Hardly consistent is it :(
I guess they focus on the particles....

It's a shame that classic cars will be charged an extra £12.50 on top now :( Yet the GTI will use a heck of a lot less fuel than the AMG we've got. Yet the latter is allowed to go in, purely based on age and type approval opposed to actual emissions. The system is madness.

I had to drive to Finchley today from the south coast. The M25, the A3 and the North and South Circulars were all absolutely horrendous. A normally 4 hour round trip outside of the rush hours took me 6 hours.

I can't help but think a lot of extra traffic on peripheral routes is people avoiding the ULEZ.

I had to drive to Finchley today from the south coast. The M25, the A3 and the North and South Circulars were all absolutely horrendous. A normally 4 hour round trip outside of the rush hours took me 6 hours.

I can't help but think a lot of extra traffic on peripheral routes is people avoiding the ULEZ.

Just think what will happen when its expanded to the A406. It may be my imagination but the LEZ signs start at the M1 junction 2, so one day it might even get pushed out to the M25 zone.

You cannot deny congestion charging has massivly improved traffic in central, and with all the public transport in London it works fine.

Am actually surprised other bigger cities haven't implemented it. Though no other city in the UK has a public transport system as good as London.

I think many probably have looked at it but our council for example is absolutely strapped for cash. They would get keel hauled for the initial outlay. I think a lot of places area also feeling he pinch.

There is one street near us that is one of the highest polluted in the area (yeah OK, not the same as a city). Always nose to tail for an hour or two in the mornings. It is one of the main roads into town (of around 4 roads) and no real other way but a lot of people are driving from within walking distance. But I cannot equate the numbers to the spaces and think that many are just taking a short cut. At least two issues (obviously there are people that need to use their car). Lazy and short cut.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom