New TV Viewing For January/February 2006!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Afternoon People,

Well, I’m going to be visiting family for a few days, and as such, I won’t be back on the Forums until Tuesday 31st January. However, despite the fact that I’ve got a million-and-one tasks to get completed in the next 24 hours before I depart on the train, I still wanted to notify you folks of the following TV update information. I’ll try to be as brief as I can, but then you know what I’m like! :D Enjoy!

MOVIE NEWS
It’s been announced this morning, that Sean Penn’s younger acting brother – Chris Penn – has been found dead, at the young age of just 40 years! :( He is probably best known to UK movie fans as appearing in the 1991 thriller “Reservoir Dogs”. The local police are not suspecting foul play, but there has been no press statement about the exact circumstances. Suicide may be the cause. More news will be made public over the next 48 hours. Condolences to his family, relatives and friends, on their sad loss.

SKY HI-DEF NEWS
Yes, after lots of rumours, I can officially announce that Sky is going to start transmitting two Hi-Def Movie Channels! :clap: From Monday 30th January 2006, Sky Movies 9 and 10 will broadcast their output, solely in Hi-Def format! The channels will now be known as “Sky Movies 9 HD” and “Sky Movies 10 HD”, and will be on the Sky EPG at Channels 309 and 310 respectively. Three important notes, however:
- “Sky Movies 10 HD” will no longer be available on any other broadcast platform. This means NTL, Telewest and other assorted cable TV broadcasters will NOT be carrying this channel!
- “Sky Movies 9 HD” will broadcast across all current platforms, including NTL and Telewest cable, but will remain in non-Hi-Def format until the cable channels sort out the relevant technology (and their customers, the appropriate set-top-boxes), to broadcast and receive in Hi-Def!
- Unless you have appropriate digital receiving equipment, you will not be able to receive true Hi-Def picture quality. You will receive a downgraded broadcast picture instead, just as the Cable TV companies will.
Both “Hi-Def” channels will broadcast daily from 5pm until approximately 3am. All movies rated with a BBFC 15 or 18 certificate, will require your PIN Number to be viewed and/or recorded! So please be aware of this! :lesson:
Lastly, the films in the first week, are pretty lame choices: “Miracle On 34th Street” (remake), “Being Julia”, “Identity”, “Multiplicity” and a few others. Hardly the best choices to launch Hi-Def broadcasting in the UK with! Hopefully, Sky will start to make some better selections, in coming weeks.

As a result of this, “Sky Cinema 1” and “Sky Cinema 2” will move to EPG Channels 313 and 314 respectively, on the same date.

UPDATES
Saturday 28th Jan
SCHEDULE CHANGE – “Surface” which has just started broadcasting on ITV1 on Saturday afternoons, appears to have been temporarily dropped from their schedules. ITV2 broadcasts will still continue, and I am hoping that ITV1 will resume from Episode 3 (which is where we left the show), in a couple of weeks or so. Some listings guides state it is next due to air on the 28th Jan at 4:45pm, on ITV1, but others don’t list it at all. Please check press for further details!

Now And Again – 8:00-9:00pm
Pilot Episode of this short-lived, single Season, sci-fi TV drama, that starts off with one of the most shocking opening scenes, I’ve seen in a long-time! When an old man arrives on US soil, he carries with him some eggs, containing a deadly toxin. The toxin is released on the subway, and all hell breaks loose – quite literally! It’s incredibly eerie, and highly effective. Moreso, because it will remind you of both the Sarin Gas attack in Japan from a few years back, and the recent bombings in London, in July 2005, adding an incredibly uncompromising sense of realism to the sequence. The series continues tomorrow night, at the same time! (ITV4)

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation – 9:10-10:55pm
The Season 5 two-part finale “Grave Danger” gets a welcome repeat! This is the brilliantly claustrophobic feature-length conclusion, directed by Quentin Tarantino. Contains some strong scenes of violence and gore. (Five)

FILM: The Negotiator (15) – 9:10-11:25pm
Superb action thriller, with Samuel L Jackson and Kevin Spacey, about a police negotiator who is forced into taking drastic measures, after he is set-up for a money-laundering crime he didn’t commit. Tense, violent, thrilling, and absolutely stunning from beginning to end. Highly recommended! Contains strong language and violence throughout. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (BBC3)

Sunday 29th
Riverdance In China – 6:00-7:00pm
The worldwide hit, is performed in China, in an all-new variation on the original theatrical production. (Sky 3)

NEW: Miracles – 1:55-2:50am
New US mystery drama, showing at the ungodly hour, with no details as to who is in it, or what it’s all about. Could be good, or totally pants! Airs at various times after 1am, each night! (LivingTV)

Monday 30th
Food Night On BBC4 – Various Times
Three excellent shows, exploring the modern British person, and the food industry. At 9pm, “Time Shift” explores why ready-made meals have become so popular in recent years, and why we no longer sit down to have meals as families. At 10:10pm, “Meades Eats” has Jonathan Meades exploring our love-hate relationship with fast food. Then, at 10:40pm, “Storyville” follows the hilarious and infamous case of the “McLibel” trial. Two British people took on the might of McDonalds, after they produced a leaflet about how the corporation was ruining the world, and the people who live in it. McDonalds were so incensed, they tried to take the couple to court… but failed! The documentary follows the case from beginning to end, and shows just how the smallest person can take on the biggest corporation in the world, and still come out on tops, even when no one else will listen! Highly Recommended – especially if you loathe everything that McDonalds stands for! Contains occasional bad language. Showing in the uncut 85 minute version – certificate 12! (BBC4)

The Mighty Boosh – 11:20-11:50pm
New (to terrestrial fans) series of this acerbic UK comedy. This is Series 2, which has six episodes. First shown on BBC3. (BBC2)

Kath And Kim – 11:50pm-12:15am
Repeat showing of Season 1 of this outrageously funny Australian comedy, that takes the mickey out of Australian soaps, and the stereotypical Australian man and woman! Kim is forced to move back in with her mother, when Kim leaves her boyfriend, Brett. Domestic chaos ensues. If you’ve ever seen episodes of “Neighbours”, “Home And Away” or “Prisoner: Cell Block H”, you will enjoy this show. First of 8 episodes. Contains some adult material. (BBC2)

SCHEDULE CHANGE – Third Watch (Additional Screenings)
If you haven’t already noticed, FX has kindly listened to viewers and fans of this excellent US drama. Although schedules in TV guides and newspapers still list the show as airing at 7pm only, this is now incorrect, and you should follow the schedules as set-out by me, here. Episodes will now air at 7pm (edits made only when absolutely necessary), 11pm (approx – a repeat of the 7pm transmission, but with episodes airing completely uncut and uncensored), and then repeated the next weekday at 1pm (heavily cut, for daytime transmission). Episodes are also repeated on Saturdays between Midday and 2pm (Monday and Tuesday episodes), and Sundays between Midday and 3pm (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday episodes), but these are heavily cut daytime episodes! After Season 1 ends, FX will continue straight-on with Seasons 2 and 3! :clap: :clap:

Tuesday 31st
NEW: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation – 9:00-10:00pm
They’re back! Grissom, Catherine, Warrick, Nick, Sara, Brass and Greg, as we start the all-new Season 6! The story continues just days after the Season 5 finale (shown on Saturday night), as Nick has to come to terms with his new-found phobia of insects, and being a kidnap/torture victim. He also learns, that he wasn’t the intended victim – but that Warrick was! There’s also a shocking surprise for Sara Sidel! The episode contains the most graphically violent and gory scene of the entire series to date, so please be warned! It’s extremely strong stuff – certainly an 18-rated shocker! :eek: (Five)
FUN FACTS:
- Dr Al Robbins (Robert David Hall) had to have both of his legs amputated, after a road accident. This is why, in all his roles, both in “CSI” and other film and TV shows, he is seen with a walking stick, as both of his legs are artificial.
- The characters of Grissom and Willows are genuinely based on real-life people – namely Las Vegas pathologists Daniel Holstein and Yolanda McCrery.
POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT:
- Later on in Season 6, a special two-part episode (“A Bullet Runs Through It” - Episodes 7 and 8) takes place. One of the major characters future is directly affected, to the point that their career could well become professionally buried… permanently, leading to their exit from the show!
END OF POSSIBLE SPOILER:

30 Days – 10:00-11:00pm
Repeat of the excellent documentary, from Morgan Spurlock, where he and his fiancée try living on the American Minimum Wage, to experience what it is really like for so many in the USA in the 21st Century. (More4 +1)

Prison Break – 11:00pm-Midnight
Despite my initial posting in another thread, it seems that contrary to what I wrote, “Prison Break” is being repeated each week. Episodes will air initially on Mondays at 10pm, with a next-day repeat at 11pm. However, this may change, depending on Five’s schedules over the next few months. Tonight sees a repeat of Episode 2. (Five)

Chopped Off – 11:05pm-12:05am
This is a show for every woman who wished they had taken revenge on an ex-boyfriend, and will serve as a warning to all men, who think that women need not be treated with respect! :eek: In 1993, American John Wayne Bobbitt learned what the wrath of a woman scorned can be like. He was attacked, and his genitals chopped-off with a kitchen knife, by his then-girlfriend! The documentary follows what led-up to this incident, the immediate aftermath, and why such drastic action was taken by his lady. It also follows the notoriety of the story, once the worldwide press got hold of it. Contains graphic images of medical surgery, and other strong adult material. Strong language also. (Channel 4)

Late-Night Wednesday 1st February
FILM: Theatre Of Blood (18) – Midnight-1:50am
Brilliant Vincent Price / Hammer Horror movie about the killing of London theatre critics. Each critic is killed-off in hideous parodies of Shakespeare plays, leading to a baffled local police force. The only potential suspect, is a lame actor. There’s just one problem: that actor committed suicide several years prior to the murders starting up. Contains some bad language, and plenty of gore and violence. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (BBC1)

Late-Night Thursday 2nd
FILM: Shopping (15) – 1:10-2:45am
Jude Law and Sadie Frost star as two young adults, who prowl London’s seedier parts in search of cars to steal and joyride in. At the time of its release – 1993 – the film was on the verge of being banned by the BBFC, because it was considered to glorify the whole joyriding issue, which was in the news on a regular basis. However, thankfully, the film was given an uncut 18 certificate instead. This didn’t stop the British Press from making a huge issue about the demise of civilisation as we know it, and that the film was a DIY guide to all car criminals. In fact, the film (just like “Trainspotting”) is far from glamorous. It shows that Joyriders are far from a nice bunch of people, and that the consequences can be far worse than people realise. (The ending of the movie makes this brutally transparent to everyone!) Whilst not the best British movie by any standards, taken as a slice-of-life movie-making that was relevant to the time, it made its point pretty well. See for yourself, what the fuss was all about. A great soundtrack to boot! :) When re-released onto DVD last year, the BBFC left the film uncut, and reduced the certificate to a 15, as it was seen as irrelevant to a modern-day audience. Contains some strong language, and some violence. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (Channel 4)

Friday 3rd
NEW: The IT Crowd – 9:00-10:00pm
First two episodes of a new British sitcom, from the creator’s of “Father Ted”, about a group of IT staff members. Even though it’s not started yet, the show has come under fire, for being les than funny, and for portraying all IT people as deficient, in terms of looks, dress-sense, and social skills. Whether this is true or not, I can’t say, but I can’t see this being a big-hit in the UK – at least not from the promotional trailers C4 have been airing so far. Contains some strong language. (Channel 4)

The 50 Most Shocking Moments Ever – 9:00pm-12:05am
Well, this is a nice alternative, to the usual kind of countdown charts that we get thrown at us. :) Tonight, this show deals with the 50 most controversial, hard-hitting and brutally funny comedy sketches, clips and monologues ever to be performed, on TV, cinema and in stand-up. From the racist ramblings of Alf Garnett, through to the sexual shenanigans of Monty Python, via Richard Pryor, Dennis Leary, and Bill Hicks, the chart examines what makes us laugh at material we know we shouldn’t, and where we draw the line between hilarious bad-taste, and outright offensiveness. It also looks at taboos in comedy, “blue” comedians like Roy Chubby Brown, Bernard Manning, and Jim Davidson and how material that most people would frown upon, still packs theatres and clubs all over the UK, even in the Politically Correct age of the 21st Century. The countdown also includes a sketch from TV series “Little Britain” that the BBC has banned outright, and has refused to air (even in a censored version), because it is deemed to be so offensive! As you should expect, the show will contain very strong language, material of a sexual and prejudicial nature, and there will also likely be scenes that viewers will find offensive. (Five)

NEW: The Inside – 9:00-10:00pm
The second episode in another new US crime drama show, that started last-week, when ITV4 decided to bring the show forward a week, and hence, I didn’t know about it, until 30-seconds before it aired! Peter Coyote stars as the head of an elite FBI team, who deal with Vicious Crimes. Even though it parallels “Law And Order: Special Victims Unit”, “Killer Instinct” and many other similar shows, it’s the ferocity of the stories that make it work so well. Plus, the fact that the good guys are so rich in detail and characterisation, that you’re never sure whether they are quite as clean-cut as we are led to believe. Adam Baldwin (Jayne in TV series “Firefly”) also stars. In some ways, it’s more closely related to the hit movie “Se7en”! Contains some strong scenes of violence. Alas, the show has already been cancelled in the USA, but we will get to see all 13 episodes that were made, even though the USA only got to see the first seven! :clap: (ITV4)

FILM: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (18) – 11:40pm-1:15am
The 1974 horror movie classic, that remained banned in the UK until 2003! A small group of teenagers are stranded in the middle of nowhere, when their van runs out of fuel. When they walk to a local gas station, they meet-up with some very strange local inhabitants, who are less than friendly. One of the most disturbing movies, and moreso, because – despite Media and Press reports – there’s almost no gore in the entire film! What you think you see, you don’t – it’s just your mind playing tricks on you, and giving you the impression that you are watching a really, sick little movie! This is probably why, it’s so damn good! Watch this film, and discover why its reputation proceeds it! :devil: Contains violence, and some occasional bad language. Showing uncut and in Widescreen. (Channel 4)

And so, another update comes to an end. However, we are not quite yet finished. The following shows are also due to start over the next month or so, and may be worth investigating. More details, as and when I get them.

CSI: Miami – Season 4 (Likely to air from June 2006 on Five)

CSI: New York – Season 2 (Five, from next Tuesday night at 10pm)

Law And Order: Criminal Intent – Season 3 (Five, from Saturday 4th February)

Miracles – Season 1 (See this week’s update!)

24: Day 5 – (Sunday 5th February at 9:00pm)

One Tree Hill – Season 2 (From February 2006 on E4 and later in the year on Channel 4)

Playmakers – (Repeat of Season 1 of the controversial American Football drama, on FX.)

First Monday – (New and controversial US drama about a man who flees across the US-Mexican border, to undergo surgery to turn himself into a woman, and escape capture. Starts in February, in a late-night slot on Sky 1)

V – A repeat of the original 1983/84 mini-series. Includes the original two-part movie, and the follow-up three-part saga, entitled “The Final Story”. (Sci-Fi Channel, in February.)

Largo – New US drama series. (Sky 1, late-night timeslot, in mid-February. No further details.)

The Visitor - (Repeat of Season 1 on the Sci-Fi Channel)

John Doe - (Season 1 repeat, again on the Sci-Fi Channel)

Carnivale – (Seasons 1 and 2 repeats, late-night on FX!)

Babylon 5: The Movies – (All 6 B5 movies, including the Pilot Movie, and the new “Rangers” film, showing in March 2006, on the Sci-Fi Channel.)

As you can see, there’s still plenty to come, over the next couple of months! In all honesty, I’d have to say, this is getting a bit mad now! I’m recording more than I can honestly keep-up with each week, and that includes both old and new shows! Maybe, when I’m 78 years old, I’ll finally get to watch some of this stuff, and reminisce about the “good-old days”! :D

Take care, folks, and see you next week!

Pooch

Starburst

Novice Member
Thanks for the listings Pooch, useful as ever:)

Miracles has already been on LivingTV assuming it isn't another show by the same name of course:confused:

Anyhow the one I am thinking of was a supernatural/religious genre based show exploring (in the X-files manner) incidents and people that hint at miraculous or just plain weird events by a group of investigators with different backgrounds.

Not a huge hit and got canned pretty quickly but an entertaining half seasons worth of telly.

Re-watching The Inside as well, it'll be good to see the unaired episodes:)

Looks like no one can view the HD channels in hi-def, as the boxes aren't out for a while yet.

Or is there something you know that you can't mention on here?;)

Barbara2001

Looking at the brief descriptions in digiguide, Largo seems to be Largo Winch. Sky have never shown the whole of season 2. I will be keeping an eye on the schedules in case they do so this time.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Folks,

Apologies for not doing an update this week. :( I did start one, and then never got around to completing it. Sorry. :eek:

Just one quick note: there's a new (13-episode) US legal drama starting tonight on Sky 1, called "First Monday". I don't have any details on if it's any good or not, but it does star Joe Mantegna, James Garner, and Charles Durning.

The show airs most weekday mornings, aound 3:30am, starting tonight, with the extended-length Pilot Episode (3:30-4:45am).

More details of the show, can be found here!

Pooch

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Good Morning, Folks,

Despite last week’s mistake – whereby I didn’t get around to doing my usual update at all :eek: - I’ve managed to do one for this week, even though it’s relatively short.

As I am gearing-up for lots of essays and exams for my degree, my updates may not be as frequent as usual. So, from today, I will only be posting updates as-and-when I can get to do them. I will still do a big monthly update, but I will then do maybe two or three other extra updates roughly every ten to fourteen days, or whenever I get the chance too. I know I’ve probably said this several times over the past few weeks, but my updates may be rather erratic. However, I will do my best to fit them in whenever possible.

Okay, with that all said and done, let’s get right on to business! :)

Saturday11th February
Hollywood History – Various times, from 7:00am
Today sees several hour-long documentaries that explore certain areas of history, as depicted through movies. Topics covered include World War II, 20th century crime, and many others. (UK TV History)

Alfred Hitchcock – 3:00-5:00pm
A two-part documentary about the life and works of the most famous British crime film-maker of the 20th Century. The man who gave us “Psycho”, “The Birds”, “Vertigo”, “Strangers On A Train”, “Rope”, and many, many more, is investigated in the first hour, and in the second hour, we look at how his films have influenced film history. (UK TV History)

NEW: CSI: New York – 9:00-10:00pm
Due to my own incompetence, I wasn’t able to notify you all that lhe start of Season 2 made its UK premiere last weekend. Here is Episode 2, and things are beginning to heat-up in the Big Apple for one of the main characters! (Five)

NEW: Law And Order: Criminal Intent – 10:00-11:00pm
Again, because of my own error, Season 3 of this second “Law And Order” spin-off show started airing last weekend. (Five)

FILM: Bamboozled (15) – 1:35-3:55am
Spike Lee’s controversial movie about a black man working in the TV industry. When he finds that no one is willing to take his programming ideas seriously, he goes all-out to create the most outrageous, controversial and libellous TV show he can, in order to get himself dismissed from his job. This he does, in a modern-take on “The Black And White Minstrel” show. But, there’s just one problem: his bosses love the show, and so – it seems – do the viewers! Although the film was panned by the critics on its initial release in cinemas, the film has become a low-key hit on video. It’s part satire, and part-vicious irony about the treatment of blacks in the US TV industry. It’s probably because it came too close to the bone, that people attacked it. Make up yor own minds, as the film gets its UK terrestrial premiere. Contains very strong language, and material of a racial and sexual nature that some viewers may find offensive. (Channel 4)

Sunday 12th
NEW: “V” – 4:10-6:10pm
The start of a complete rerun of the superb 1984 sci-fi mini-series that managed to get around 10 million viewers in the UK on ITV, where it beat interest in the Olympics coverage. This is Part 1 of the original movie. Part 2 follows next week, and then the three-part “V: The Final Battle” mini-series follows. Each episode is approximately 90-minutes, excluding adverts! Although it’s aged quite badly, it’s still one of the best science-fiction shows ever created, and the story is still powerful enough to resonate to modern society to this very day. Enjoy the series, and then wait until 2007, when an all-new mini-series is due to air! :clap: (Sci-Fi Channel)

NEW: 24: Day 5 – 9:00-11:00pm
Jack Bauer returns! It’s the start of another day in the life of the one-man saviour, and this time things really get pushed to the limit. I won’t ruin it for those who haven’t seen Day 4, except to say, that this new Season starts off, exactly from the end of Day 4. The first two hours, are repeated on both Sky 1 and Sky 2, later this week. (Sky 1)

The Jasper Carrott Show – 11:00-11:30pm
A late-night repeat of the rarely seen 1975 series, originally shown on ITV, at the start of the Birmingham funny-man’s long-running career. Even now, his jokes still manage to stand the test of time, and this is a great way to end Sunday nights on. (ITV3)

Is She Really Going Out With Him? – 11:05pm-12:05am
One-off documentary exploring the concept of beauty in the media. Why is it that seemingly “unattractive” men are frequently seen dating “stereotypically attractive” women? What is it, that these media stars, see in one another, that the public often doesn’t? And just how do these couples really get-on? Are there relationships as great as they make out> And what does this say, about the rest of society’s chances of finding real love? (Five)

Monday 13th
FILM: Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? (18) – 11:00pm-1:15am
One of the most eerie and brutally nasty psychological thrillers ever committed to film. Two of Hollywood’s most famous and award-winning actresses - Bette Davis and Joan Crawford - were notorious for being the absolute worst of enemies. Both women took every chance they could, to denigrate the other, in the US media, throughout the 1940’s, 50’s and 60’s. In 1962, director Robert Aldrich was given a script about two sisters who try every method in the book, to psychologically torture one another, to see who will break first! He chose Davis and Crawford! What makes the film so difficult and unbearable to watch, is that you are never quite sure if the leads are just acting in their roles, or actually trying to out-do one another for real, using the script and their characters as an on-screen facade. Absolutely superb, and a spell-binding psychological horror movie, from start to finish. …And it will give you a whole new outlook on sibling rivalry! Showing uncut and in Widescreen. Highly recommended! Contains some strong psychological violence, and occasional distressing scenes. Black-and-white. (TCM – Turner Classic Movies)

Tuesday 14th – Valentine’s Day
FILM: Animal Farm (PG) – 10:40am-Noon
Dark and rather controversial animated feature based on the classic novel, about the differences between man and beast. Part historical allegory, part satire on society, this is a chilling insight into how truly evil we humans can be. Despite the early-morning timeslot, this film isn’t really suitable for younger audience members. Showing uncut. (Channel 4)

NEW: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation – 9:00-10:00pm
Another show, that started last week. We’re now on Season 6, and the forensic teams are back working as one. Join Gil Grissom, Catherine Willows, Warrick, Sara, Nick, Greg and Brass, as they work together on a single case. This is Episode 2, and although there’s some brilliant slices of humour in it, there’s also the nastiest autopsy scene they’ve ever done in all the episodes they’ve made! So be prepared for some graphic and gory sequences, that may make your stomach churn! ;) Showing uncut. (Five)

Jackanory Night – 9:00-11:00pm
If you’re not at least 25 years old, this show is unlikely to mean anything. For those of us growing-up between the mid-1960’s through to the late-1980’s, this was one of the more influential children’s TV shows the BBC ever made, that our parents actually approved of us watching. (Unlike “Grange Hill” for example! :D ) See the history of the show, go behind-the-scenes and see how filming was done, enjoy some of the outrageous out-takes (when things went wrong), and relive some of the best story-tellers with their own unique interpretations from the world of classic children’s literature. Bernard Cribbins, Nerys Hughes, Rik Mayall, and Dawn French are on-hand, to help us relive the memories. Now, shall we begin?! (BBC4)

Wednesday 15th
The Outer Limits – 2:00-3:00pm
This 1990’s remake of the classic sci-fi/supernatural thriller anthology show, lasted several years, and had many guest stars and special directors from the world of TV and film working on it. This particular episode, (from Season 1), is still one of the best. Directed by Adam Nimoy – Leonard “Mr Spock” Nimoy’s real-life son - (and a remake of a 1960’s episode in itself) - “I, Robot” tells the story of a scientist with a robotic helper. When the scientist dies, it’s down to his wife to sort out what should happen to the robot. Should it be scrapped, or is it worth saving? The dilemma, is that the robot appears to have feelings, just as a human would. Thus, the problem becomes whether or not the robot should be given the same rights as a human. An excellent episode, with a well-told and heart-wrenching moral about technology and mankind’s use/abuse of it. (Sci-Fi Channel)

NEW: The Poseidon Adventure – 9:00-10:00pm
Part 1 of a new 4-part mini-series, with Peter “RoboCop” Weller in the lead role. Based on the famous 1970’s disaster movie. Showing in four, weekly episodes. (Sky 1)

Once And Again – 9:00-10:00pm
The start of a repeat run of Season 2 of this enjoyable, but short-lived romantic drama, about two divorcees who find love with one another. Sela Ward and Bill Campbell star as the young couple trying to live life, whilst supporting their children on their own. Hopefully, Season 3 will follow soon. (ABC1)

NEW: Largo – 3:55-4:45am
Late-night run for a new US mystery drama. For some reason the show has been retitled from “Largo Winch” to simply “Largo”. Quite why this is, I can’t say. Anyway, tonight is the first of the two-part Pilot Episode called “The Heir”. This could be good, or a complete load of junk. (Sky 1)

Thursday 16th
Inside The Actor’s Studio: James Gandolfini – 7:00-8:00pm
An in-depth interview from last-year, with Tony Soprano himself, actor James Gandolfini. (Performance Channel)

Friday 17th
Monkey – 6:00-7:00pm
This show actually started last-night (Feb 10th), but I’ve only just discovered it in the listings. This is the classic adventure series, from Japan, that was memorably dubbed into English by Nadim Sawalha, Miriam Margoyles and many others. The mixture of action, adventure, and mediocre special-effects, as well as the risqué nature of the script, will be well-remembered by anyone in their late-twenties and early-thirties. Now see the original 39 episode show again. Tonight is episode two. I should point out, that the newly-released (in 2004) episodes that were not released with the original 39, are NOT being included. Alas, you’ll have to buy the UK DVD’s to see them. (ITV4)

FILM: The Testament Of Dr Mabuse (PG) – 10:00pm-Midnight
See this enjoyably dark and moody chiller, from German director Fritz Lang (of “Metropolis”, and “M” fame). Contains some mild violence. Showing uncut, and with English Subtitles. (Artsworld Channel)

Well, there’s te end of another update for you all., It’s 1am, and I’m absolutely knackered, so off-to-bed for me. See you all again soon! :)

Pooch

Garrett

PoochJD said:
Wednesday 15th
The Outer Limits – 2:00-3:00pm
This 1990's remake of the classic sci-fi/supernatural thriller anthology show, lasted several years, and had many guest stars and special directors from the world of TV and film working on it. This particular episode, (from Season 1), is still one of the best. Directed by Adam Nimoy – Leonard “Mr Spock” Nimoy's real-life son - (and a remake of a 1960's episode in itself) - “I, Robot” tells the story of a scientist with a robotic helper. When the scientist dies, it's down to his wife to sort out what should happen to the robot. Should it be scrapped, or is it worth saving? The dilemma, is that the robot appears to have feelings, just as a human would. Thus, the problem becomes whether or not the robot should be given the same rights as a human. An excellent episode, with a well-told and heart-wrenching moral about technology and mankind's use/abuse of it. (Sci-Fi Channel)Pooch

I once picked a copy of some mag years ago with black and white horror story's in it, Creepy???????????, but one was a serialization of the Adam Link story. But it was the only one I ever got but fortunately Woolworth's use to buy American novels and sell them cheap and I was lucky to pick the book of the full Adam Link story by Eando Binder. It is also some times called I Robot but not the same as Isaac Asimov one.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Just a short additional update for you all.

1) The US medical drama series "Grey's Anatomy" is due to start airing in March 2006, on Five! :clap:

2) If you have any interest in Japanese animation or comic books, then can I please recommend that you watch "The South Bank Show" on Sunday 19th Feb, at 11:10pm. The episode "Manga Mania" is going to explore the (relatively) recent surge of interest in this artform, within the UK. A historical perspective will be given, as well as ilustrating why it's such a popular piece of modern culture. There will also be a properly-discussed piece about the whole issue in sex and violence, and why in Japan this is quite normal, yet in the West it's seen as being such a major issue that censors and moralists get their knickers in a twist over!

3) Fans of "The West Wing" on More4 will be pleased to hear, that as soon as Season 6 ends, More4 will continue straight into the all-new-to-the-UK and final season, Season 7. :clap: It's just a shame terrestrial WW fans still haven't been able to see Season 5 yet! :rolleyes:

Pooch

lovemunkey187

PoochJD said:
1) The US medical drama series "Grey's Anatomy" is due to start airing in March 2006, on Five! :clap:

Is this the first season that finished on Living a month or two back or is it the secon season?

If it's the first then I hope it's not long until the second season is on.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi LoveMonkey,

It's Season 1 that Five will be airing. However, they will be airing the full 13-episodes that were originally made. In the USA, some of the Season 1 episodes were held-over, and incorporated into the beginning of Season 2.

Pooch

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Another update for you folks:

THIRD WATCH
Third Watch fans will be pleased to hear that I've had official confirmation from FX that they DO have the rights to Seasons 4, 5 and 6 of this excellent show. :clap: The only issue, is that they are not allowed to start broadcasting these, until early-2007 at the earliest. :thumbsdow This is probably to do with the contract that Channel 4 have doesn't run out until the end of this year.

Until then, FX will complete their current run of Season 2, go straight into Season 3, and then start another complete run of the first three seasons in March 2006. Once that run has been completed, they will give the series one more run-thorough of all three seasons, before giving the show a rest for a bit.

HOUSE MD
For anyone who's not discovered the wicked delights of this excellent US medical show, Hallmark are starting a complete Season 1 run-though, every Sunday night at 9pm, from 19th March 2006. They will then - more than likely - go on, and do a run of Season 2. Fans of the show, can see Season 2 already, on Five every Thursday night at 10pm!

SKY
Lastly, those of you with Sky Digital, should start to be getting the new Software EPG Upgrade. If you haven't already had it, then expect it to occur by the end of this month. :) I had mine completed last night, and I have one of the new Amstrad Sky digiboxes, with the unearthly blue Sky logo on the front of it. The new upgrade appears to be bug-free, far more stable, and faster than the previous upgrade. Other than minor cosmetic issues, and the fact that you now have to access your Personal Planner by pressing the Green button, it's nothing overly special. If anything, it now makes it easier for kids to locate all the dodgy adult channels! :eek: Also, the PIN problem seems to have been rectifed. :clap:

One minor word of warning though: if you have set stuff to record overnight, and the new software upgrade is sent to your digibox on that same night, it will more than likely cancel your recordings! I found this out today, after Episode 1 of the two-part Pilot Movie of "Largo (Winch)" failed to record. All I got was a black screen for 60 minutes on my recording! :rolleyes: Oh well.... thank goodness it wasn't something more important!

Pooch

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've just discovered the best "Third Watch" news to date!

FX have also bought the rights to air the special two-part episode that fits between the end of Season 2 and the start of Season 3, entitled "In Their Own Words" (which was about the events of 9/11 in the USA). :clap:

FX will air Part 1 on Thursday 2nd March, with Part 2, on Friday 3rd March. As always, the uncut version of this special will air at about 11pm, with the 1pm and 8pm being partly cut (depending on content)!

This is superb news, and I can't wait to see these two episodes, as they've never been shown anywhere in the world, outside of the USA. :)

Pooch
(Currently jumping for joy!)

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
3) Fans of "The West Wing" on More4 will be pleased to hear, that as soon as Season 6 ends, More4 will continue straight into the all-new-to-the-UK and final season, Season 7. It's just a shame terrestrial WW fans still haven't been able to see Season 5 yet!

Any idear of a Start date for season 7 pooch? I have not been watching season 6 on more 4 becasue I alreday have the DVD box set. I dont know how far they are actually in to the 6th season at the moment.:)

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Dave-S said:
Any idear of a Start date for season 7 pooch? I have not been watching season 6 on more 4 becasue I alreday have the DVD box set. I dont know how far they are actually in to the 6th season at the moment.:)

Actually I ahve just done a little checking myself.

There are only 3 eps left of season 6 to show on more4 including this fridays one.

so in just a couple of weeks time, the seventh season should be starting:smashin:

count zero

PoochJD said:
Hi,

SKY
Lastly, those of you with Sky Digital, should start to be getting the new Software EPG Upgrade. If you haven't already had it, then expect it to occur by the end of this month. :) I had mine completed last night, and I have one of the new Amstrad Sky digiboxes, with the unearthly blue Sky logo on the front of it. The new upgrade appears to be bug-free, far more stable, and faster than the previous upgrade. Other than minor cosmetic issues, and the fact that you now have to access your Personal Planner by pressing the Green button, it's nothing overly special. If anything, it now makes it easier for kids to locate all the dodgy adult channels! :eek: Also, the PIN problem seems to have been rectifed. :clap:

One minor word of warning though: if you have set stuff to record overnight, and the new software upgrade is sent to your digibox on that same night, it will more than likely cancel your recordings! I found this out today, after Episode 1 of the two-part Pilot Movie of "Largo (Winch)" failed to record. All I got was a black screen for 60 minutes on my recording! :rolleyes: Oh well.... thank goodness it wasn't something more important!

Pooch

Also the Blue button now takes you to a Favourites version of the EPG, which is pretty useful.:) Only two screens to look through instead of god knows how many.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Just wanted to offer a quick apology for the lack of recent updates. I've just been very busy trying to complete a couple of 3000 word essays for my Law Degree. :(

However, I will do my best to get the "New TV Viewing For March 2006" thread up as soon as possible, though it may be a bit later than normal. Sorry folks for the delay. Hope you'll bear with me for the moment, until normal service resumes. ;)

Pooch

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Just noticed that "The Flipside Of Dominick Hide", the early 80s time travel comedy drama is on BBC4 at 9PM tonight. It hasn't been shown on TV for around 20 years and was recently released on DVD.

Battle

Looks like FX are repeating Carnivale right from the begining again (which is great as i missed the entire first series and i didnt want to start with the second series as ive heard its very confusing if you miss any episodes)

Starts on Tuesday 28.2.06 at midnight or 02.00 hrs wednesday morning on FX+

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar