1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV time - Philips 36 or 32 ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MJW, Jun 22, 2004.

1. MJW

MJW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I am new to the forums but have been reading with interest a lot of the existing threads in here. Nice to see a lot of people who know what they're talking about !

I am in the market for a new tv and was very impressed with the Philips Pixel Plus system, but from what I've read here there have been many quality problems, particularly with the 36" version.

Is it really worth going the extra mile and risking a 36, or should I go with the slightly more wallet (and missus) friendly 32 ? Pixel Plus version 2 seems to be only available as a 32 so I was wondering whether to just go for this model.
    I already have a Dolby Digital audio setup, so having DD on the TV is not important.
    I'd be grateful for anyone's opinions.

2. PMF

PMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I realise there is a lot of debate re Pixel plus, but I've had my 32" p+ set for around 6 months and I think the quality is excellent and would recommend it. Whether to go to the bigger set, I think may depend on your viewing distance. If you know where you are going to site the TV and where you will be watching from, then go down to a dealer (tape measure in hand) and try viewing the 32" and 36" sets your interested in from that distance to see if your comfortable with the picture from that distance. If you search this forum for viewing distances you will find several threads where viewing distances are debated with varying opinions.

3. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MJW i'm in exactly the same situation :confused:

My head is saying 32PW9509 but my heart is saying 36PW9618 :D

I prefer the look of the 9509 but the 9618 has so many features

I too have a deducted surround system and the cost diffference isn't a concerne.

Which should I buy :D

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    If you go for the 32 incher, I'll bet you'll forever be wishing for that extra 4 inches!

Why not buy a 36" from John Lewis and then, if you really can't get on with it, they'll happily swop it for the smaller version.

You know it makes sense!

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MJW,

I bought the 36PW9618 two months ago and think the picture and sound are outstanding. I view about 11 feet from the screen. The 36" size does make me feel as if I am taking part in the picture but if you have a 32" size and sit closer I suppose it must feel the same.

After waiting for the new Pixel Plus 2 version I was so disappointed this wasn't extended to the 36" model. I would imagine the 9509 has a superior picture in view of the improvements made by Philips. I thought the 36PW9618 would be very much second best and was overjoyed to find it wonderful in all respects.

Tight Git has a great solution to the problem but John Lewis had stopped selling the 36PW9618 unfortunately. It might be worth enquiring. He is right, once you had seen the 36" size you won't want to lose those inches.

6. MJW

MJW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll be viewing from a distance of approx 10-11 feet, so those extra inches would be certainly be a bonus :D Unfortunately cost is an issue so I don't see the point in the additional expense of on-board DD hardware and speakers which I probably won't use, hence my leaning toward the 36PW9308 as the 36" option.
    Just to add to the agony of choice a friend has offered me a ludicrously cheap 42" Sony plasma (don't know the modelcode yet). Gaah !
    Back to the original decision though, is there a significant difference in picture quality from Pixel Plus version 1 and Pixel Plus version 2 as this could be the clincher.