New tv won't pick up channels

ChilliFace

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just bought an LG LH5000 42" and I cant find any channels.

I had an old sony trinitron before and managed to recieve all the basic channels over cable.

I live in Milton Keynes and use the cable connection into the house. The reception was never great before but with the new tv autoscan only picks up itv, e4 and cnn and they are very grainy.

Could this be a problem with the new tv? I dont understand why it worked before but now now?

Cheers

I've just bought an LG LH5000 42" and I cant find any channels.

I had an old sony trinitron before and managed to recieve all the basic channels over cable.

I live in Milton Keynes and use the cable connection into the house. The reception was never great before but with the new tv autoscan only picks up itv, e4 and cnn and they are very grainy.

Could this be a problem with the new tv? I dont understand why it worked before but now now?

Cheers

Oh dear!

Your new TV will have a digital tuner for Freeview whereas your old TV would have an analogue tuner and pick up the analogue terrestial channels sent down the cable.

Time to get an aerial for your Freeview or pay Virgin Media to supply a STB to deliver digital channels.

Cheers for the reply, I thought this may be the case.

I'm happy with just the standard freeview channels so I won't be going with Virgin.

With regards to the arial, is there such a thing as a converter I can put in line between the cable and the TV, or do I have to buy and fit an arial?

Cheers for the reply, I thought this may be the case.

I'm happy with just the standard freeview channels so I won't be going with Virgin.

With regards to the arial, is there such a thing as a converter I can put in line between the cable and the TV, or do I have to buy and fit an arial?

You will need an aerial.

In simple terms, there are three types of digital signal:

1. Cable, DVB-C, comes down the cable;
2. Terrestrial (Freeview), DVB-T, comes through the air - you need an aerial;
3. Satellite (Freesat or Sky), DVB-S, comes through the air - you need a dish.

Hope this helps.

Setting up a high gain aerial in the loft today, hopefully it'll work.

I called Currys and they are happy to replace or exchange the tv if it doesnt work.

They said the analogue recievers in new tvs are not as strong as they used to be. Thats pretty poor if its true in my case as the tv is not sold as 'digital only'.

I know I dont get digital through my cable. The reception has allways been poor anyway so I'm happy to buy an aerial.

I'll let you know how I get on :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom