Question New tv with component input or 2.1 hdmi?

Mega Womble

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new 55" TV.

I have a budget of £1500.

I still use my Panasonic Q a great deal (got back into gamecube gaming!) so component would be ideal if possible.

I will use it for the usual stuff, netflix, sports, gaming.

Any help appreciated.

Looks like cheaper Samsung like NU7100 and RU7100,7400 have component input.

I wouldn’t limit your choices by insisting it has component input. You’ll be able to get an adapter for it.

Try get the LG B8. Should be c£1200 or less but you’ll have to hunt around a bit.

If the gamecube is a big part of your viewing you'd be better off with a cheaper, smaller HD TV. Its going to look nothing short of awful upscaled on a larger UHD model. It looks bad enough on my 43" UHD TV.

But that aside, you could get the LG B8 at 65" within budget, its the best value right now. Even the 55" version is better value than anything from newer 2019 ranges.

Yeah, I was thinking this.
Just wanted everything in the same place really. I have the (now expensive) gamecube component cable and wanted to keep utilising it.

If you can still find one of last years Panasonic's like the FZ802 it will be a lot better value currently than 2019 models like the GZ950.

If you are looking for TVs with better built in sound, last years FZ952 is also better value than the new GZ1500.

If you want a 2019 model, you're better off purchasing at a later time as they are still quite overpriced. Come black friday they should drop to a more reasonable level.

Thanks so much. Wow, when you look at 2019 and 2018 models there doesn't seem a great deal to justify the inflated prices. I still want the component so will try to make comparison between the Panasonic's.

No, there's not a lot that separates them. The newer models support both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ HDR which is one of the primary reasons people may go for them but it doesn't make any sense on current pricing.

TVs follow a price trend year to year, so each year we sit in the same boat at this time. Come black friday the 2019 models will be cheaper and if you buy as much as 10 months from now the new 2019 models will be around the same price as the 2018 ones currently are.

The 55" GZ950 is available for £1499 here. That's only £299 more expensive than the 55" FZ802. You're getting the greater HDR format support for that, plus the later 2019 LG OLED panel.

Paul

Good price, thank you!- guess may drop more Black Friday?
How does this compare with the GZ1500?

Good price, thank you!- guess may drop more Black Friday?
How does this compare with the GZ1500?
Oh for sure it'll drop further on Black Friday. It's already £300 cheaper than when it was launched.

It's essetially the same as the GZ1500, with exception of the stand and integrated sound 'blade' on the GZ1500. The GZ1500 is exclusive to John Lewis in the UK, so negotiating price will be tricky. It's also £500 more than the GZ950 and that sound 'blade' isn't worth that.

Paul

A well sorted 2.1 system is much better than sound on almost all TVs.

Well I've had an unexpected bonus from work so I'm supper happy now! (now up to £2000 budget)

I'm still debating over the component. This gives the GZ950 as probably my first choice.

However I have been reading up a bit about hdmi 2.1.
As a gamer who will likely pick up a new console next year how significant is this?
Should I be basing my choice around this? Or will it not be a factor for a couple of years?

If it is a big factor I should consider the LG B or C9?

There's no way to know. There are some features in 2.1 that the consoles could make use of, but there are also reason that these features could be useless.

With adaptive sync for example, the game needs to really be rendered at a much higher frame rate than currently consoles can manage to be useful. Historically consoles have not been powerful enough to render many games above 30fps so if that remains the case the usefulness of having adaptive sync when many TVs don't allow the use of it beneath 40fps is going to be useless.

Then there's the ability to output full a chromatic signal at 10 bit depth (HDMI 2.0 can only do 4:2:2 at 10bit) but that is not a format that is recognised by HDR10 spec, so its likely even when HDMI 2.1 is available to use, games will still run under a spec that remains fully supported by HDMI 2.0.

Auto Low Latency Mode - well it helps lower input lag, but input lag on all TVs is already very low.

So I'd regard it as a nice-to-have, but not worth paying extra for. If you want to buy sooner rather than later then just forget about it, if you are willing to pay a bit extra come black friday or wait as much as 10 months from now to find the 2019 LGs as cheap as the current 2018 ones are then its worth waiting for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom