Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New TW100 owner needs help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by petrolhead, Sep 13, 2002.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi there

Finally bought the Epson TW100.

First impressions are very good, out the box. The picture is far superier to my old Sony CS1 and the screen door tiny in comparison. The colours are superb and blacks much better. Although I am not a complete technofile I can honestly say that I am very impressed and would easerly compare it to a Sont VW-11HT and felt it better that a Sim200 (my opinion only :) )

I have some questions and am hoping fellow TW owner can help.

I have a Pioneer 525 DVD player. Very happy but may upgrade at some point.

On the Advanced menu there is a Progressive Setting. Its currently set to Film/Auto. It states that OFF mode switches from interlased to progessive. Which setting should I use?
    I know the TW has the built in Line Doubler but will this work with my DVD player - outputting through S Video. It also states that "Available for 480i and 575i image signals only" - what is this all about?

In the Video menu what setting are you guys using?

Aspect ratio is a little confusing. "Normal maintains aspect ratio" but when I project images from the DVD player they are in 4:3 and not 16:9. Why? I have to go to squeeze mode to get 16:9. The manual states to use this mode for 16:9, see my point a tad confusing eh?

The image is now a little too big for the 6' std screen and I would like to keep the PJ in the same position as the old one therefore concidering an 8' screen. Any suggestions on what I should get that will also improve the image.

I would like to take this oportunity of thanking fellow member with their help to date and much better reviews than mine :eek:

2. PennyLane

PennyLane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Petrolhead,

This is how I understand the Progressive Setting:
    - “Available for 480i and 575i image signals only" means that only interlaced signals can be processed. If you have a 480p or 575p signal, it is already progressive, and this option will be greyed out from the menu, when such a signal is received. This function works for all sources (TV, DVD, LaserDisk, ...) and connections (Composite, S-Video and Component) as long as the signal type is “interlaced”
    - If the signal is interlaced, it is ALWAYS turned into progressive mode before being displayed. You have three options which you can use to affect this conversion:
    * OFF means that the conversion to progressive mode is carried out without activating the DCDi-function. Is this option the same as the Video-option, with the DCDI-function not operating ?? I don’t know.
    * Video means that all material (even films) is treated as video recorded material (no pull-down). The DCDi-function operates.
    * Film/Auto means that the projector automatically activates the 3-2-pull-down-function, if the source is a film (NTSC) and it also uses the DCDi-function. If the source is something else (PAL film or video material), the projector works as in the Video-mode.

My settings for S-video are:
    Theater mode
    Color Temp 6500 K
    Flesh Control: 0
    Black: -1
    White: +2
    Sharp: -2 or -1
    Color: +3

When you watch an anamorphic DVD (which I assume that you were doing), you must use the Squeeze-mode to get the correct proportions (the picture is stored in 4:3-ratio on the DVD). If you watch a letterbox DVD, you will have to use the Zoom-mod, to fill your 16:9-screen.

I hope this will be of some help..

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks a lot pennylane

Great help. Just a couple more questions

What screen do you use and what size is it?

Are you ceiling mounting your PJ and if so what do you use?

What size are the threads 4mm??

4. PennyLane

PennyLane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> petrolhead

The settings I gave you were used when projecting on a white MDF-board (not painted; it had this white coating upon purchasing). My screen is 240 cm * 135 cm, but I have now painted it grey, and boy, did that do the trick !!

Even if you think that the blacks are GOOD, you don’t know how GREAT they can get, using a simple, home made, grey MDF-screen. And the whites are still white, even though some of the brightness is gone, but to be honest – I don’t miss it. I just love the deep blacks and the improved contrast. So don’t buy the overpriced GreyHawks or whatever their names are; if you find the right “shade of grey” you will get a truly great picture and save yourself a lot of money.

When the grey screen was ready I did another AVIA-calibration, resulting in:
    Theater mode
    Color Temp 6500 K
    Black: 0
    White: +3
    Color: +3

Once again, these are the settings for S-video. For component I use:
    Theater mode
    Color Temp 6500 K
    Black: 0
    White: -2
    Color: +2

Please note, that these are the settings I got, using nothing else but the AVIA-disk. Additional “calibration” should be performed using different types of movies.

Initially I intended to use a ceiling mount, but in the end I was lucky enough to be able to put the projector on a shelf on the rear wall, and when using no zoom at all, the projector produced a 240*135 image !! So I can’t help you with your mounting problem, but I do know, that the threads are 4mm (I had already bought them, when I realised, that the best option for me would be the rear wall).

5. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think so, DCDI is also activ with Pal-material. Here's my DIY-solution 2 get the Epson on the ceiling:
    [​IMG]

6. PennyLane

PennyLane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >> jrwood
    No, I don’t use the Icestorm. I use a colour that is as close as possible to the grey that you find in “light-boxes”. A “light box” is a box for (professionally) comparing colours and colour nuances. It’s lighted at 6500K, and is designed to be as neutral as possible (shouldn’t affect the colours being compared).

And no, I’m not in the paint business myself. I read about this colour on a Finnish HT-forum, where a guy told this story about him calling a big Finnish paint manufacturer, and asking for what colour they used in these “light boxes”. Well, they didn’t know, because they don’t manufacture the boxes, but they gave him the colour code that they thought had the best match. Since then, a lot of Finnish screens have been painted using this colour, and everyone seems to be happy with the result.

>>Lefreck
    I never said, that the DCDi doesn’t work with PAL-movies. I said that the projector works in video mode, when the source is a PAL-movie. And about the video mode I said that “Video means that all material (even films) is treated as video recorded material (no pull-down). The DCDi-function operates.”