1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Viewing For July 2005!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Jul 9, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

I hadn't intended to post this week's update, until Monday, as I didn't think I'd be able to get it done in time. But, being the kind-hearted soul that I am, I thought "What was more important - sleep or you folks"? Why, sleep! :D

I jest, of course! ;) Anyway, here's the latest update of what to watch on TV this week. I should point out, that because of recent events in London, programmes listed are liable to change at the last minute, so please be aware of this. Details are correct as of the time of posting this message.

Saturday 9th July
    King Solomon's Mines - 4:20-6:05pm
    First of a two-part drama based on the H. Rider Haggard story. Patrick Swayze takes the lead role, in this US Hallmark Channel adventure. Concludes tomorrow, between 3:30-5:15pm. (Channel 4)

CSI: New York - 9:35-10:35pm
    Tonight sees the final episode in Season 1 of the brilliant secondary spin-off show, in the "CSI" franchise. Mac is forced to deal with conflicting and troubling emotions, when a coffee-shop he's visiting, endures a violent shooting incident. Five have bought the rights to Season 2, and will start to air it in January 2006! :clap: (Five)

FILM: Snow White - A Tale Of Terror (15) - 10:00pm-Midnight
    Superb adult retelling of the classic fable about Snow White, with Sigourney Weaver (of "Alien" fame) taking the role of the Evil Queen. When Claudia Hoffman arranges for her step-daughter, Lili, to be murdered, the plan goes awry and Lili takes refuge in a mysterious castle. It then falls to Claudia to set another trap, to end Lili's life permanently, but not before mysterious people and goings on make her task much harder. Genuinely creepy and foreboding fantasy drama, this is absolutely not for younger audiences, as there are some fairly nasty special effects! However, if you want to see what the original story might have been like, (had it not been for Walt Disney), then this is a lovely variation to chill the blood! Contains violence, some gore, and occasional strong language. (Hallmark)

FILM: Mad Max (18) - 11:25pm-1:00am
    Mel Gibson stars in this sci-fi thriller, set in the urban decay of future Australia. Max Rockatansky is a police officer. After an evil tyrant kills a colleague, Max sets out to stop hoodlums from abusing the highways, in their souped-up vehicles, once-and-for-all… by playing them at their own game! Dark, daring and imbibed with a vicious streak in humour, this is a brilliant film that put Mel Gibson on the road to stardom. The print the BBC is airing, is the American-dubbed version. In 1979, when the film was released, the company releasing the film felt that the Australian accents would be too difficult for US film fans to follow. Hence, everyone was dubbed-over, by an American cast, including Mel himself. Showing in Widescreen, and uncut. Contains occasional scenes of strong violence. (BBC1)

FILM: Amistad (15) - 11:25pm-2:00am
    Steven Spielberg's historical drama about racism and slavery, aboard the vessel La Amistad. Lengthy, and at times very hard-going, but still very impressive nonetheless. Matthew McConaughey, Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman, Djimon Hounsou, Anna Paquin and Pete Postlethwaite star. Contains violence and strong language. (BBC2)

Sunday 10th
    The O.C. - 2:30-3:35pm
    The Season 2 finale of the US-based drama, and things come to a head in the Cohen household, with Sandy being forced to make a potentially devastating decision, that could tear the family apart forever. Season 3 has been purchased by Channel 4, but there are no confirmed details about when or how it will be shown. It may move from E4 to the all-new "More4" station. However, terrestrial fans need not worry, as C4 will continue to air it as well. (Channel 4)

FILM: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PG) - 6:20-8:00pm
    Heavily-edited version of the wacky 1990 cult-hit fantasy movie, about four turtles that evolve into ninja heroes, out to save the world from the evil Shredder. Jim Henson's Muppet Workshop created the turtle effects, and did a very good job of bringing the heroes to life. Such a shame, that the acting is less than stellar. (If memory serves, ex-rapper Vanilla Ice appears in a cameo role!) The film seems quite dated now, and you may wonder at what all the hype and fuss was about, but despite this, there are moments of bizarre (!) genius in it. The sequence showing the history of the turtles, and how they came into being, is still a very memorable part. The original release was cut by the BBFC, with over 5m extracted, to remove all scenes and mention of one of the turtles deadly weapons - the Nunchuka. In 2004, the footage was reinstated. Sadly, this is an edited hybrid version mixing material from the original and 2004 uncut edition. Contains violent scenes. (Five)

Malcolm In The Middle - 7:15-8:00pm
    A new time-slot for all-new Season 5 on terresttial TV of this US sitcom starring Frankie Muniz. Each week, two episodes will air on Sunday evenings. (BBC2)

Deadwood - 10:00-11:00pm
    It's back! Season 2 of the acclaimed, violent, profane and extremely adult western drama, returns to UK screens, with the first of 13 episodes. Al Swearengen (Ian McShane) returns, and sets-up a plan to show the newly sworn-in Sheriff (Timothy Olyphant), that where he's concerned, Al rules the town of Deadwood - and nobody else is going to take that away from him. Be prepared for complex storylines, and the worst profanity ever seen on national TV. If you thought "Pulp Fiction" or "South Park" were foul-mouthed films, I'd advise everyone to stay well away from this show! :eek: Strictly adults only. Contains obscene language, scenes of strong violence, nudity and explicit sexual material. (Sky 1)

Monday 11th
    ER - 11:10am-Noon
    A weekday repeat showing of Season 11, starting with Episode 1 "One For The Road". Due to some of the stronger episodes being unsuitable for daytime transmission, Channel 4 are airing the more controversial episodes late at night. As such, there may be as many as three episodes per day - one in the daytime, and a further one (or two) around 3am later on, in the late-night scheduling. Be aware of this, if you want to keep abreast of the storylines. This is Carter's final season, and Cook County Hospital, Chicago, is as busy as always. Daytime episodes may still be edited. (Channel 4)

Tuesday 12th
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - 9:00-11:00pm
    This is it - the big one! :clap: It's the episode most of us die-hard CSI fans have been waiting for, and Five have done us proud. This is the Season 5 double-length finale! And, instead of making us wait, they are showing it as one, complete two-hour episode! Quentin Tarantino wrote and directed this controversial and harrowing finale episode, and it shows! Grissom and Co are tackling their toughest case ever, when the victim is one of their own. With time completely against them, will they be able to save the victim before they die, or will the murderer be able to stay one-step ahead. Unsurprisingly, this episode contains stronger scenes of violence than normal, and is also far more adult in tone. Heck - this is Tarantino - what did you expect?! :D Enjoy this one, because the show won't be back until early 2006! American singer and actor Tony Martin, and the late, great Frank Gorshin (The Riddler in the 1960's action show "Batman"), co-star. This was Gorshin's final ever TV role, completed just days before his death. This episode is dedicated to him! (Five)

Law And Order - 11:00pm-Midnight
    All-new to UK terrestrial TV, is Season 11 of the longest-running crime drama in US history. Tonight is the first of 24 episodes, so be prepared to keep Tuesday nights free until late-December! :eek: Detectives Brisco (Jerry Orbach) and Green (Jesse L. Martin) return to New York's streets once more, to catch the criminals, before District Attorney Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston) and Abbie Carmichael (Angie Harmon) try to put them to justice. Always involving, always exciting, and always intelligent. If you like crime shows, then this is a must-watch! (Five)
    N.B. The show will swap to an earlier time-slot, as of next week. Unconfirmed reports say that Season 4 of "The Shield" will return next week, as will "CSI: Miami" Season 3! :clap:, meaning Five will have 3 whole hours of the best in US crime drama, every Tuesday night fvrom 9pm! :eek: :)

Wednesday 13th
    FILM: First Blood (15) - 9:45-11:15pm
    Sylvester Stallone stars as Vietnam veteran John Rambo - the one-man war machine, in the original, and superior 1982 film classic. Despite the subsequent sequels being violent action-fests devoid of plot, this one that started things off, is surprisingly enjoyable, and nowhere near as brutal or tasteless as its siblings. Richard Crenna and Brian Dennehey give powerhouse roles, as Rambo's Vietnam commander and the small town police chief respectively. Contains some violence and bad language. Showing uncut, and in Widescreen. (BBC3)

FILM: Escape From New York (15) - 10:00-11:55pm
    One of Kurt Russell's better movies. John Carpenter directs this futuristic action thriller, about mercenary Snake Plissken (Russell) who is forced to try and rescue the new President. The only problem is that the President is stuck in a maximum-security prison, where Manhattan once stood. Plissken is forced to break all the rules, for the sake of the US. Can he rescue the leader of the country? Violence and strong language. (ITV2)

Nip/Tuck - 10:50pm-12:50am
    Double-bill of the second season, of this wonderfully tasteless drama about our two anti-hero plastic surgeons. Please note that the show may start later than advertised, if "Butt Munch 6" is extended for some stupid reason. If this happens, "Nip/Tuck" will air between 11:05pm-1:05am instead. (Channel 4)

Thursday 14th
    Should I Worry About…? - 7:00-7:30pm
    The enjoyable and alternative consumer watchdog show, returns with a second series of 6 programmes. Each episode deals with a relevant and topical consumer issue, and asks "Should I be worried about it". Shifting the fact from the fiction, is Top Gear co-presenter Richard Hammond. The results are often surprising and enlightening. Tonight's show deals with "takeaway food" and takeaway shops/restaurants. (BBC1)

Spelling Bee - 9:00-10:30pm
    Seeing as ITV has now officially run-out of anything remotely resembling an original idea, we have yet another evening devoted to the wonders of children spelling really, really difficult words. :bored: Add-in some Z-list celebs - namely Lisa Maxwell, Tara Palmer-Tompkinson, Wendy Peters, Antony Cotton, Fiona Phillips, Samantha Bond and Edwina Currie, and you have another 90-minutes of national, prime-time TV being wasted! :rolleyes: So much for ITV celebrating 50 years of being on-air! Chris Tarrant hosts, (and I use this word loosely), the quiz. :mad:

Dispatches: Reopening The Post - 9:00-10:00pm
    A follow-up from last-years controversial investigation into the widespread problems of the Royal Mail and our once-great postal service. Since the original documentary was filmed and shown, Dispatches investigates to see if things have improved. Has Royal Mail Chief Executive Adam Crozier implemented any of the changes he originally promised? Have the problems over temporary staffing been solved? And how has staff morale changed, in light of the floodgate of new and alternative delivery services, that are due in 2006? (Channel 4)

Cold Feet - 10:45-11:50pm
    ITV3 starts the drama, right back from the very beginning, with the 1997 Pilot Episode, and intends to air all five series back-to-back, on a weekly basis. For those who mourn the show's end, relive the highs and lows. Those of you who didn't watch it at all, (like me), here's a chance to see what everyone was talking about. (ITV3)

Friday 15th
    Stargate: Atlantis - 8:00-9:00pm
    Five brings terrestrial viewers the chance to see one of the best sci-fi show in recent years. A spin-off from the long-running "Stargate SG-1", this is the first of a two-part Pilot Episode, called "Rising". It introduces viewers to the Atlantis crew, and their expedition to discover the fabled lost city, believed to have sunken beneath the Atlantic ocean. Having seen the show on Sky 1, I can say that whilst the series takes a few episodes to get going, by about Episode 5 or 6, it really improves. Watch out for the amazing two-parter "The Storm" and "The Eye", which are Episodes 10 and 11 respectively! Season 1 contains 20 episodes, and is soon-over, so enjoy it whilst you can. All-new Season 2 episodes will start to air on Sky 1, from mid to late August 2005, :clap: , with the Season 1 conclusion "The Siege - Part III"! :eek: Series is being shown uncut, in Widescreen, and sans DOG! (Five)

CSI: The Best Ever - 9:00-10:00pm
    After the confusion over last-weeks episode - my apologies for the error - this week sees an episode from Season 2 of "CSI: Miami"! "Hard Time" sees the Florida-set forensics team investigating a murder scene. But on arrival, and just prior to autopsying the body, they discover that the victim is still alive! :eek: After a few more weeks of "Best Ever" episodes, Five will give viewers a chance to nominate their favourite episode from the ones shown. It's a shame that viewers didn't get the chance to vote which episodes they felt were the best, as the ones shown, I've personally felt have not been the best. Good, but not the best. Where's "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation's" Season 1's "Unfriendly Skies", or "Sounds Of Silence"? And what about Season 2's superb "Slaves Of Law Vegas" that introduced us to Lady Heather? Or, the follow-on story in Season 3, "Lady Heather's Box"?! Maybe they will be shown over the next few weeks. (Five)

Desperate Housewives - 11:35pm-12:40am
    Another chance to watch the entirety of Season 1 again, over the next 3 months, every Friday night. Starting tonight, we have the "Pilot Episode", which introduces us to the mysterious and beautiful women of Wysteria Lane! I'd heartily recommend this show. It's another example of why US TV is so much better than ours. I admit it's not to everyone's taste, but stick with it, as by episode 3 and 4, it really gets going. If you are fed up with US crime dramas, and want something provocative, sensual and darkly satiric, then watch this! (Channel 4)

Ah, another two hours of my life, disappeared! :D As always, I'll be back in about a week's time, with another round-up of what to (and what not to) watch! Until then, keep those square-eyes peeled! We've got some great shows, starting over the next few months, (some starting over the next few weeks!), including:
    "Stargate SG-1"
    "The 4400" (Season 2)
    "One Tree Hill" (Season 2)
    "The Shield" (Season 4)
    "Law And Order: Criminal Intent" (Season 3)
    "Arrested Development" (Season 2), :clap:
    "Lost" (Season 1)
    "The West Wing" (Season 5 on terrestrial, Season 6 on digital)
    "CSI: Miami" (Season 3)
    "Boston Legal" (Season 1 on terrestrial)
    "Carnivale" (Season 2 - the final series)
    "The Dead Zone" (Season 3 on terrestrial, Season 4 on digital)
    "Firefly" (Season 1 on terrestrial)
    "Medium" (Season 1 on BBC2)
    "Family Guy" (Season 4 on BBC2)
    "Monk" (Seasons 1, 2 and 3 on Hallmark)
    "NYPD Blue" (Season 10 on Channel 4)
    "The Osbournes" (Season 3 on Channel 4)
    "The Practice" (Season 8 on ITV3)
    "Rescue Me" (Season 2 on Sky 1)
    "Sue Thomas F-B-Eye" (Season 3 on Hallmark)
    "Veronica Mars" (BBC2)
    "The Wire" (Season 2 on FX)
    "Without A Trace" (Season 3 on Channel 4 and E4)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pooch

2. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As usual, great stuff.

Thanks Pooch.

3. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    NYPD Blue Season 10

Faints

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hello People.

Arrrgrggrgrghhhhhh! I cannot believe that Five has gone and postponed the two-hour Season 5 finale of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigations"! :mad: What an annoyance!

Well, I now have two hours to kill, whilst Five show two old episodes of the show, instead. So, what better way to fill that time up usefully, than to write-up my latest recommendations.

As will become apparent, because of events in London, Birmingham and Leeds over the past week or so, shows listed may change, be rescheduled or postponed at very short notice. Details were correct at the time of me writing this.

Saturday 16th July
    FILM: The Rocketeer (PG) - 4:10-6:00pm
    Brilliant adventure yarn, set in the 1930's and based on the comic book character of the same name. Jennifer Connelly and Bill Campbell take the lead roles, as the hero's love interest, and Cliff Secord / The Rocketeer respectively. Timothy Dalton stars as the villainous Neville Sinclair! Great family viewing! Contains some minor action violence, and a smattering of mild swearing. Showing in Widescreen. (Five)

Jason And The Argonauts - 4:20-6:00pm
    First of a two-part re-imagining of the classic Greek fantasy myth! Made by the US branch of the Hallmark Channel, this is a genuinely enjoyable reworking, and contains some great effects. An all-star cast, including Jason London, Jolene Blalock, Dennis Hopper and Natasha Henstridge, add glamour to the show. Part 2 airs tomorrow at 3:30pm. (Channel 4)

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - 9:10-10:10pm
    Five are going "CSI"-mad this week, starting tonight with a complete rerun of all episodes from Season 5, starting with episode one "Viva Las Vegas". I don't need to tell you why I've recommended this show, so just sit back and watch some of the greatest in US crime drama. (A Season 2 episode in the "Best Ever CSI" run, airs on Friday night at 9pm!) (Five)

FILM: Damien - Omen II (18) - 11:30pm-1:15am
    The first sequel to the classic horror movie, and it's not half-bad. Psycho-demon-child Damien, becomes a spoilt teenager, and discovers his dark-side, and promptly rebels - in more ways than one. One of the reasons I am recommending this film, is the fact that I am hoping that the BBC will be airing the original version of it. A few years back, 20th Century Fox released the Omen Trilogy on DVD. However, it appeared that "Damien- Omen II" had been pre-cut. The problem wasn't that anything violent had been deliberately removed, but that many AV Forums readers remember a sequence in the film, which no longer appeared. The scene involved the death of the female journalist, on a deserted road. In the new cut, the sequence is cut short. In the original version that many of us remembered as having seen on VHS and TV showings, we see the death in more graphic detail. No one was able to establish why this sequence had been truncated, or for what reasons. It was unlikely that many of us had experienced a mass hallucination, so where was the missing footage? Tonight, I hope we will get to see it. Showing uncut, and in Widescreen. Contains occasional scenes of strong violence. (BBC1)

FILM: Horror Hospital (18) - 12:25-2:00am
    Gory horror comedy, with Michael Gough and Robin Askwith. Postponed from 2nd July. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (BBC2)

FILM: The Fall Of The House Of Usher (12) - 1:40-3:05am
    Classic 1960 Vincent Price horror from Roger Corman, and based on another Edgar Allan Poe story. The last women in the Usher family is due to be married, but the family's history is less than stellar. A long-standing curse had caused all the women problems in their relationships, often in a horrific nature. Will the curse run its course, or will this be the time it ends? Contains mild violence - hence the certificate. Showing uncut. (Five)

Sunday 17th
    Doctor Who - 7:00-7:45pm / Doctor Who Confidential - 7:45-8:00pm
    A second chance to catch the brand-new 2005 version of the classic British sci-fi show, now with Christopher Eccleston in the title role. Forget what you know. Forget what you think. This is the all-new, grittier Doctor, and it's fantastic. Watch out for some of the best episodes like "Dalek" and the jaw-dropping two-part finale. All 13 episodes are being shown, followed by a 15-minute mini-documentary each week, exploring how the show came into being. Repeated on Friday at 9pm / 9:45pm respectively. (BBC3)

Secrets Of The Sexes - 9:00-10:00pm
    First in a three-part documentary examining the differences between men and women. The BBC conducted a survey in early 2005, and the results reveal some unusual results, many of which break long-held myths. The three programmes, showing over the next three Sunday evenings, examine aspects of the survey's results. Tonight's episode - "Brainsex" - shows how brain scans can enlighten us to how the sexes differ from one another - right from the day we are born. Provocative but intellgent show, that will provoke us all. (BBC1)

Trevor's World Of Sport - 10:00-10:30pm
    A complete repeat run of the short-lived comedy, that was initially shoved around the schedules, and generally mistreated, from 2003. Neil Pearson, (Dave from "Drop The Dead Donkey"), stars as Trevor, a sensitive agent, who struggles to cope in the cut-throat world of sport, where money, backstabbing and celebrity collide. Seven episodes. (BBC2).

Deadwood - 10:00-11:00pm
    It's the second episode from Season 2, and this is supposed to be the most profane, most graphically violent, and the most sexually-explicit episode of the show - to date! :eek: :clap: Bearing in mind this is an HBO show, and the fact that the show is already pretty controversial, this is going to be a landmark episode. It's also supposed to be wonderfully comedic, with a dark vein of humour involving Al Swearengen and a particularly twisted adult encounter! Be warned: this is an Adults Only show, and not for the easily offended! :lesson: Enjoy! (Sky 1)

FILM: Limelight (U) - 11:20pm-1:30am
    The final film starring and directed by Charlie Chaplin, is showing in a newly-remastered print by BBC4. Made in 1952, and co-starring Buster Keaton, the film follows a music star (Chaplin) who stops a dancer from committing suicide. Their friendship, alters the course of both their lives, with unexpected results. Despite the darker subject, this is still considered to be a comic-masterpiece. Highly recommended. (BBC4)

Tuesday 19th
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - 9:00-11:00pm
    The Season 5 double-length finale, should now air tonight. When aired in the US, it was claimed to be the best-ever episode of "CSI" ever, and was written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Contains stronger violence and graphic scenes that some viewers may find offensive. Enjoy this episode! If it’s as good as it's claimed, this is going to be the mother of all "CSI" stories! (Five)
    N.B. Some TV listings are listing this as two separate episodes, and others as a two-hour special. Five are intending to air this as a single, two-hour movie! Please be aware of this, if you intend recording this via Sky+ or Videoplus/PDC numbers, as they may not record correctly!

Fortunes Of War - 10:00-10:55pm
    Award-winning British drama with Kenneth Brannagh and Emma Thompson, set during the start of the First World War. First of seven episodes. (BBC4)

FILM: Leaving Las Vegas (18) - 10:30pm-12:40am
    Oscar-winning drama starring Nicolas Vegas and Elisabeth Shue, and directed by Mike Figgis. When a Hollywood worker loses his job, he gives up on life, and goes on one final alcoholic bender, in order to end his life. Arriving in Las Vegas, he decides to go out with a bang, as he ploughs his own way through a mid-life crisis. It's only when he befirends a street-walker, who's on the run from a violent pimp, do things start to change. Stunning drama, that manages to be uplifting despite its dark and adult subject matter. A beautiful and intelligent fable for open-minded adults who love the movies. Recommendation of the week! :clap: Contains strong language and adult scenes. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (ITV2)

Homegrown Hollywood - 2;00-6:00am!
    First in a new three-part series that showcases new and established, UK-based film talent. Through the form of short-films, animations and documentaries, each of the three episodes, will showcase four-hours worth of films, covering any and all topics. Due to the timeslot the series has been given, a lot of the material will not be suitable for younger audiences. Material shown, will be certificated at various levels, from a U rating right through to the adult-only 18 certificate. Viewer discretion is therefore highly recommended! Some material may offend or disturb. Parts 2 and 3 are on at the same time, over the next two consecutive nights!(BBC2)

Thursday 21st
    Extras - 9:00-9:30pm
    New six-part comedy show starring, written and produced by Ricky Gervais! Andy is an actor desperate to get his first starring role, after working solely as an extra. He is then hired alongside a friend of his, to work on a gritty drama show, directed by Ben Stiller. Each week, various characters will be played by real-life US talent, including Samuel L Jackson, Kate Winslet, Vinnie Jones, Patrick Stewart, and of course, Ben Stiller. This could be another awesome show, especially if "The Office" is anything to go by! (BBC2)

One Tree Hill - 9:00-10:00pm
    Here's the start of Season 2 of the US drama about two brothers who grew up apart. As Dan lies in hospital on the verge of dying, Lucas and Keith have moved out of Tree Hill. Will Dan's health, be enough to bring his son and brother back to his bedside? Channel 4 viewers will be able to see this show, in a few weeks time! (E4)

Absolute Power - 10:00-10:30pm
    Second series of the political comedy with Stephen Fry and John Bird, as media-savvy PR agents Prentiss and McCabe! I loved the first series, and it wonderfully exploited how bad things can get when PR goes totally wrong, and the lengths the agency will do to rectify everything. The second series should be just as good. An acquired taste, but worth investigating, if you're looking for out-of-the-ordinary comedy. Contains strong language. (BBC2)

Victoria Wood's Big Fat Documentary - 10:35-11:35pm
    A repeat showing of a wonderfully emotive and heart-warming two-part documentary, about what it is like to be big in today's society. When the media and society look at women only in terms of their physical appearance, how does it feel when you don't fit in to the "norm", for one reason or another? Wood shows us, with pathos and humour, what it feels like to be different, and how difficult it is to try to remain who you are, in a world that won't accept you that very way. Superb and raw. Highly recommended! Part two airs next Wednesday night. (BBC1)

Showbiz Hissy Fits - 10:50-11:55pm
    One-off show that looks at and mocks the best and worst of celebrity fights and hissy fits. Presented by Julian Clary, the show takes a biting look at what happens when celebrities don't get their own way. The Bee Gee's, Elton John and Joan Rivers all make appearances. Expect strong language. (Channel 4)

Well, that's all for this week. A shorter than usual list, but I hope there are still something that everyone will want to watch. Keep coming back for updates! Happy Viewing! :)

Pooch

5. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Pooch,

Long time no post - I had honestly forgotten this forum as I found Digital Spy and find that a very lively forum, especially during the showing of the new Doctor Who series.

I noticed your mention of the Colin Friel's series BalckJack. I managed to spot this on BBC 1 and recorded what I thought were episodes 2, 3 and 4. Now it seems the BBC may have shown only these, missing out the original pilot episode. Am I correct, and if so, does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the pilot?

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Barbara,

It's good to hear from you! :hiya: How are things? It seems like ages since the days of the Bravo and Sci-Fi Channel TV forums disappeared? :(

Okay, the BBC did air all 4 made-for-TV "Blackjack" movies, over 4 consecutive weeks. However, they aired them in the incorrect order. They transmitted them as: episodes 1, 3, 2 and then 4.

Unfortunately, I know of no official DVD release of any of the four movies. However, as Episodes 3 and 4 were only made in 2005, there may be an eventual DVD Region 4 boxed-set, later this year, or possibly next. I doubt they will get a Region 2 or 1 release however, simply because they are unlikely to have been popular enough.

I enjoyed the four films, and it was nice to see Gigi Edgley (Chiana in "Farscape") sans make-up, and as herself for once. :)

Anyway, I hope you are well, and that you will come back to the AV Forums again soon, even if it's only to check my weekly TV Updates, that are posted. :D

Best Wishes,

Pooch

7. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Pooch,

I'll visit here more often now I know you are posting information. Still miss the SciFi forum.

I found out the correct order when I was googling etc for information about BlackJack. The pilot seems to be referred to as a film and the rest as a trilogy. So I've got the trilogy, and was hoping Sky would show the pilot/film as they tend to do this for pilots for series that don't happen. I hardly ever watch the BBC so if BlackJack was advertised I was unlikely to have seen it. I wonder if BlackJack will appear on BBC3 or 4? Got Colin Friels highlighted as a "favourite person" in Digiguide so should show up.

Given up on waiting for Lost on C4/E4 and got them from another source. :clap:

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hey Barbara,

1) Blackjack maybe repeated on the BBC soon, and if it is, don't expect any advertising. The only reason I found out that it was going to be on, was by reading the Radio Times very closely. Then I did some internet hunting, and posted about the show on here.

As the show was made as a joint-production between the BBC and the Australian Network, it's unlikely that Sky will be able to air them. that doesn't mean to say that they won't, but as you have the show highlighted in Digiguide, that will help you out. Obviously, if I hear of any repeat showings, I will post about them on these forums. :)

As for "Lost", it starts in August on both E4 and C4! I won't ask where you got them from. :D

Pooch

9. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Pooch

Any idea when season 8 of The Practice starts?

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    Hi Pooch

Any news on the new series of CSI Miami?

Keep up the excellent work! :thumbsup:

Also, you mentioned Deadwood's episode tomorrow being very violent and sexually explicit. How explicit is it? I watch this with a family member (over 18 obviously), don't mind the violence or swearing but could do without watching graphic sex scenes with them.

Cheers
    Greg

11. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The Shield S4 starts on saturday 22nd at 11pm.

Finally

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi People,

I'll try and answer your queries. ;)

1) No news yet on whether ITV3 has the rights to air the final Season (8) of "The Practice". At the moment, they've just started a repeat run, and are in the early part of Season 3. The chances of them buying Season 8 are pretty reasonable, considering they've had UK premieres of Season 4 onwards! So....

2) "CSI: Miami" (Season 3) will start soon on Five. No confirmed dates yet, but it should be by mid-September at the latest.

3) Deadwood: Season 2 Episode 2 is ultra-explicit, and that's all I know, I'm afraid! :( As I don't have Sky at the moment, I can't tell you how bad it is, other than what I've been told, have heard from others, and read on the Net!

4) "The Shield" (Season 4) starts On Five on Saturday 23rd July at 11pm! :clap: (Fordy, you are one day out, mate. :D )

5) "Lost" (Season 1) starts in less than 2-weeks on both Channel 4 and E4, although I can't get anything about exactly when or what time-slots the show is being aired in, from Channel 4. (No surprises there! :D ) However, it should be airing uncut, and be in a post-8pm timeslot. More details, as soon as I get them.

Pooch

P.S. And thanks for the kind words, too! :) Much appreciated!

13. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I heard Lost was starting Wednesday, 10th August, at 10pm. Don't know if that is C4 or E4.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I can officially now confirm that "Lost" will now start on Wednesday 10th August at 10pm, on Channel 4, followed by the next episode at 11pm on E4. :clap:

Let's hope C4 don't bugger the show up, with edits or too many ads! :nono:

Pooch

15. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch,

A belated thank you for answering my BB question. I am cured of my addiction to the BB characters, thank goodness. There were so many other interesting programmes you had brought to my attention I realised I didn't have time for the scintillating conversations on Big Brother!

I was disappointed to see the Television Programme Forum had been moved further down the Forums. I complained mildly, by e-mail, to the Administrator but it looks as if this is now the allotted space. I thought it had been omitted or there was a glitch until I realised after a few days that it had been moved. There must have been others who thought as I did.

My Sky+ Pace went kaput late last Sunday and I missed the second episode of Deadwood as I was trying to remedy the fault. The first episode I enjoyed, despite the irritating repetition of the F word. Thank goodness I didn't live in those times and that situation with all that violence. It reminded me of a western I saw about a month ago, "The Quick and the Dead", with Leonard di Caprio as a teenager. As I didn't have my Sky+ box to record one and watch another, I had to miss one of my favourite films, "Leaving Las Vegas".

I enjoyed the CSI double bill. It was predictable in that we knew he would be discovered in time; it would have been better if he hadn't, to put an extra edge on the storyline, Tarantino doesn't always go for happy endings. It was very tense and I had to look away when the ants were apparently eating him. I must watch the CSI repeats on Saturdays, or record them, as I find them so engrossing.

I see you mention "Lost". I shall have to look on Google to see what that's all about. If you think it's good then it will be.

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for your continuing kind comments! It's nice to see my work being appreciated. :) I'm glad I've cured you of Butt Munch. With all the coverage it gets in the press, TV and on radio, you don't need to watch it, to know what's happening. :D

I'm not sure why the TV Forum was moved, but I think it was done, to get people to look at the lesser-viewed sections of the Forums. At least, that's what I've been told.

"Deadwood" (Season 2, Episode 2) is repeated later this week on both Sky 1 and Sky Mix, so keep an eye out for them. Yes, the "f-word" can get annoying, but then the show is authentic, and note how it's mainly Al Swearengen (Ian McShane's character) who does most of the cussing! Most of the others, possibly with the exception of Jane, tend to be a lot more restrained. :)

Lastly, "Lost" is the new show from JJ Abrams - the creator of "Alias". It's about a bunch of people who crash-land in a plane accident, on an island somewhere, and are forced to survive. The press in the US went crazy over it, and people who've downloaded episodes off of the Internet in the UK :nono: have also given it amazing reviews. As it's already been given a Second Season, I think it's safe to say, that the show will do well.

Pooch

17. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    anyone know why Deadwood is on later this week?

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Afternoon Everyone,

Another 7 days has passed by, and another week of mixed events has taken place. I'm sure many of you have enjoyed the extremely hot weather over the past fortnight or so, and have done far more sensible and pleasant things, than sit in front of the TV. But, if you haven't been so sensible, then here's another load of programmes and movies you should enjoy. :)

Saturday 23rd
    FILM: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (PG) - 2:00-4:35pm
    Possibly the only Bond film to divide film fans so intensely. Those who loathe it, hated the new Bond, courtesy of George Lazenby. Those who loved it, enjoyed his intelligent interpretation of Britain's best Secret Agent. One of the great things about this film, is that even if you aren't a Bond fan, per se, you can still enjoy this film as a great action thriller. Unlike many Bond movies, this one is played fairly seriously, and doesn't have the jokey elements of the Connery or Moore movies. Showing uncut. (ITV1)

"House" Weekend - 7:00-11:00pm
    Have you missed any of the episodes of the new US drama, starring Hugh Laurie? Want to know what all the fuss is about? Well, here's a chance to see all of the first 8 episodes, back-to-back over two nights. Episodes 1 to 4 air tonight, with 5 through 8 tomorrow. Showing in 4:3 format only! (Episode 8 is showing on Five on Thursday night at 10pm, in Widescreen!) (Hallmark Channel)

The Shield - 11:05pm-12;10am
    It's here at last! :clap: Season 4 of the acclaimed US show, that turned the police detective drama on its head! Sit back for the next 13 weeks, as we return to see what happens to the Strike Team, led by Detective Vic Mackey. SPOILER ALERT!! For those who don't remember: in the final episode of Season 3, the Strike Team was at crisis-point, after Shane's wife was caught channelling funds from the Money Train Heist, to aid his mother-in-law, (to escape from Federal Custody), right from under his nose, and without his authority. Tension between Shane, Vic and Curtis, tore the team apart, with Shane and Curtis refusing to trust one another any more. Money within the heist had also been "marked" by Internal Affairs, and Curtis decided that he could no longer keep the heist funds secret, and tried to burn it all, to remove any evidence of the marked bills and of the Strike Team's involvement! When Vic discovered this, Curtis had managed to burn a lot of the funds, but not all of it. What was left was to be kept under lock-and-key, but no one was willing to trust anyone else. (Vic didn't trust Shane, because of Shane's wife. Shane didn't trust Curtis, because Curtis went and burned the money, and was tempted to spill his guts, whilst Curtis wasn't willing to trust Vic, because of all the lies and deception that the Strike Team were being forced into constantly pulling-off! END OF SPOILER!! Will the Strike Team be able to recover? :eek: Showing uncut and in widescreen. (Five)

FILM: 2001: A Space Odyssey (U) - 00:35-3:00am
    Jaw-dropping classic sci-fi film, from Stanley Kubrick, based on the novella by Arthur C Clarke, about the evolution of mankind. This is not your run-of-the-mill sci-fi film, so don't go expecting aliens, space battles, and special effects galore. What you do get, though, is a cerebral, and controversial history of mankind, and its relation to pre-history and the future of space-travel. Complex, and at times unwieldy, but thought-provoking and striking. Although the film has a U certificate, there may be occasional scenes that some viewers might not want younger children to view. Unfortunately, the dramatic 2.40:1 widescreen composition is going to be lost on TV. (ITV1)

Sunday 24th
    FILM: King Kong (PG) - 6:00-7:55am / 1:00-2:55pm / 7:00-8:55pm
    The 1939 monster-movie classic is being shown throughout the day. Currently being remade by Peter "Lord Of The Rings" Jackson, see the original. Despite its age, the film still stands up to today's blockbuster films. The ending, is superb, and still as haunting as ever! (UK Drama)

"House" Weekend - 7:00-11:00pm
    Episodes 5 through 8 of this great new US medical drama. Don’t worry about all the medical jargon. Just enjoy Hugh Laurie's acidic performance as Dr Gregory House - a doctor whose bedside manner is less than pleasant. (Hallmark Channel)

Die Zweite Heimat - 10:30pm-12:30am
    The second series in the "Heimat" trilogy starts tonight, and it's even more intense than the first. :eek: Each episode lasts about 2 hours, and deals with one of Hermann Simon's friends and/or lovers. The mixture of mono and colour photography is as astounding as always, but the series requires lots of patience and attention, due to the complex nature of the overall story-arc. Each episode will air once only, on Sunday and Friday nights, at approximately 10:30pm. In German, with English subtitles. (BBC4)

FILM: Terminator 2 - Judgement Day (15) - 12:05-2:35am
    James Cameron's stunning 1991 sci-fi classic, is repeated again, and it's still one of the best action films ever made! :) Showing in the original cinema version, (approximately 135 minutes), with just occasional and very minor edits. Contains strong language and graphic violence throughout. Also airing on Monday night, at 10:00pm-12:35am. (ITV2)

Monday 25th
    The OC - 9:00-10:00am
    Over the next 5 weeks, you can catch edited weekday repeats of all of Season 2 of this classy US drama, set in Orange County. (Channel 4)

Tuesday
    CSI: Miami - 9:00-10:00pm
    This is the "CSI: Miami" Season 2 episode "M.I.A. / NYC-Nonstop", which introduced us to the all-new second CSI spin-off characters who would eventually get their own series. An investigation into the death of a teenage girl takes Horatio and his team to New York, where he meets the local CSI's - namely Detective Mac Taylor and Stella Bonasera. (Five)

CSI: NY - 10:00-11:00pm
    The Pilot Episode starts off a complete rerun of Season 1 of the second "CSI" spin-off. The body of a missing woman leads to the hunt for a killer who imprisons his victims. It is only when one of the victims survives, that Detective Mac Taylor and his team, have to endure an unusual method of question and answering, in order to hunt their prey. Although the spin-off is considered to be the weakest of the CSI franchise, there are some spectacular episodes, and the dark and gritty New York setting are worlds apart from the Miami Everglades, or the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas. Recommended viewing, even if you aren't a "CSI" fan. (Five)

The Smoking Room - 9:30-10:00pm
    A second six-part series, of the comedy set in the smoking room at a school. (BBC3)

The Mighty Boosh - 11:00-11:30pm
    This wacky comedy, which won't be to everyone's tastes, returns for a second series, starting tonight. Set amongst the staff and animals of a zoo, the show follows a couple of young men who get into all manner of mischief and mayhem, instead of their regular duties. (BBC3)

Worlds Greatest Police Shoot-Outs! - 11:05pm-Midnight
    If you like violence, or like to see what happens when gun crime goes out of control, watch this astonishing US documentary, about some of the most controversial police shoot-outs. Despite its title, it's not as salacious as is usual for this kind of show. Unsurprisingly, most of the action is from the USA. Contains violence and scenes that some viewers may find destressing. (ITV2)

Wednesday 27th
    FILM: Romeo And Juliet (PG) - 11:00am-1:20pm
    Probably one of the best adaptations of Shakespeares' incredible love-story. Franco Zeffirelli directs this version, from 1968. Showing in Widescreen. (BBC2)

The Strange Case Of Sherlock Holmes And Arthur Conan Doyle - 9:00-10:30pm
    One-off BBC drama about why the famous Victorian author killed-off his most popular character, at the height of his fame. Conan Doyle may have been one of the pre-cursors to introduce the world to forensics in solving crime, but the stories he wrote were truly awful, and hardly worth the great acclaim they were given. However, I'm certain that I will be in the minority of that opinion. Nonetheless, the drama should be worth a watch. Douglas Henshall stars. (BBC2)

FILM: Rambo III (18) - 9:45-11:20pm
    John Rambo is forced to return to Afghanistan, to rescue his old army commander. The last in the series, but also the one that caused all of the controversy. On its initial 1989 release, there were huge problems over the amount of strong, sadistic violence and torture in the film, and the BBFC demanded many edits. Then, a few years later, Britain was rocked by the Hungerford Massacre. In this small English town, one man took a gun and went on a shooting spree, killing many people. Blame was laid at this film's door, and even now, it's easy to see why so many wanted to use this film as a scapegoat for such an evil act. Comic-book style action film, that leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth. Showing in the original, uncensored version, and in Widescreen. Contains strong language throughout, and scenes of extreme violence that some people will find offensive. (BBC3)

FILM: Lifeforce (18) - 10:00pm-12:20am / 2:20-4:40am
    Brilliantly silly 1980's British science-fiction horror film, starring Steve Railsback, Peter Firth and Patrick "Jean-Luc Picard" Stewart. Based on the cult short-story "Space Vampires", the film follows a vessel travelling through space, hidden by Halley's Comet. Inside the vessel, is a creature not of this earth. Unfortunately for the citizens of London, the creature escapes, and starts to look for food - of the human variety. This film isn't as bad as many people claim, and if you take it with a pinch of salt, it's great post-pub, cult entertainment. The effects are pretty good, but above all, it's just trashy fun! :clap: The film is famous, however, for another reason entirely: the vampire was played by Spanish actress Mathilde May, who appears nude throughout most of the movie! Nowhere near as sexist as it might sound, but be warned if you are easily offended by nudity. Contains gore, and violence as well! (Sci-Fi Channel)

Thursday 28th
    FILM: The Blues Brothers (15) - 9:00-11:35pm
    The all-star cast, including Jim Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Steven Spielberg, Ray Charles, John Landis, Carrie Fisher, Aretha Franklin, Henry Gibson, John Candy, Steven Williams, Twiggy, Pee-Wee Herman, John Lee Hooker, Frank Oz, and Cab Calloway, help make this one of the best comedies ever! Two ex-cons go for the ride of their life, to try and reunite their old band for one last, money-making gig! Watch out for the car-chase to end all car-chases; the "Penguin" lecture scene; Ray Charles taking target practice on a thief; the Neo-Nazi parade; and see how many fanous faces you can spot. Hilarious from the opening scene, to the last, with a music-score to die for! An absolute stunner on every level! Watch this if you've never seen it, and watch it even if you have! This is pretty much a perfect film! :) My personal recommendation for the week. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. Contains strong language, and some violence. (ITV3)

FILM: Three Fugitives (15) - 11:35pm-1:10am
    Brilliant comedy adventure, with Nick Nolte and Martin Short. When a bungling bank robber (Short) takes an ex-con (Nolte) hostage, in order to raise funds to help his sick little daughter, little does he realise the mess the two will make. At times, it can be sentimental, but it's a gem of a film. From 1987, and based on the French comedy, "Les Fugitifs". Watch out for the mad vet played in true-schizo style by "Dune" actor, Kenneth "Baron Vladimir Harkonnen" MacMillan. Contains swearing and violence. (BBC1)

Friday 29th
    FILM: Independence Day (12) - 8:30-10:00pm and 10:35-11:20pm
    If you like intelligent science-fiction films, with a great plot, then don't watch this one! :eek: From the men who ruined "Godzilla", comes one of the worst sci-fi films ever made in cinematic history! :rotfl: It's got lots of special effects, but it's truly :censored: in every other aspect. Hammy acting, a cornball plot, and totally jingoistic! Avoid, if possible, unless you really must see a 150-minute promo-film for how great the USA is when it comes to war! :rolleyes: Shockingly bad! Split around the news. Contains action violence. (BBC1)

And on that clanger of a note, I end another 2-hour-long stint on my laptop PC, and another 7 days worth of all that is good and bad on TV!

Just to end - albeit on a slightly more sombre note - I want to dedicate this particular edition of my weekly updates, to a great friend of mine, who sadly passed away in the early hours of the 23rd July 2004, from Cancer. :( I only knew her for about 8 or 9 months prior to that date, and she was someone I became extremely close too, and shared many fond times with. Sadly, at just 38 years of age, she was taken away from all of her family and friends. Myself included.

Janey - I hope you are warm, and safe, and are having a wonderful time, wherever it is you are! :blush: I miss you heaps, and you are never far from my thoughts! I will love you always! I only wish we had got to say goodbye. :( :(

Big hugs,

Pooch

19. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Pooch,

What can I say except that I am very, very sorry and sad for you today with the loss of your close friend. You will be feeling very emotional and empty yet you made the tremendous effort to update our viewing when you must have felt that television programmes were so unimportant compared to losing someone you love.

It is not an appropriate time to comment on your choices but thank you for being so brave and not letting us down by contributing your weekly listings. It is appreciated by us all.

I hope this coming week will not be too difficult for you. It's acceptable nowadays for grown men to cry and indeed it probably helps to do so.

All Good Wishes to you
    Cynthia

20. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch,

I am sorry that I misread the year on your update and thought you had just lost your friend that day. Nevertheless an anniversary is still a very sad time for you.

Thank you for the updates, there are some gems amongst them, particularly Heimat for me.

Apologies for any embarrassment I may have caused you. It isn't a good idea for me to look at this forum at midnightl, I only read half the story.

21. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the kind responses. :) Don't worry about the minor error over the date. Like you say, reading the forum at Midnight, can do weird things to you. :D

I was feeling okay yesterday, but just wanted to honour my friend's memory via the post. I have cried in the past, so that's kinda out of my system now, but I still miss her heaps. I also did something special in her memory too, yesterday. So, I'm cool with everything.

Anyway, glad the update was still useful. :) And thanks again for your posts. :smashin:

Pooch

22. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pooch

Thanks for your regular posts, I always check to see what insider info on the schedule you provide.

Do you have an air date for LOST?

Channel 4 are now promoting it more often than that bloody Madagascar game advert is shown during my children's morning programmes.

Thanks

Mark

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Castle,

LOST will now air on Channel 4 from 10th August 2005, at 10pm.

Pooch

24. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the speedy response.

I look forward to reading your August post.

Regards

Mark