1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Viewing For May 2005!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

It's back, but only a small update for May, I'm afraid. (There's simply not much new stuff coming to terrestrial or digital TV at the moment. :( )

My update will be ready for viewing by the weekend, so check back then, and hopefully there will be some interesting news for Satellite viewers! (Sorry if you are on cable or Freeview, but the news won't apply to you.)

Pooch

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    Any news if anything is taking over from The Invader which is the last one this week.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Garrett,

I'll do some research, and see if I can find out anything. ;)

Pooch

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

Well, better late than never, as they say! :eek: My apologies for keeping you all waiting, but personal issues have delayed my normal monthly update. :( Sadly, the update this month, is very short. The only reason being, there's not much to actually recommend throughout May 2005. As such, I will probably do my best to add any interesting shows worth looking out for, throughout the rest of the month, as-and-when they come-up in the schedules.

Okay, let's get down to business! :)

Sunday 1st
    BBC3 (9pm-1am)
    For the next SIX MONTHS, Sky Digital viewers have been given the ultimate TV option - the chance to watch something else! Essentially, every Sunday night between the above mentioned times, BBC3 viewers can press their Red buttons, and watch an alternative selection of programmes, to the main BBC3 evening schedule. The idea, is to give BBC3 viewers an extra alternative. So, if you don't fancy the main schedule of comedy, you might have the option to watch a film or period drama instead, and vice-versa. This is a six-month trial, and if successful, will then be rolled-out later to Cable viewers and Freeview users as well! Each Sunday night's alternate viewing will not be decided until very close to transmission time. As such, I can't even tell you exactly what will be on tonight. However, I do know that it will consist of comedy shows, like "Little Britain", "Nighty Night" and other similar BBC3 hits. Give this new option a try, and then let me know what you all think. If you wish to comment direct to the BBC, positive or negative, then you can phone them on: 08700-100-222. If you don't like what's being offered, suggest something you do want to see instead. You never know, it may end up being shown!

BBC4 (11:20pm-1:05am) FILM: Triumph Of The Will (PG)
    Controversial documentary film about the 1936 Olympics during the height of Naziism and World War II. Although a difficult film to watch, it's worth giving it a shot at, because whilst there is much to loathe (e.g. the glorification of Hitler and the Nazi Party), there is also much to love. Showing Uncut, in its original 1.33:1 ratio.

Monday 2nd
    Channel 4 (Late night - 2:20-3:45am) FILM: Hands Of The Ripper (15)
    Gory story set during the time of the Jack The Ripper murders, from Brit horror maestros, Hammer Horror Films. Despite its 15 certificate, there's some pretty strong violence in it, and it's an overlooked gem in my opinion. Definitely one of the more sensible and mature movies from Hammer. Showing uncut and in Widescreen.

Tuesday 3rd
    BBC2 (10-10:30pm) The League Of Gentlemen
    Preparing for the cinema movie starring the wacky and surreal comedy stars, here's a chance to meet the nastiest villagers ever, in the first episode of Series 1 of this dark and disturbing comedy/horror series.

BBC1 (11:15pm-1:10am) FILM: Escape From Alcatraz (15)
    Clint Eastwood stars in this excellent prison drama, about one man's attempt to escape from the one place everyone claimed was inescapable.

BBC2 (11:20-11:55pm) The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
    With the new film at cinemas currently getting less than stellar reviews, here's a chance to watch the classic cult sci-fi comedy show, from the BBC, made in the early 1980's. Still surprisingly good, despite some of the effects looking a little on the suspect side. Showing over 6 consecutive Tuesday nights, with each episode running to a full 35 minutes!

Wednesdday 4th
    BBC2 (10:30-11:30am) FILM: Way Out West
    A classic Laurel And Hardy film from 1937.

Channel 4 (11:05am-Noon) Without A Trace
    This is part 1 of the two-part Season 1 finale, and it's an absolute stonker. Originally shown as a single two-hour epic, the story follows an unhinged man who has lost his wife and child in the September 11th Tragedy in New York. After struggling to find work, despite pestering a female friend of his, he finally decides that he needs to make a statement to the world. Truly compelling, often disturbingly poignant, but always exciting and powerful. If you want to see two of the best episodes of this show, start here! Part 2 airs tomorrow at the same time.

Thursday 5th
    Five (8-10pm) FILM: Charlie's Angels (15)
    All those 70's TV show adaptations, started here, with this fun, but rather droll adventure series getting the big-screen make-over. Starring Lucy Liu, Bill Murray, Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz. Minor edits for strong language.

BBC2 (9-9:30pm) Little Britain
    In preparation for Series 3, BBC2 is doing a complete 16-week assault on your comedy senses, with Series 1 and 2 being aired back-to-back. See David Walliams and Matt Lucas bring to the screen some delightfully bizarre characters, including Andy, Lou, the British Prime Minister and Dennis Waterman! Surreal, but wait for the show to grow on you.

Channel 4 (9-10:40pm) FILM: The Full Monty (15)
    Another chance to see this brilliant 1997 British comedy, that has one of the best soundtracks to sing along too. You'll never look at the art of male stripping in quite the same way again. Robert Carlyle stars in the lead role as a broken-hearted jobless Northerner struggling to make ends meet, and to keep custody of his son. Desperate to make some money, he comes up with a novel idea, but drags the rest of his friends into one of the worlds' unlikeliest professions. Superb in so many respects! Showing uncut, and in Widescreen.

BBC1, ITV1, Five (9:30pm onwards) Election 2005 Coverage
    Well, it's finally arrived, and despite all the coverage of immigration, health care and student top-up fees, tonight will see whether Tony Blair, Michael Howard or Charles Kennedy get to lead the country. Whoever you vote for, this is going to be a very close call, one way or another, and if the issue of fraudulent postal voting becomes more significant, tonight could have major repurcussions for one or more of these men. Whatever happens, this is going to be a major event for Britain.

Five (10-11:20pm) Peter Kay - Live At The Top Of The Tower
    Another chance to see the brilliant Bolton comedian Peter Kay, perform live from Blackpool Tower, in a powerhouse routine, that will have you crying with laughter. Apart from the very occasional swearword, this is comedy even your gran can safely watch, without fear of being offended.

Friday 6th
    Channel 4 (11:05am-Noon) Without A Trace
    The first of an edited daytime showing of most of Season 2 of the great FBI drama about missing persons. Due to the nature of the show, some episodes will be edited, whilst others will not be shown at all. This episode, deals with a bus full of school children, who get hijacked. But not everything is as it is expected to be, and someone's taken a very harsh dislike to the students. A fairly harrowing and emotive episode, with a wonderful musical introduction, that will set the tone, and possibly tug at your heart-strings too. Personally-speaking, I found Season 2 to be less satisfying overall, but you be the judge. Season 3 will likely air in June or July of this year on Channel 4.

BBC1 (8:30-9pm) The Lenny Henry Show
    Despite receiving some critical slating, the man who gave us "Chef!" and the Theophilus P Wildebeste, returns with a new six-part sketch show. I quite enjoyed the first series, especially his Winston, the corner shop owner who simply has to comment on everything and anything, and Gina Yashere's creation of the Bling Bling Tenament Building Girl! Give it a go, as you may find it better than expected.

BBC3 (11pm-11:30pm) MP's Outtakes
    If you need a rest from all the political back-slapping on the other major channels, then you could do a lot worse than seeing these same men and women making complete arse's of themselves. Expect John Prescott to be in many of the clips shown, as we get to see what happens when those in charge, find themselves in the spotlight, but for all the wrong reasons.

BBC1 (11:45pm-1:25am) FILM: Amityville 2: The Possession (18)
    Damiano Damiani's oddball but deliriously twisted sequel to the original 1978 horror classic. A young man moves with his family into the house from hell, but becomes possessed. Things turn nasty, and slowly everyone is in danger. The storyline can get confusing, and the script isn't great, but this film will mainly be worth watching for the numerous gore effects, that still hold up to today's standards. Very graphic, and not for the easily offended, this is showing in the newly BBFC-approved uncut version, and in Widescreen too!

ITV1 (12:35-2:30am) FILM: American Graffiti (PG)
    If George Lucas' name only signifies "Star Wars" to you, then you ought to try this other slice of cult 70's mayhem from the same man. Return to the days when the youth of the day desired nothing more than a girl, a car, and some hip music. A groovy soundtrack, a brilliant cast, and an interesting comparison piece, to "Grease". Worthy comedy-drama.

Channel 4 (3:45-5:25am) FILM: Roseanna's Grave (12)
    Stupid scheduling decision for this clever and gentle-natured comedy starring Jean Reno. Reno stars as one half of a middle-aged couple. In preparation for their senior years together, he has promised his wife that they will be buried together, next to one another in the same cemetery, so that their love may never be separated. The truth, however, is that he hasn't been able to reserve two grave plots next to one another. And with the local townsfolk dying left, right and centre, he is forced to take matters into his own hands, to stop the local cemetery from being filled-up too quickly. An oddity for sure, but Reno's presence helps lift this genial and low-key comedy from becoming too sentimental. An unusual but tender film, that's worth watching, if you fancy something truly different from the norm.

Saturday 7th
    ITV1 (9:30-10:30pm) Ultimate Force
    Despite the fact that I think this show is the biggest pile of pants, :rotfl: I know there are several members who wanted to know when it would return. Well, now you know. Tonight's episode showcasing a day in the life of Ross Kemp, is called "Weapon Of Choice". Thank God for "CSI: New York" on Five instead! :devil: :clap:

Thursday 19th
    Sky 1 (9-10pm) Revelations
    A new psychological thriller mini-series from the USA starts tonight, with Natasha McElhone and Bill Pullman. Good review Stateside, but with little fan-fare being given thus far, here in the UK. Unknown number of episodes, but it will be in Widescreen, over consecutive Thursdays.

Sunday 29th
    Sky 1 (6:30-7pm) The Simpsons
    Yes, it's not as good as it used to be, but it still beats many other shows at the moment. This is the episode that caused fury among the Bible-belt states in the USA. Patty's in love… but it's not with a man! See the uncut version tonight.

Well, there you have it, for the moment. As always, updates will be posted here, and if anyone dares say they weren't told about a certain show/film being on, I'll slap 'em with a giant herring I've got in my freezer! :D I jest, but in all seriousness, please keep checking back for updates and new recommendations. Thank You. :)

Pooch

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    Looks like its going to be that Beverly Hills 90**** something or other. :D

6. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've just seen a trailer for Revelations and it looks quite good. As you said Pooch its got good reviews in the US and whilst TVTome has it listed as a limited series there is talk of a 2nd series being commissioned because of the viewing figures. There's a link here for more info.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Some updates and new stuff for you all:

- "Revelations" is a mini-series, and Season 1 will run for just 6 hour-long episodes. A Second full-season is still under discussions, depending on UK and US ratings.

- "The Six Million Dollar Man" Pilot Movie is on Five this afternoon, at 4pm-5:30pm. No censorship cuts, and it's being shown in 4:3.

- Also on Five tonight, a half-hour, all-new documentary called "The Real CSI" which graphically looks at real-life American CSI's. Definitely worth watching. Airs tonight at 10pm, directly after a new Season 5 episode of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation".

Pooch

8. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Wednesday night, CSI:Miami. Is this the new series?

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

LoveMonkey - Nope. It's still repeats from Season 2. Season 3 won't be airing for at least another month, and as soon as I get official confirmation of the date and time of it, I'll post it int he AV Forums. :)

Everyone Else - Another update for you: Australian comedy show "Kath & Kim" comes to BBC2 from Thursday 12th May at 10pm. This is supposed to be very, very acerbic, and a pastiche on "bad" Australian soaps/dramas, e.g. "The Sullivans", "Neighbours", and/or "Sons And Daughters". This episode is Season 1, Episode 1 - out of a total of 8 episodes. It does contain some strong language, though, so it's not suitable for young un's!

Pooch

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Tried watching this before but it reminded me too much of the Royal Family so I turned it off after about 10 mins of not even smiling never mind laughing.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Sorry you didn't like it, "Love Monkey", but I'm going to give it a shot.

Also, another update for "Arrested Development" (US comedy) fans: BBC4 is starting a complete Season 1 repeat, from 11pm tonight (12th May), and every Thursday night thereafter.

Pooch

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Folks,

Another update for you all, and one that will be of particular interest to drama fans, foreign-language movie buffs, and people who like more alternative and unusual material.

From Friday 27th May 2005, BBC4 is going to be airing the entire "Heimat" series: that is, all of "Heimat", "Heimat 2" and "Heimat 3" back-to-back, every Friday and Sunday night, for the next 30 weeks! :clap: Hopefully, it won't be DOG'd! :) Also, the show is in German, with English subtitles, and is in both colour and black and white footage! The following information might be of help to you, if you intend watching or recording this incredible epic, that makes the Lord Of The Rings Extended Trilogy seem more like a 10 minute Tom & Jerry cartoon! :devil: :

The HEIMAT Trilogy - An Introduction
    NOTES:
    - BBC 4 will broadcast all three "Heimat" series' (totalling 30 weekly episodes) on Fridays and Sundays beginning on 27 May. (Exact times and days are still to be confirmed.)
    - To enrichen your viewing experience, it is highly recommended to read the introductions by Ivan Mansley to each Heimat and Heimat 2 episode before it is broadcast. Ivan Mansley will also send introductions prior to each of the six Heimat 3 episodes. These can be viewed on the official website.
    - The official HEIMAT website is at: http://www.heimat123.net

HEIMAT - Eine deutsche Chronik (1984)
    (aka "Heimat - A German Chronicle")
    The first series, tells the story of the village Schabbach, on the Hunsrueck in Germany through the years 1919 and 1982.
    - No Of Episodes: 11 episodes
    - Duration: 924 minutes
    - Volumes: 6 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 1 - 6)

#1 Fernweh (1919-1928) - 119 minutes
    #2 Die Mitte der Welt (1928-1933) - 90 minutes
    #3 Weihnacht wie noch nie (1935) - 58 minutes
    #4 Reichshöhenstrasse (1938) - 58 minutes
    #5 Auf und davon und züruck (1938-1939) - 58 minutes
    #6 Heimatfront (1943) - 58 minutes
    #7 Die Liebe der Soldaten (1944) - 58 minutes (I think. Can't find any official confirmation of this!)
    #8 Der Amerikaner (1945-1947) 119 minutes (Again, I think this is right.)
    #9 Hermännchen (1955-56) - 138 minutes
    #10 Die Stolzen Jahre (1967-1969) - 82 minutes
    #11 Das Fest der Lebenden und der Toten (1982) - 100 minutes

ZWEITE HEIMAT - Chronik einer Jugend, Die (1992)
    (aka Heimat 2 - The Second Chronicle; Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Youth; Heimat 2 - Chronicle Of A Generation)
    Each of the 13 separate episodes, handles a period between 1960 and 1970. (N.B. With a total running time of 25 hrs 32 min, it holds the Guinness World Record for 'Longest Film Commercially Shown In Its Entirety' as it premiered on theatre screens in Munich, Germany in September 1992.)
    - No Of Episodes: 13 episodes
    - Duration: 1532 minutes (Abridged US Version 1416 minutes)
    - Volumes: 13 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 7 - 19)

#1 die Zeit der Ersten Lieder (1960) - 121 minutes
    #2 Zwei Fremde Augen (1960/61) - 116 minutes
    #3 Eifersucht und Stolz (1961) - 117 minutes
    #4 Ansgars Tod (1961/62) - 110 minutes
    #5 des Spiel mit der Freitheit (1962) - 120 minutes
    #6 Kennedys Kinder (1963) - 110 minutes
    #7 Weihnachtswölfe (1963) - 111 minutes
    #8 die Hochzeit (1964) - 120 minutes
    #9 die Ewige Tochter (1965) - 119 minutes
    #10 das Ende der Zukunft (1966) - 132 minutes
    #11 Zeit des Schweigens (1967/68) - 118 minutes
    #12 die Zeit der Vielen Wörte (1968/1969) - 120 minutes
    #13 Kunst oder Leben (1970) - 138 minutes

HEIMAT 3 - Chronik einer Zeitenwende (2004)
    (aka Heimat 3; Heimat 3 - The Third Chronicle; Heimat 3 - The Final Chronicle)
    This is not only a sequel to "Zweite Heimat", but also a chronicle of a very decisive decade for Germany (1989 to 2000).
    - No Of Episodes: 6 episodes
    - Duration: 679 minutes
    - Volumes: 6 x 3-hour tapes (Volumes 20-25)

#1 Das glücklichste Volk der Welt (1989) - 105 minutes
    #2 Die Weltmeister (1990) - 96 minutes
    #3 Die Russen kommen (1992-1993) - 120 minutes
    #4 Allen geht's gut (1995) - 127 minutes
    #5 Die Erben (1997) - 101 minutes
    #6 Abschied von Schabbach (1999-2000) - 104 minutes

Unlike the other two series, "Heimat 3" exists in two different versions - the original, Director's Approved version, and a shorter German TV (ADR) broadcast version. ADR asked Writer and Director Edgar Reitz, if he could prepare a shortened version, specifically for them, fearing that it would be too long for regular TV viewers (!). The following is a list of the shorter (ADR) version that he prepared.

#1 Das glücklichste Volk der Welt (1989) - 89m 59s
    #2 Die Weltmeister (1990) - 88m 53s
    #3 Die Russen kommen (1992-1993) - 91m 55s
    #4 Allen geht's gut (1995) - 91m 54s
    #5 Die Erben (1997) - 91m 01s
    #6 Abschied von Schabbach (1999-2000) - 88m 53s

In comparison to the original Director Approved version, the ADR broadcast ran 136m 25s shorter, loosing several of the main characters' subplots, whilst other plot-lines were judiciously trimmed down. Reitz was not happy about this.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Pooch

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,048
    Closed at the request of the thread starter. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.