Quantcast

Question New TV to suit my needs

Atheos

Standard Member
My 2009 Samsung LE40b650 has died.

It was a good 1080p TV that served me well, so spent the last week browsing the forum.

A VA panel is desirable

I use a PS4 pro for games and blurays and a Shield TV for Plex (720p/1080p - non HDR content)

I sit about 6 to 8 feet from the TV

So looking for a good set that will last me a good few years and sadly 1080P TVs are very scarce (only none i can find is Sony Bravia KDL43WF663) but it is IPS i think.

still have a 1080p HDMI 1.4 AV receiver so will be using it for at least 18 months more before upgrading

The 55" Q70R seems to be a winner, good upscaling and good for games.

Am i wasting money for my needs and be better off with a cheaper set?

Many thanks to all. This place is a wealth of information

Dodgexander

You need the 55" Samsung Q70R or higher for HDR gaming on the pro, and even more so if you plan on a next gen console too. The LG B9 OLED would be even better if you can afford it and aren't at risk of screen burn.

You will find with an UHD model that the source quality becomes king, so poorer quality content that has to upscaled like 720p or low quality 1080p isn't going to look as good. It's the price you have to pay now though as in every area a HD TV will be a lot poorer in picture quality apart from displaying lower resolution content.

If you want to spend less and it's more important that lower quality content looks better than it is for your PS4 pro, then you could consider Sony's 50" models which are using VA type panels.

Atheos

Standard Member
Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Is the Sony 50" the Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU or a different model?

Thank you for aiding me kind sir!

Atheos

Standard Member
Still shopping around.

From a search on this site it seems that the Sony FHD 2017 40" model is VA also? (SONY BRAVIA KDL40WE663)

thank you folks :)

Atheos

Standard Member
So going to just go 4K i think.

Have it narrowed down to Samsung 55" Q70r or Sony 55" XF9005 as they are both under my 1000 euro budget. (both guaranteed VA Panels)

Been waiting for Richer Sounds (Ireland) to get the Q70r to get it back in stock for delivery but no joy so far.

They have the XF9005 for €980 though

Currys.ie has the Q70r for €949 (5 year warranty)

Obviously the 6 year Richer sounds warranty is very desirable (have never bought a TV from Currys)

Will be using the Shield TV on it so the Android TV experience on the XF9005 will not be used much.

Both have 120hz as far as i can ascertain? Samsung 55" definitely does

I am so undecided. My hunch is to get the Sony as the Customer service/warranty will be better from RS?

Any thoughts to aid me would be very much appreciated

Last edited:
So going to just go 4K i think.

Have it narrowed down to Samsung 55" Q70r or Sony 55" XF9005 as they are both under my 1000 euro budget. (both guaranteed VA Panels)

Been waiting for Richer Sounds (Ireland) to get the Q70r to get it back in stock for delivery but no joy so far.

They have the XF9005 for €980 though

Currys.ie has the Q70r for €949 (5 year warranty)

Obviously the 6 year Richer sounds warranty is very desirable (have never bought a TV from Currys)

Will be using the Shield TV on it so the Android TV experience on the XF9005 will not be used much.

Both have 120hz as far as i can ascertain? Samsung 55" definitely does

I am so undecided. My hunch is to get the Sony as the Customer service/warranty will be better from RS?

Any thoughts to aid me would be very much appreciated
depends on how hard core a gamer you are. I would think the Samsung must be better for that, now and for the future, but the Sony is going to be stronger for general content imho, especially with upscaling and probably motion. I’d certainly rather buy from RS...

Atheos

Standard Member
Thank you thedoswells.

These days i would be more of a general content watcher. Gaming would be 30% maybe.

I'm leaning towards the Sony as the RS warranty is preferable as you say.

Cheers for taking the time to reply :)

Thank you thedoswells.

These days i would be more of a general content watcher. Gaming would be 30% maybe.

I'm leaning towards the Sony as the RS warranty is preferable as you say.

Cheers for taking the time to reply :)
I do think that if you are watching a lot of general content, especially hd, then the Sony will give you a noticeably better experience with its upscaling abilities, especially on a tv that size.
i would think that you’d need to spend a fair bit more to get a stronger package, like an oled for example.
be interested to hear what you decide on in the end.

Atheos

Standard Member
be interested to hear what you decide on in the end.

Richer Sounds had the Sony BRAVIA KD55XG9505 for €1,179 .

Decided to pay the extra €200 over the XF9005 for the better Android OS processor/ motion processor, Pie update with the hope of future support.

Not sure if it was the right choice, but it is done now.

Thank you guys for answering my questions . Appreciate it!

Richer Sounds had the Sony BRAVIA KD55XG9505 for €1,179 .

Decided to pay the extra €200 over the XF9005 for the better Android OS processor/ motion processor, Pie update with the hope of future support.

Not sure if it was the right choice, but it is done now.

Thank you guys for answering my questions . Appreciate it!
imho that’s an excellent choice. I reckon you will be very impressed...

Dodgexander

Yes, that is a good deal, congratz! Good choice.

You get a better picture processor, better peak brightness for more striking HDR, a faster smart TV chip for faster smart TV, eARC support and 4x HDMI 2.0 ports instead of 2x HDMI 1.4 and 2x HDMI 2.0 on the XF9005.

Atheos

Standard Member
Thank you Dodgexander for your Best TV guide, and for your help to aid us all navigate the TV minefield buying world .

It makes the process of finding out if a panel is VA or IPS and their respective strengths, so easy.