• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Tyre Recommendation + Best way to change

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Morning All.

Need 2 new tyres for my 2.2 dCi Laguna and looking for suggestions.

Tyres are 225/45 R17 and at the moment they are Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 which have been on the car since I got it last year.

They will be to replace the two front tyres which are on around 1.6 and 2mm each. The back tyres are still on around 5-6mm.

Im also looking at the best way to change them. Should I get the new ones on the front or take the ones from the back onto the front?

Any suggestions and advice welcome.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Im also looking at the best way to change them. Should I get the new ones on the front or take the ones from the back onto the front?

Oh god, MASSIVE can of worms being opened.:laugh:

It's my opinion, based on 26 years of driving, that when dealing with a FWD car, the front tyres are the most important.
They deal with traction, steering, the bulk of braking forces and they are first to hit water.
The rears are basically just along for the ride.
So I will always, always put the newest tyres on the front.

But someone will point out I've been "lucky", I've been driving a "potential death trap", I'm likely to "spin off the road" at any moment and maybe give a link to a youtube video demonstrating it.

Quite frankly, I DON'T CARE!:boring:

:smashin:

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
I agree with the above. Perhaps RWD vehicles have a bit more of an argument to present, but I'm not bothered. FWD cars don't exactly suffer from rear-end traction issues, and RWD tend to be pretty sensible unless you are trying a bit too hard (or are in snow).

If any tyre on a car is likely to be dangerous, depending on where you put it (front or back), I would seriously consider if that tyre is actually any good at all. I.e., let's not be absurd about things - a brand new tyre of respectable brand and type with full tread is going to be fine.

It's when the road is wet that tyre characteristics play a bigger part.

Can of worms indeed though - but I never fail to chuckle at some of the outlandish comments that always arise.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I never bother switching front to back. If the rears need doing then replace them, if the fronts, then replace them. I do like to keep my tyres the same all round though aswell.

I can recommend Falken 452's, we put a full set on my Sisters Octavia 2.0Tdi and there excellent, Cheap too.

My dads just put some Maxxi MA-Z1's on the front of his Octavia and i cant fault them either, even cheaper then the 452's aswell.

zmoosa1

Put these on my car last week after reading some good reviews. Bought them from the site in the link, had them delivered to a local garage, and fitted for free! Great service.

Suggest you do as FZR400RRSP says in his post!

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I can recommend Falken 452's, we put a full set on my Sisters Octavia 2.0Tdi and there excellent, Cheap too.

I can vouch for the 452s too.
Although I think they've been superceded.
I read something about them failing a European drive-by noise test.

I've also tried Dunlop Sportmaxxes, and they were excellent.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't mind some more Maxxis, have been pushed hard at times and not given me any issues in over 15,000 miles.

However, Im not sure that they are for sale anywhere any more. If anyone does know where I could get some then that would be great.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't mind some more Maxxis, have been pushed hard at times and not given me any issues in over 15,000 miles.

However, Im not sure that they are for sale anywhere any more. If anyone does know where I could get some then that would be great.

My local tyre fitter in Leicester seems to carry stock of them. I was going for 452's for my dads but he said these were good and in stock.

Ive heard about the noise thing with the 452's and i think the ZE-912's are the new replacement. I'm going for a full set of 452's on my 350Z when they need changing.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
My local tyre fitter in Leicester seems to carry stock of them. I was going for 452's for my dads but he said these were good and in stock.

Ive heard about the noise thing with the 452's and i think the ZE-912's are the new replacement. I'm going for a full set of 452's on my 350Z when they need changing.

Found some local places now through the link given by FZR and lowest price is £70 for the Maxxis MA-Z1. Will see if I can haggle the price down after I drop by another place after work.

Dean

I will also give a vote for the Falken 452s like the other guys here!:D They are fantastic for the price. I noticed they were at least as good as my previous Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on my Celica. Will also be changing all tyres to these on my 350Z soon as the tread on the Bridgestones are quite worn. I looked into the Falken ZE-912s but it seems that the FK452 is the 'flagship performance' Falken tyre and I just don't think they would be as good as the FK452s for ultimate grip.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Since the Falkens come so highly recommended then Ill call around for prices tomorrow.

Money is on the low side so I may just end up going with the MA-Z1s again. Reviews say the MA-Z1 aren't that good in wet or snow but I had no trouble at all in the snow this year.

Plus I love the look of the tyre tread pattern. :p

Stoofa

The last 3 times I've had tyres changed I have always been advised to have the best, new ones on the rear.
This is in my Octavia vRS.
The last time my car was also in having a full hunter alignment - the company doing this hold racing events, so I do trust their opinion.

The idea is that by having "already worn" tyres on the driving/steering wheels there is less chance of a major change in driving reaction.
In other words, the car is going to feel, steer and react the same as it always has done, no nasty surprises.
New tyres on the front and everything can change.

I've had two new tyres twice on my Octy and on each occasion the new ones have gone to the rear.
I've now got Falken 452's all around.

huwsparky

When I had a FWD I used to always put the new tyres on the fornt as i hated the feel of unscrubbed tyres on the rear. Don't know if it's the same with all FWD cars but the Focus ST did not feel very good with new tyres on the rear.

Jay J

It's my opinion, based on 26 years of driving, that when dealing with a FWD car, the front tyres are the most important.
They deal with traction, steering, the bulk of braking forces and they are first to hit water.
The rears are basically just along for the ride.
So I will always, always put the newest tyres on the front.

:smashin:

That is the theory I use when replacing tyres - putting new ones on the front for a FWD car.

However the modern way and what some tyres manufactures (eg Michelin) insist new tyre go on the rear. This is because in the wet if you have more grip on the front (newer tyres) the car may spin out of control (oversteer). I you have less grip on the front (New tyres on rear) you will get understeer which is easier to control.

On the subject of what tyres you should buy, I have read a lot of recommendations for the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric and the Vredestien Ultra Sessanta tyres. GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/45R17 94Y XL TL :: £88.26 - Camskill.co.uk and VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/45R17 94Y XL TL :: £83.30 - Camskill.co.uk

For others see Car Tyres - 225/45/17 - Camskill.co.uk

P.S. (off-topic) Has anyone had trouble posting on the forum this afternoon?

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
So then we have this: what happens if all four tyres need replacing on my car? It's happened before, so it is possible.

Does this mean my car is going to suffer adversely to changes in driving reaction? Will having all this amazing grip do me harm? :lol: I hope not.

Jay J

So then we have this: what happens if all four tyres need replacing on my car? It's happened before, so it is possible.

Does this mean my car is going to suffer adversely to changes in driving reaction? Will having all this amazing grip do me harm? :lol: I hope not.

There is no problems with fitting 4 at a time. If you drive a 4wd car it is advisable that you do. Hay every brand new car has the same tyres on 4 wheels. :rolleyes:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
That is the theory I use when replacing tyres - putting new ones on the front for a FWD car.

However the modern way and what some tyres manufactures (eg Michelin) insist new tyre go on the rear. This is because in the wet if you have more grip on the front (newer tyres) the car may spin out of control (oversteer). I you have less grip on the front (New tyres on rear) you will get understeer which is easier to control.

On the subject of what tyres you should buy, I have read a lot of recommendations for the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric and the Vredestien Ultra Sessanta tyres. GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/45R17 94Y XL TL :: £88.26 - Camskill.co.uk and VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/45R17 94Y XL TL :: £83.30 - Camskill.co.uk

For others see Car Tyres - 225/45/17 - Camskill.co.uk

P.S. (off-topic) Has anyone had trouble posting on the forum this afternoon?

Thanks. Ive noticed that Camskill are doing the Falkens cheaper delivered than I can get the Maxxis locally.

Has anyone used Camskill? The website isn't the most convincing.

Jay J

Thanks. Ive noticed that Camskill are doing the Falkens cheaper delivered than I can get the Maxxis locally.

Has anyone used Camskill? The website isn't the most convincing.

Yes, I have last year. Ordering was easy, Great service, they delivered the next day at 4:25pm :smashin:

I bought some Toyo T1-Rs for my Fabia vRS (205/45 16) they were on offer at £55 each, and £115 for a pair delivered. I then got a local tyre place to fit and ballance them for £10 each. The tyres were much cheaper then any of my local tyre garages.

The alternative internet sites are BlackCircles.com and MyTyres.co.uk. :smashin:

AceFactor

I've used camskill as well, and I cant recommend their service enough!

They even phoned me to say that the courier had missed me and to expect a calling card when I got in from work.

Their website may not be that flashy but at the end of the day you pay for a product and a service, and they provide both of those very, very well.

Adam :)

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. Just seen mytyres doing the Maxxis for just over £150 for delivery and fitting.

One final call to a local place to see if they can match that, if not MyTyres it is. Falkens do get great reviews but the Maxxis just win for budget purposes. Plus they have done perfectly over the past year.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
However the modern way and what some tyres manufactures (eg Michelin) insist new tyre go on the rear. This is because in the wet if you have more grip on the front (newer tyres) the car may spin out of control (oversteer).

That is the recommendations, but I'm convinced that is all about litigation and nothing else.
If there's the remotest chance they'll get blamed for someone losing the rear of their FWD car, they'll cover themselves.
In reality, it's usually pretty damned difficult to get a front wheel drive car to oversteer, even cars that don't have some form of stability control.
You can sometimes provoke it by lifting-off etc., but your average driver is highly unlikely to ever encounter oversteer in a FWD car.
My wife, for example, will never push a car to the level she needs to worry about it.
So she needs all the grip on the front, to hell with the back.

HMHB

Distinguished Member

I should hope not after only 15,000 miles :eek:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I should hope not after only 15,000 miles :eek:

I got the car used that already had the tyres on so not sure how many miles they had done on the tyres already, although they looked fairly new.

Part of the reason of the wear is because of the tracking that got knocked off after hitting a pothole that could rival the Grand Canyon.

Done plenty of motorway speeds as well during the last year!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom