1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Viewing For February 2005!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 20, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

Three new shows, to start this thread off with, and then in a week or so, I'll do my usual "giant" list of what to look out for.

"Lost" - JJ Abrams, creator of the spy drama "Alias", has got a new futuristic drama/thriller for us, about a plane-load of people who crash land on a secluded island. Season 1 has 13 episodes in it, and will start on E4, before appearing one week later (sans DOG's, I might add ;) ) on Channel 4. All showings should be uncut, and in widescreen.

"Huff" - a new dramatic comedy show, from HBO, starts on FX289 on February 6th at 9pm. Starring Hank Azaria in the lead role, as a deluded and hapless psychiatrist, who finds his life turning for the worse. Acidic, biting satire, and guaranteed to be a big hit over here in the UK, this is really worth watching! You may know Hank's name, albeit not his face, as he does tons of voices for "The Simpsons", including Apu, and Moe! Season 1 has 13 episodes, and we are getting to see it just one week after its conclusion in the USA!

"Nip/Tuck" - Season 2 of the grotesque, but dark satire on plastic surgery, starts on Sky 1, also on Sunday 6th February, at 10pm. If you remember from the finale, Sean and Christian, had just managed to save their lives, their families lives, and their practice by planting the face of a wanted FBI criminal onto the vicious psychopathic man who was blackmailing them both, by forcing them both to operate on young women being brought illegally into the US, with their "breast implants" filled with drugs! How will these two get back on their feet? How will Christian cope with fatherhood? And what will happen if Sean ever finds out that Christian's still in love with Julia? Another 13 episodes of blood-soaked drama arrives on our screens, fresh from the USA!

More information in this thread, as and when. :) Please will the Mods make this thread a STICKY ASAP? Thanks.

Pooch

2. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So much good T.V. around at the moment :smashin:

Now all I need is 2 more Sky+ boxes + the mirror subs :rolleyes: it's going to cost. Why can't These T.V. big wigs spread all these great shows over the year :confused: From the end of May till January not much is on I'm sure :rolleyes:

Pooch Your the man keep up the good work. I would miss a lot of the shows if you did not inform us of what is coming up :smashin: 10/10 :thumbsup:

3. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't - I have episode 14 waiting to be watched and see here

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Thanks for the correction, PearlJam. I was under the impression that Season 1 wasn't getting a longer run than 13 episodes. Anyway, cheers! :)

Pooch

5. JIimmy

JIimmy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lost has a full order of 22 episodes according to TV Tome here

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    This was in another thread Pooch, but the new programme just starting on E4, Point Pleasant, is it any good? Is it another show that's already been cancelled?

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Update: "Lost" has now been dropped until Summer 2005. Why, I don't know, but you can always try seeing if Channel 4 will reply to an e-mail from you... though I doubt it, going on their track record! :laugh:

Greg - Point Pleasant could be great, or it could be a complete pile of pants. Having not seen anything other than the E4/C4 trailer for it, I can't really comment. I can only, thus, suggest that you give the first two or three episodes a try, and see if it appeals to your tastes. Bear in mind, that like Sky 1's "Hex", it is similar to "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", so if you hated that show (or "Hex"), then you are unlikely to enjoy PP.

Sorry, I can't be more help than that. :)

Pooch

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    Thanks Pooch, as a huge Buffy fan I will give it a go. Although hopefully it will be better than Hex!

9. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Just read about the delay in the new issue of SFX - really pee'd off about this, I'm a big ALIAS fan and I was really looking forward to this show. Now I have to wait 'til July?! :mad:

I suppose the one positive thing that may happen is the R1 DVD set may be released by then and if so I'll just buy that and watch it a few episodes at a time - often a better, more enjoyable way of viewing a new series anyway.

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hoping that Point Pleasant is better than Hex.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Those of you waiting for my usual big monthly update, I'm afraid there isn't one for February 2005. :( The simple reason being, there's almost nothing to recommend on most of the Sky or terrestrial TV channels! :eek: Yikes, what is the world coming too?! ;)

The few shows that I can recommend, are:

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Season 5) - Five will start this, from Tuesday 1st, at 9pm.

CSI: New York (Season 1) - Five airs this from Saturday 5th, at 9:05pm

Huff (Season 1) - FX289 starts this, from Sunday 6th at 9pm.

Nip/Tuck (Season 2) - Sky 1 starts the second season of this superbly dark medical drama from Sunday 6th at 10pm. Sky haven't confirmed if they will be able to air the widescreen versions yet, but here's hoping they can, as the show benefits from it (in my opinion)!

24 (Season 4) - Sky 1 starts with the 2-hour Pilot Epiosde (7am-9am) on Sunday 30th JAN, at 9pm! For Freeview viewers, you can also see the show for this week only, free-of-charge on Sky Travel (or Sky Travel+1) on Sunday night as well! However, all remaining episodes will NOT be shown, except on Sky 1 or Sky Mix!

Crusade - This 13-episode "Babylon 5" spin-off, is being repeated on the Sci-Fi Channel, from Wednesday 2nd. Despite not getting critical acclaim, the show is still enjoyable. Just don't try comparing it to the highs of "B5", otherwise you will be disappointed. (My favourite episode, comes later in the series when the character of Galen meets up with an off-world mage. Galen is played by Peter Woodward. The off-world mage is played by Peter's real-life father, Edward Woodward, of "The Equalizer" and "Callen" fame! Superb verbal sparring ensues! ;) )

If anyone knows of any other new shows worth watching, or has any updates, then please PM me, or post in this thread! Thanks for reading, and apologies for the lack of new stuff to tell you all about! This has to be the worst month for new shows, I've ever had to report on! :eek:

Pooch

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Another new show, that might be worth watching, is "Miss Match" on LivingTV. It stars Alicia Silverstone as a divorce attorney who has an uncanny ability to pair-up her clients for romantic liasons. It sounds bizzrre, but it got reasonable reviews in the USA.

Having said that, the show's been dropped now. 18 episodes were made, but only half of those got aired State-side. In the UK, we're getting all 18, with the final 9 as World Premieres! :)

An episode guide is available here!

Pooch

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    Miss Match has already been shown on Living. About 6(?) months ago I think.

It was OK, nothing special.

The only up side being able to watch the gorgeous Alicia Silverstone, in some pretty small outfits, and also the episodes with Charisma Carpenter in were not bad too!

Not that I watched it just for those two though! :devil:

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Thanks, Greg, for that clarification. Here's some more new show info, for all of you!

Dead Like Me (Season 2) - 15th March at 9pm on Sky 1

Medical Investigation – On the UK Sci-Fi Channel, in April 2005

CSI:Miami (Season 3) - Summer 2005, on Five

Lost (Season 1) – Summer 2005, on E4, then C4

One Tree Hill (Season 2) – Summer 2005 on E4, then C4

Medium (Season 1) – June 2005, on UK Sci-Fi Channel

Life As We Know It - 17th February on Living TV, at 9pm

:)

Pooch

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    One question Pooch please!

Regarding CSI Miami, happened to be flicking through channels and saw an advert on Living for 'All new CSI Miami'.

Would this be the series previously shown on Five?

Thanks
    Greg

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Greg,

Yep! Living will be showing "new" "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (Season 4) and "new" "CSI: Miami" (Season 2). Both have been shown on Five.

Basically, Five got the rights first, for the UK, followed about 8 months or so later, by LivingTV for satellite viewers, who want to watch the show in the wrong aspect ratio, and covered with DOG's etc! :devil:

Pooch

17. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for mentioning a homegrown programme, but Nathan Barley starts on Friday 11th on Channel 4. "What's Nathan Barley?" Chris Morris's first show for five years, that's bloody what.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Have to say that "Nathan Barley" looks utter :censored: from the promos currently airing on Channel 4! This could mean one of two things: it's either going to be total crap, or else a complete work of genius. And seeing as I don't think Chris Morris is that good, clever or funny in the first place, my personal opinion is that it's going to be crap!

Pooch

19. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case don't watch it. I mentioned it for those who would be interested.

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Evening Folks,

Another update for you: The Sci-Fi Channel is going to be airing a new science-fiction/medical thriller series, starting on Monday 7th Feb at 8pm. The show's called "Medical Investigation" and follows a team of scientists and police/detectives who have to try and stop people from being deliberately infected by contagions and other viral nasties. :eek:

The show has Neal McDonough (Boomtown) and Kelli Williams (The Practice) in the two main roles, and one of the later episodes of this show, forms part two of a two-part story, that crosses over with "Third Watch" Season 6, Episode 16 "In The Family Way" - which is part one of the story! :smashin:

The show's had good feedback from viewers and critics in the US, and looks to go for at least one full 22-episode season!

Should be worth a look! :)

Pooch

21. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Everyone,

More new TV updates for you all! :)

Saturday 26th Feb on ITV3 sees a repeat run of "Hammer House Of Horror", the classic 1980's horror anthology series, from Hammer Films! It looks like they're airing the show every Saturday night, for one hour, starting with Season 1. See here for an episode guide. Transmission details may change, so please keep this in mind! :)

"The District" Season 3 - which has never been seen in the UK before, starts on the Hallmark Channel, from Midday on 22nd February. Each episode will be shown at 12 Noon, and then again at 8pm, the same day, every day of the week! :) (Season 2 can be seen daily, at the moment, or if you want to, it can also be seen weekly on ITV1 from late-night on the 16th February, sans DOG's!)

Pooch

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I though some of the series was hit and miss although some were very good. An episode guide here but it gives a lot of the plot away

Lets hope the follow on with the Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense although I think they brought a number of American actors in to sell it over the pond. An episode guide here,

23. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    Does anyone know what's going on with Stargate and Atlantis. According to the Sky planner SG-1 is on for 90mins and Atlantis isn't on at all. Any ideas?

24. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Greg,

"Stargate SG-1" is on for 90 minutes, on Tuesday 8th Feb, from 8:30-10pm. This is because the episode that is being shown (Season 8, Episode 18 - Threads) is a special episode. According to TV Tome:- "Two versions of this episode were made. One, for hopefully eventual use on the US Sci-Fi Channel and the DVD's, is 90 minutes in length; the other, for syndication purposes, is only 45 minutes in length, like any other normal episode of the show. The 90 minute version of this episode shall be shown on both the Sci-Fi Channel in the USA and Sky One for the UK." :lesson:

Why two different versions were made, I don't know. The episode doesn't appear to be particularly significant (e.g. no deaths of major characters; no new characters being introduced; this isn't a landmark episode, e.g. the 100th or 200th, or the end or start of a new season). Maybe someone who is more of an "SG1" fan, than myself, can provide that answer?

As for "Stargate: Atlantis", the series will continue, from where it left-off, on Tuesday 15th Feb at 9pm, as per usual.

I hope that helps. :)

Pooch

25. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,076
    Thanks for the answer Pooch. Knew I could rely on you!

26. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Greg,

No probs! Glad I can be of help! :)

Pooch

27. smirf

smirf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there is a start date for the new series of Alias?

I saw a billboard for it in NY last week, but not heard a thing over here

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Smurf,

Alias: Season 4 may start on Bravo in the UK, as soon as April 2005. However, this has not been officially confirmed. It's unlikely that Five will bother with Season 4, simply because the ratings don't justify it. (Since C4 ruined the show, by airing a heavily censored Season 1, Alias has been a nightmare for terrestrial TV. Five tried to get US TV fans interested in the show, but unless you've seen the show from the beginning, it simply can't be followed with any great ease. Five tried putting the show on at prime-time, and the ratings fell and fell. They finished Season 2 off, in a late-night slot, and have only just started uncut Season 3, but again, in a really horrible timeslot.)

Just as Channel 4 ruined "Angel", so they ruined "Alias". Both shows, really need to be followed right from the start, but because of C4, any attempt at good viewing figures were killed off because of censorship!

Fans who've seen the shows uncut on satellite, won't watch butchered versions on terrestrial, and a lot of new fans will not watch a new show, if it's been edited. Why should they?

So, ultimately, blame Channel 4 for this mess! (And your lack of "Alias" on terrestrial TV!) Sorry.

Pooch

29. smirf

smirf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply!

I am not a big watcher of Bravo, so I missed the start of the last series as not aware it had started. I ended up buying the DVDs instead.

I hope that they put better advertising for it this time so that I can get it set up! (do bravo support series link?)

just thinking of Jennifer G warms the blood :)

30. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll second that :D

Have you seen the pictures in March's GQ Mag? :smashin:

Damo :)