1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New U2 CD-awful sound on i-pod mini

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by brotherbear, Nov 24, 2004.

1. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got an i-pod mini and have transferred quite a few CD's to it without problems using MP3 encoding at 192 kbps

I got the new U2 album and put that onto the i-pod mini. It all transferred OK but the sound is absolutely appauling. It's the only CD that I've transferred that suffers from such awful quality in sound. The bass is awful and just seems to break up and distort, and the vocals are pretty scratchy too.

Any ideas why this particular CD transfers to the i-pod with such awful quality?

Also, I've read here that I can increase the volume on the i-pod by downloading some program. How do I do this? Is the software for doing this safe? Will it work on i-pod mini?

Lastly, I don't seem to get the 8 hour battery life stated. I reckon it's about 5 hours I get. Thats without using the backlight. Is this because I've only charged the battery twice since new and will the life get better over the next few charges? Does turning the i-pod on/off decrease battery life? Is the 8 hours stated on continuous play i.e from turning on once then playing continuously?

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Brotherbear,

I have ripped this album at the same bitrate, also MP3 fomat. I am using an Archos AV420 but can confirm that the album plays back perfectly on this machine.

3. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have this album on my 4G Ipod 20GB encoded @ 160kbps and it sounds perfect.

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Bit off topic, but I am about to upgrade my AV340 to an AV440. How do you find the new machine and what's the battery life like ?

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would probably be caused by errors in the conversion caused by the computer or the software. You may find simply trying again would solve your problem.

6. cdrider

cdrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A small app called iMod, I've PM'd it to you.

EDIT: or I would if I could work out how to attach files to a PM. Drop me a mail, and I'll send it to you. cdrider1ATHotmail.com

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ekko Star,

Have a look here for a detailed comparison/review of both products.
    http://www.shanebrinkmandavis.com/homepage/archos/AV400/Reviews/SBDShortReview.htm
    As far as i am aware this guy (who does appear to know his stuff!) is completely objective. I used to own the AV340, but would definitely say that the new AV400 series is an improvement. Higher resolution recordings (although there is now a form of copy protection :thumbsdow ) and the introduction of the ARClibrary system which means you can now search for a track by Artist/Album/Title/Genre etc. It would also appear to play DIVX files without the need for Virtualdub (i have downloaded several trailers from DIVX.com website and played them back without any problems)

:offtopic: Apologies Brotherbear :oops:

8. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted the U2 CD problem out.

I updated i-tunes, imported the CD into i-tunes again and sent it to my i-pod mini. The sound was much better. I also realised I had the EQ setting on 'dance'. The U2 CD degrades an awful lot on this setting. I'd used that setting to try and boost volume level. have now turned EQ off.

Cheers for all your help guys. Gonna look at this volume increase issue next.

9. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0