New UK DVD releases!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Some excellent news... in my opinion! The amazingly gritty British drama "Cracker" is to be (finally) released on Region 2 DVD, from VCI. The release date is 12th May 2003, and each disc will contain one, complete story, for the lovely cheap price of just £8-99 each! :clap:

The releases, will be:

Disc 1: Season 1, Episode 1
(The Mad Woman In The Attic - 95 mins approx)

Disc 2: Season 1, Episode 2
(To Say I Love You - 150 mins approx)

Disc 3: Season 1, Episode 3
(One Day A Lemming Will Fly - 95 mins approx)

Disc 4: Season 2, Episode 1
(To Be A Somebody - the controversial "Hillsborough disaster" episode, which introduced us to the superb actor Robert Carlyle - 150 mins approx)

Disc 5: Season 2, Episode 2
(The Big Crunch - 150 mins approx)

Disc 6: Season 2, Episode 3
(Men Should Weep - the notorious "all black men are rapists" episode, that caused a lot of problems for Granada TV when it originally aired in 1994. 150 mins approx)

Disc 7: Season 3, Episode 1
(Brotherly Love - 150 mins approx)

Disc 8: Season 3, Episode 2
(Best Boys - 95 mins approx)

Disc 9: Season 3, Episode 3
(True Romance - 95 mins approx)

Disc 10: Cracker Special
(White Ghost - the Chinese episode. 105 mins approx)

At the moment, only Discs 1, 2 and 3 are available exclusively from MVC, in a boxed set, for £27-99. However, the rest of the series was not released. As such, I'd wait until May, when the whole series will be released, and be available from any half-decent DVD retailer/e-tailer. I can't wait to get these, when they are released!

Enjoy! :)

Pooch

the notorious "all black men are rapists" episode
That's rather a misrepresentation, if I may say so. :)

Without wishing to give too much of the plot away, the story features a black man who rapes white women. This attracted a great deal of negative comment at the time because it was judged to be simultaneously unrealistic (real rapists tend to stick within their own ethnic group) and pandering to a nasty racial stereotype.

The story was originally shown in two or three parts (I forget which) and the uproar occurred after the first episode. If you actually wait to see the whole story then a lot of things are explained which put things in a rather different (although still not altogether persuasive) light.

Nicholas,

You are right. It is a misrepresentation, and as a black man, that was why I made that comment, because that was the problem that Granada encountered when they originally aired the episode.

You are also correct, in that if you do watch the entire three-part story, then a lot is revealed about why the rapist does what he does.

Pooch

Don't agree with me, it only encourages me. :)

Again without wishing to give away too much of the plot, if we ignore the somewhat questionable psychological profile of the aforementioned character, the story actually has a lot of very intelligent things to say about the psychology of rape, not just the impact on the victim (which is well documented elsewhere) but also the effect it has on those around the victim, and indeed on the psychology of the typical (non-serial) sex offender.

DVD Source are now listing this as a BOXSET and confirm it is a 10 disc release as I suspected

Choices Direct - £55.99 delivered
DVD Source - £62.99 delivered

If anyone finds a better price,can you post it as I'm itching to put an order in soon - only 7 weeks to release
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Originally posted by NicolasB
Don't agree with me, it only encourages me. :)

Cracker was rather a good series and I am pleased to see that Nicolas appreciated itv as i was beginning to think from his recent posts that he was buying all this high end gear to watch second rate B scifi reruns on the TV :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom