New TV wont find freeview channels?

AdamC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just recently bought a Samsung LE32R41BDX lcd tv with integrated freeview, only problem is when i try to scan / view any freeview channels all i get is a message stating "No Signal Found".

Ive checked on the freeview website and i can receive the transmissions in my area, but the site states that i may need a "Wide-Band Aerial". Is this likely to be the problem? Ive no idea what my current aerial is.

I dont want to go out and buy myself a special new aerial unnecessarily if the problem lies elsewhere.

Any suggestions

Thanks

AdamC

AdamC said:
Evening all,

Just recently bought a Samsung LE32R41BDX lcd tv with integrated freeview, only problem is when i try to scan / view any freeview channels all i get is a message stating "No Signal Found".

Ive checked on the freeview website and i can receive the transmissions in my area, but the site states that i may need a "Wide-Band Aerial". Is this likely to be the problem? Ive no idea what my current aerial is.

I dont want to go out and buy myself a special new aerial unnecessarily if the problem lies elsewhere.

Any suggestions

Thanks

AdamC

I haven't any experience with this model but how many aerial in sockets does it have on the rear?
What is your reception like on the analogue channels?
Can you maybe borrow a freeview box and plug it in and see if that works?

AdamC said:
Evening all,

Any suggestions

Thanks

AdamC

How long have you had the aerial that you are using to 'feed' the freeview tuner ? If it has been in place for much longer than 5 years, it almost certainly will be the problem....Is it external or in a loft ?......As suggested, is the tv receiving analogue channels OK ...?

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

I'll ask my dad later on how long we have had the aerial but i think its been up for some time now.

The tv reception on the tv isnt the best quality, it gets better if you take time to properly tune it in and alter things like colour and noise filter but it could probably be better.

It has one aerial socket at the back, and theres a possibility of borrowing my nans pace box to try that.

Does it make much difference if you have an aerial in the loft or on the roof?

Thanks

AdamC

AdamC said:
Does it make much difference if you have an aerial in the loft or on the roof?
Yes. The clearer the "line of sight" to the transmitter, the better. Always.

Unlike analogue TV, you don't really get variations in picture quality with Freeview, because if the signal is too low, it doesn't work at all. Freeview is also very susceptable to interference from things like cars, fridges, and central heating boilers, so it needs special cable with an extra foil screen, which cuts down interference pick-up.

Bottom line is that you need a new aerial mounted outside, and probably new cable too. If you're doing it yourself, you'll find that most aerials are wideband these days, to cater for Freeview TV.

AdamC said:

Any suggestions
You don't say where you are so the best first step is to take a look at the below 2 sites to see where you are (or should be) getting your analogue and digital signals from.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe?

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom