New TV - up to 50inch

thomasw88

Novice Member
First time poster here so please be gentle.

Looking for a new TV for our living room. Max size is 50inch, it'll be in the corner on a stand.
We currently connect Sky Q box, Roku stick, Laptop (HDMI), blue ray player. Our current TV is a 2014 Sony KDL-42W705B which we have liked.

I tend to connect the TV to my hifi (2 front speakers and subwoofer) so sound is not particularly important.

Max budget is around £900 although cheaper ie around £600-700 preferred. I'm not overly bothered about apps on the TV, more important is something that's going to be best bang for buck picture wise and we'll be looking to keep it for a good few years so something that will age well and be reliable. The wife/kids are terrible for turning off the TV properly so something that doesn't screen burn methinks!

I'm angling towards the Sony KD49XH9505 but interested in any other recommendations.

Dodgexander

The TV you picked out is the only one really that offers the best future proofing and all round quality. It doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but has some HDMI 2.1 features like eARC. HDMI 2.1 is of questionable worth to non-gamers anyway, but if you want it to be fully future proof you need to go up to a 55" Samsung LCD TV instead like the Q90T.

thomasw88

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

50Inch is as big as we can get so it looks like the Sony KD49XH9505 is going to be the way to go. It's not going to be used for gaming really so HDMI 2.1 isn't essential for us.

What would be the second (cheaper) choice?

vickster

Distinguished Member
There’s a guide here of good and less good buys

Dodgexander

What would be the second (cheaper) choice?
The guide has TVs in all categories, but given HDR is so important nowadays for future proofing there's really not much alternatives unless you want to treat the TV for SDR use only.

Johnpilky

Novice Member
The guide has TVs in all categories, but given HDR is so important nowadays for future proofing there's really not much alternatives unless you want to treat the TV for SDR use only.
Hi,am looking at purchasing 49xh 9505 when it eventually comes down in price.have seen the 55 in the shop and picture looks great.how much difference in picture quality does the 55 have over the 49 as I have not seen the 49 in the shop,and would the 49 be a good buy at £800/£850,regards.

Dodgexander

Hi,am looking at purchasing 49xh 9505 when it eventually comes down in price.have seen the 55 in the shop and picture looks great.how much difference in picture quality does the 55 have over the 49 as I have not seen the 49 in the shop,and would the 49 be a good buy at £800/£850,regards.
It's the best LCD TV you can buy at less than 55". It has similar picture quality to the 55" version, the main difference is the smaller TV lacks the wide viewing angle filter that the larger sizes have. This means viewing angles are tight and the TV should only be viewed head on.

Johnpilky

Novice Member
It's the best LCD TV you can buy at less than 55". It has similar picture quality to the 55" version, the main difference is the smaller TV lacks the wide viewing angle filter that the larger sizes have. This means viewing angles are tight and the TV should only be viewed head on.
Many thanks for the information,regards

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
It's the best LCD TV you can buy at or less than 55". It has similar picture quality to the 55" version, the main difference is the smaller TV lacks the wide viewing angle filter that the larger sizes have. This means viewing angles are tight and the TV should only be viewed head on.
One visual representation on the Sony 49XH9505 users thread and other users comments lead me to believe viewing angles may not be as big concerned as I imagined on the 49" model as with some with some slight furniture adjustment could be about +/- 25 deg.
However pricing supposedly Jan sales is still not as good as it was not only at black Friday/Cyber Mon but a few weeks before that!

Johnpilky

Novice Member
One visual representation on the Sony 49XH9505 users thread and other users comments lead me to believe viewing angles may not be as big concerned as I imagined on the 49" model as with some with some slight furniture adjustment could be about +/- 25 deg.
However pricing supposedly Jan sales is still not as good as it was not only at black Friday/Cyber Mon but a few weeks before that!
Thanks for that info.will wait a few weeks to see if price moves down👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom