New TV struggling with TEXT

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Fiesta Red, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought a new LG 43UK6470PLC today and I'm having problems accessing the Text menus. Occasionally it works but more often than not, all I get is "This Function Is Not Available".

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    Are you accessing the Freeview (DVB-T/T2) or Freesat (DVB-S/S2) broadcast television service?

If you're watching via Freeview, pressing the remote controls 'text' button should give you access to the BBC's original 'red button' service when viewing BBC1 or BBC2 (but not BBC 4 or BBC News).

If you're watching via Freesat, pressing the remote controls 'text' button should give you access to the BBC's original 'red button' service when viewing BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and BBC News.

Pressing the remote controls 'red' button while viewing the aforementioned channels should give you access to the BBC's internet based 'red button' service. Which requires your TV to be connected to the internet.

3. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,819
    Predume it's teletext you are referring to?

You are aware that not all channels actually have teletext?

Jim

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Jim, I've been trying on BBC 1 and 2 without success.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Apologies, I should have said Teletext.

My new set is still struggling with it, some times when I press the Text button it will come on straight away but more often than not all I get is a banner saying "This Service Is Not Available".

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I spoke with the LG helpline this morning and they first told me that Teletext was only available part of the day then eventually said I couldn't get Teletext on an LG TV, which doesn't make much sense as it is there sometimes.

As a basic question, when I press the TEXT button on my remote, should I be able to see the Teletext service?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

7. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    The original teletext service (in the image below) was replaced years ago in the UK.

[​IMG]

For more information about the newer 'red button' (text) services look here: BBC Red Button - Wikipedia

Usually a 'red button' icon appears in the top right of your TV screen to indicate when your TV is able to access either of the 'red button' services...

As I mentioned in my previous post... If you're watching via Freeview, pressing the remote controls 'text' button should give you access to the BBC's original 'red button' service when viewing BBC1 or BBC2 (but not BBC 4 or BBC News).

Pressing the remote controls 'red' button while viewing the aforementioned channels should give you access to the BBC's internet based 'red button' service. Which requires your TV to be connected to the internet.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the help and thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I'm doing the right thing, I am watching via Freeview and watching BBC1, when I press the TEXT button on my remote I occasionally get the text services but more often than not when I press the TEXT button all I get is the This function is not available banner.

As an add on, my internet is coming through the sets WiFi from a router upstairs in my office. Not sure if that makes a difference at all.

9. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    As previously mentioned... Usually a 'red button' icon appears in the top right of your TV screen to indicate when your TV is able to access either of the 'red button' services... Access to the service is not instantly available. It often takes a few seconds.

And just so you know. If you press the remote controls 'text' button, you should get access to the BBC's original (over the air) 'red button' service, which looks like this: -

[​IMG]

But if you press the remote controls 'red' button, you should get access to the BBC's internet 'red button' service, which looks (more or less) like this: -

[​IMG]

Cheers

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The image you posted showing the BBC News screen is what I get when the TEXT service works and the image below that one is what I get when I press the Red button on the remote.

I sat with the TV and what I've found is, if you switch the set Off using the button beneath the screen (press and hold) and then turn the set back on by pressing the same button beneath the screen, TEXT works and I get the image you posted.

If I use any of the services such as pressing the button with the house on it, TEXT stops working and it returns to the This function is not available banner on the screen. Hope that makes sense.

Turning the set Off using the remote and turning it back on using the remote I only get the This function is not available banner, no TEXT.

11. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    Hmmm...

You shouldn't have to 'power down' the TV for the text services to function reliably!

After accessing your televisions 'Settings' option, visit 'General' and make sure 'QuickStart+' is set to 'Off'. And if your model offers the 'Mobile TV On' option, make sure this is set to 'Off' also.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks again for the help.

I tried turning both the QuickStart+ and Mobile TV functions to Off but it made no difference. I still have turn the set Off with the button beneath the screen if I want to get into the TEXT service.

13. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    What a shame your issue has not been fully resolved...

On the plus side, now that you've found a 'workaround' you now have some more information to offer LG - If you feel so inclined...

Hopefully, future firmware updates will actually resolve the issue.

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for all the help anyway, really appreciated.

It seems a shame I can't get the Teletext working as it should do as I'm reasonably pleased with all the set's other functions. Not sure what my options are for returning the set to Curry's as I've only had a couple of days.

15. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,819
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just as an update, the "old school" Teletext is now working on my set. Every time I press the TEXT button, it's there.

I've not done anything or changed any settings at all but it's there and working well at the minute. Of course letting everyone know will probably be a bad sign and the Teletext will just disappear as quickly and strangely as it appeared.

Thanks for all the help over the past few days, really appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Yettoner

Yettoner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not an LG issue but I bought a Samsung UE50RU7470 which was delivered on Sunday to replace my 5 year old Samsung which had developed a screen fault.

I am having the same problem as the Original Poster, no Freeview Teletext, I prefer this to the Web one as there is local news and newspaper reviews.

I struggled to get F.T. all Sunday and Monday morning using every method I could think of to launch it, I did get it twice but hadn't a clue how as I did it and I still get the Not Available message.

I even used Live Chat to Samsung and let them control my TV and try an launch it, after 75 minutes of trying even they had no success, they kept on about the web version and couldn't grasp that I can get that via my Virgin Media V6 box and wanted the Freeview version.

I have joined this Forum too seek help and it might have worked as I will try the on / off button method.

Fingers Crossed.

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The Teletext on my LG set (touch wood) is all working well at the minute Yettoner, it may be "old school" but I prefer it. As far as I know I never changed any settings on the set and it simply started working one morning when the set was switched on. Wish I knew how though.

One of the things that made me laugh was when I asked the LG Technical Helpline if there was no longer TEXT available on LG TVs, why was there a TEXT button on the remote. Their reply was that as remotes were mass produced, the TEXT button was on there for other countries to use.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Every time I get an email from LG, the replies get stranger and stranger.

"Good Afternoon Mike,

I must admit that this is a strange issue, we have had no other reports of the TEXT button on our remote controls enabling the BBC red button service. It is possible that this is the result of incorrect signals being sent from the remote control to your TV, in order to investigate this further could I please ask you to provide us with a video showing the TEXT button being pressed, resulting in this service being displayed on screen.

This video can be submitted to us in your reply to this email."

20. SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +781
    Jeez.... Have you directed them to this topic?

And there's also this one: LG 86UK6500PLA and Text

It sounds like LG could do with some experienced UK/EU testers ;)