Question New TV to replace my Panasonic TX-P42S10B

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Jeffw19, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

wow am i confused, I have been looking for a new tv as my current Panasonic TX-P42S10B has some problem coming on the screen in white areas its starting to get blue colours in the middle and we have some red at the bottom of the screen.

So i have looked at various reviews and am going round in circles..
    you can see in picture [​IMG]we sit in 2 parts of the room in front of the tv about 8 feet away and to the left side about 12 feet away.
    20180816_143328.jpg
    I am thinking of getting a 55inch tv to replace our 42 inch set..is that about correct?
    We have a budget of about £800 or under..
    We watch via sky, we have a play station PS4 and currently everything is connected to a Sony blueray Home cinema system.
    I have seen reviews and comments about you should be looking for 4K HDR10 etc..
    I have looked LG 55UK6950 and Samsung UE55NU7470 But am totally confused so any advise would be very welcome... We dont need to buy yet if that help but am starting to look at a replacement..

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. WhiteLimo1988

WhiteLimo1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  3. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I will have a look at that now, cheers

4. WhiteLimo1988

WhiteLimo1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    No worries. There is a review of the TV on here. Should be on the front page of the site.

5. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks ok but not great going by the reviews and comments.. lets see what else gets commented on.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Ones to watch for price drops on - Samsung NU8000/8500; Sony XF9005; Samsung Q6FN.

This is presuming you’re willing to wait a bit.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    That looks like a 45 degree angle either side if you keep the TV as your current one shown.

Not sure you will be happy with the viewing angles of a VA panel there, you may have to go for a TV with an IPS panel and sacrifice picture quality elsewhere or more ideally go for an OLED that like your Plasma has the best viewing angles.

One way to use a VA panel TV like the Hisense U7A with narrow viewing angles would be to wall mount it or have it on a custom stand you can swivel when the need be.

8. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers Zeppelino, Dodgexander i might have to get rid of the tv stand and purchase something that will fit in the corner, please could you explain what an IPS panel is?? what sort of OLED would you look at? Cheers Jeff

9. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    If you’re going up in size the angle becomes less of an issue. How often does someone sit on the left, nearest the fireplace?

Only OLED within budget is ElectriQ OLED.

10. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyday..

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    IPS is a type of LCD panel used on TVs, it gives wider viewing angles so when you view the TV to the side it looks better than an LCD with a VA panel.

On the other hand it doesn't do as well in other areas such as blacks, contrast and how uniform the screen is. By nature IPS tech lets more light through from behind.

So VA is the prefered option for overall picture quality but isn't any good if you need wide viewing angles.

Whilst IPS is the prefered option for picture quality if you need wide viewing angles.

Of course, if you could wait and save a little longer you would be most pleased with an OLED. Close to your budget now is the aforementioned electriQ UHD OLED or the LG A7 FHD OLED, although you can't get those two models from the usual high street retailers.

If you could save up more and keep your TV for longer and if you buy at the right time then spending £1300 on one of the LG OLEDs would be the best option.

12. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I am no further with purchasing a new tv?? still confused not inspired by any tv i have seen, some much terminology its really difficult to know what to do or who to trust ie curry's or other salesmen in shops to be honest... I really would appreciate some help?

One big question is should i wait until December for a new tv when the sales are on??

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I wouldn't judge a TV in the shop, you won't get a good idea of how it looks at home viewing it in a store.

Close to your current budget and need of wide viewing angles I would seriously look at one of the following: 55" Full HD OLED Smart Digital TV

or

electriQ 55" 4K UHD OLED LG Panel HDR Android Smart TV with Freeview HD and Freesat eiq-55UHDT2HOLED | Appliances Direct

Otherwise I would keep with what you have now, save up more money and upgrade to one of the higher end OLEDs.

The last option would be to pick up a TV with an IPS type panel, but this is probably the last one I would choose as it will be the worse overall for picture quality. There may be reductions on some of these TVs from the 2018 lines come black friday.

14. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks very much I appreciate your comments and I think I will wait for a while longer see if i can get a bargain. I have never heard of electriQ so not sure about it, I have always bought Panasonic, Philips or Sony tv's over the past 30 years.. I will keep an eye on the LG and the electriQ you recommend... Thanks V Much..

15. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    back in august I posted this and after being unable to decide which tv to buy i have resisted the temptation and waited for Black Friday to get a goo deal so please could somebody give me an update on the best tvs to look out for. We are looking for 50 to 55 inch We have sky Q, PS4 the other thing to note is the Sony home cinema surround has died so we will purchase a soundbar as well, tv around £500 to £700 soundbar around £200... Thanks very much as its driving me mad its so confusing knowing what things to look out for technically..

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hisense U7A or Samsung NU8000

17. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will they be ok viewing from the angles we sit in the picture?

18. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to ask again but viewing angles are important if you look at the picture so does the Samsung NU8000 work well? any other set i dont like the Hisense..

19. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Poor viewing angles.

I’d be looking at the Panasonic FX700 or 750 range.

20. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry to say and mean no disrespect to anybody but after reading a few other threads it seems a lot of people dont seem to trust the answer given. I was really hoping for some real advice I have just read a review that slams the Samsung NU8000 and i believe its an AV panel surly we need an ips panel? that was the original advice, looking at the room layout above. I really dont see the point of these forums if when asking for help people dont give you the correct info.. I am no nearer being able to decide than back in august. Very frustrated... I want a good picture but viewing angles do come into play. surly there is a tv that fits the bill?

21. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I recommended two above that allow for good picture when viewing at an angle.

All LG lcd 55” TVs will be ips, with all Sony’s below the XF9005 being ips too at 55”. All Panasonic lcd are ips.

22. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I read somewhere that said if you are upgrading consider 55 inch and not below, is that the case as our current tv is 42 inch i would be happy with 49 or 50 inches?

23. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Most manufacturers now concentrate on 55” with TVs below being mostly poor. If you measure your tv corner to corner (inc bezels) that’ll give you a rough minimum, but I’d venture 55” would be fine.

24. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I made a mistake and recommended you models for someone who doesn't need wide viewing angles, sorry.

There is a guide here that should be more definitive, you can choose TVs based on viewing angle then: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

We're only hear to help people and spend our free time doing it, sadly can't keep things perfect all the time. Especially if tired or with not much time to post.

25. Jeffw19

Jeffw19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, thanks for your help i have had a look through. I do have another question please could you tell me. Samsung QE49Q6FNATXXU would this be a good tv I know its slightly more money but if its a good one then i might pay the money.. thanks to everybody who has answered...

26. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Its another with narrow viewing angles.

I'd opt for the Panasonic FX750 or LG SK8500 in your shoes and look for some black friday deals on those two.