• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Twin PCI/PCI-e tuner from...

springtide

Distinguished Member
OK, looks like Terratec and Hauppauge both seem to have failed the twin tuner release...

I heard Black Gold had one in the pipeline, but that was 6 months ago..

Anyone know of any other twin tuners due for release?
 

nudge

Active Member
according to the gta-ltd website they are expecting the blackgold twin tuners in on the 9.9.2006. however we all know what expected delivery dates are like !!
 

tman

Well-known Member
I've seen the full spec on the Black Gold PCIe Twin DVB-T card, and it sounds very good.

Black Gold had huge success with their PCI DVB-T, so if the twin follows suit, this (hopefully) could be the one
 

springtide

Distinguished Member
mark.carline said:
What do you mean ?

I have been using the Hauppauge Twin with no problems and it works 100%

The problem is that not everyone is using the Hauppauge twin without any issues. The fact is, the majority of people are having problems and it's just working perfectly for the lucky few!

This was also the same for the Terratec (although there appears to be less issues with the Hauppauge).

If we compare this to a car, you would hardy say it was fantastic if 9/10 of them didn't work, but the one in ten that did work was great!

Lets hope Hauppauge sort out their drivers and/or Black Gold have better luck. I'm betting on the BD card, since the intial BG drivers they released over a year ago is still current and without issue.
 

evolution400

Active Member
springtide said:
OK, looks like Terratec and Hauppauge both seem to have failed the twin tuner release...

I heard Black Gold had one in the pipeline, but that was 6 months ago..

Anyone know of any other twin tuners due for release?
The only issue with drivers 255 that I am aware of is the live TV stuttering issue which only occurs with DXVA enabled.
I am happily using the terratec drivers 255 I dont get any errors it records everyting that I schedule and with DXVA disabled no stuttering at all.
 
B

BigBry

Guest
springtide said:
The problem is that not everyone is using the Hauppauge twin without any issues. The fact is, the majority of people are having problems and it's just working perfectly for the lucky few!

Not sure you can say that, there are comments about some people having problems (me included) but how many have got it working and don't need to report the fact?
 

springtide

Distinguished Member
BigBry said:
Not sure you can say that, there are comments about some people having problems (me included) but how many have got it working and don't need to report the fact?

The fact that's it's more than one is enough for me. I was on the "leading edge" of the 2400i at Xmas - only to know to well that if a problem is reported on a thread at AVFORUMS (with an ever expanding thread), it's pretty much a common fault.

BigBry said:
how many have got it working and don't need to report the fact

I think the majority of people who have managed to get hold of this card (which is in short supply) on these forums! I'm sure Hauppauge will fix the problem soon (less technically complex as it sounds related to S3 and "mb compatability"), but still not great.

Please stop defending companies that haven't delivered, you are only encourging the bad practice of releasing products before they are fully QA'ed.

Sorry, I spend too much time and energy with the 2400i, that unless the card is prefect, then I'm not interested. 4 months and approx 80 hours of testing with the 2400i has killed my spirit for being a UK beta tester for companies that can't deliver. I'm holding back for that dual tuner card that does not make it to the "problem page" of this forum! The only time I have seen an issue related to the Black Gold cards is when a user had a "dead card" - Otherwise, they are just happily recording in people's PCs - which is how it should be!
 

Moviebuff

Well-known Member
I'd have to concur that the 2400i IMHO is a dreadful piece of kit. Buggy - I can't even get it to work, without the system hanging, or Windows reporting that the application has crashed, and do i want to send an error report. NO - I just want to watch TV on my PC, how difficult can that be. For Terratec, too difficult it would seem!

It's rubbish, pure and simple!
 

tman

Well-known Member
Moviebuff said:
I'd have to concur that the 2400i IMHO is a dreadful piece of kit. Buggy - I can't even get it to work, without the system hanging, or Windows reporting that the application has crashed, and do i want to send an error report. NO - I just want to watch TV on my PC, how difficult can that be. For Terratec, too difficult it would seem!

It's rubbish, pure and simple!

Well, the problem with the 2400 was purely driver related. I'm not going to make any excuses for Terratec as they shouldn't have released it if the drivers weren't ready (they're still beta now!). But, the new 260 drivers work for me. I've stuck with this card, and am now pretty happy with it. Time will tell for reliability.

I'm with evolution400 on this. For people who've done the ground work, it seems to only *now* be becoming a viable card.
 
B

BigBry

Guest
springtide said:
Please stop defending companies that haven't delivered, you are only encourging the bad practice of releasing products before they are fully QA'ed.

That's a strange interpretation of my post.
 

springtide

Distinguished Member
BigBry said:
That's a strange interpretation of my post.

Sorry, the 2400i left a bad taste in my mouth. It gave me many months of pain before I threw in the towel and sent it back. In the end it wasn't about the money or whether they would fix the drivers, just being sold a product that wasn't fit for purpose when they sold it to me.

My statement regarding "…. Don’t defend companies ..." is related to...

We as consumers shouldn't have to put up with shoddy products that are either “badly designed” or “half baked” and need finishing off after release.

I'm not interested in "the fun of getting things working", but using the product for what it was intended. The only way we will get companies to hear our voice, is not to put up with shoddy products - if it doesn't work out of the box - send it back. That way they will think twice before releasing a product before it's ready for consumers.
 

springtide

Distinguished Member
JeffD said:
Sorry but unless I'm going blind I can't see any info for the Dual DVB-T card, only the DVB-T/Analogue card & Dual Analogue card appear to be listed there.

It's the top one...

"Black Gold Dual DVB-T/Analogue PCI-express Card ".

Looks like it's a Hybrid card! I guess with s/w based encoding for the analogue!
 

tman

Well-known Member
springtide said:
It's the top one...

"Black Gold Dual DVB-T/Analogue PCI-express Card ".

Looks like it's a Hybrid card! I guess with s/w based encoding for the analogue!

That's right. The tuners are analogue AND digital capable, but not at the same time. You configure the mode during the driver/software install so I'm lead to believe.
 

JeffD

Well-known Member
springtide said:
It's the top one...

"Black Gold Dual DVB-T/Analogue PCI-express Card ".

Looks like it's a Hybrid card! I guess with s/w based encoding for the analogue!
As you say that's a hybrid card, so single DVB-T tuner & single analogue tuner and these are all PCI Express cards. However if you look to left at the menu and TV PCI Dual Cards there is a Dual DVB-T PCI card listed , no details though only the message "We will be releasing Dual PCI Cards shortly".
 

tman

Well-known Member
JeffD said:
As you say that's a hybrid card, so single DVB-T tuner & single analogue tuner and these are all PCI Express cards. However if you look to left at the menu and TV PCI Dual Cards there is a Dual DVB-T PCI card listed , no details though only the message "We will be releasing Dual PCI Cards shortly".

Ok, lets just clarify this. The item listed at the top of the page on the link in post #13 of this thread is the Black Gold Dual DVB-T/Analogue PCI-express Card (£99 without software). This is a PCIe card with twin hybrid tuners. This means the two tuners can either be in analogue or DVB-T mode but not analogue AND digital at the same time. I also believe you cannot have one analogue and one digital tuner.

So you can have twin DVB-T tuners active running on MCE with the supplied BDA drivers on one PCIe card. Exactly what most people need.

I am not linked in any way to Black Gold, but have a friend who has a pre-order in and is expected to have the card in the next week or so.
 

JeffD

Well-known Member
I've done some research on the Philips SAA7162 chipset this is based on from what I've read you can have

2 x DVB-T
2 x Analogue
1 x DVB-T & 1 x Analogue (obviously is you're using MCE this won't support using one tuner DVB-T and one tuner analogue)

Sorry tman if it seemed I was doubting you.

During my research I also came across this card from Kworld also based on the same chipset

http://www.kworldcomputer.com/product/pci-e/002/images/001.pdf
 

tman

Well-known Member
JeffD said:
I've done some research on the Philips SAA7162 chipset this is based on from what I've read you can have

2 x DVB-T
2 x Analogue
1 x DVB-T & 1 x Analogue (obviously is you're using MCE this won't support using one tuner DVB-T and one tuner analogue)

Sorry tman if it seemed I was doubting you.

During my research I also came across this card from Kworld also based on the same chipset

http://www.kworldcomputer.com/product/pci-e/002/images/001.pdf

No problemo. Let's just hope this Black Gold card is as good in the flesh as it is on paper!
 

Ronaldm

Standard Member
Thanks tman and springtide for the info on the Black Gold card.

I gave up on my Terratec 2400i after spending hours trying to get reliable stutter free recordings (although I didn't try the 260 drivers). I have decided to avoid the Hauppauge as well because of the problems reported on this site resuming from standby.

I've just pre-ordered the Black Gold PCIe card and have been told that the expected date is 28/8/2006 (that's slightly earlier than the date quoted on the web site).

Fingers crossed.
 

WheresMyArtisan

Active Member
£99 sounds a lot on the steep side - it's more than two single PCI cards would cost. My Hauppauge OEM dual card was £49.99 delivered.

Hopefully Hauppauge will eventually sort out the problems. Personally, I wouldn't pre-order anything new ever again - let the fools (like me) rush in and wait to see what they say.

Black Gold have a good reputation, but Hauppauge did too...
 

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom