Question New TV - Stick or twist?!

Topher67

Novice Member
Hi Folks

I'm considering replacing my 43" Samsung F5400 plasma - it's not urgent but it's beginning to make some weird noises and its a bit old heh heh - with a new TV.

Content is almost exclusively thru a PC using online streaming, either Kodi - 4K/1080p - and BT Sports HD, both via HDMI connection. Also occasionally (less than 10%) using a freeview box with the usual HD/SD content.

I don't think I need wide viewing angles as I usually sit head on to the box, but maybe max 45/50 degrees. Sitting about 7 feet away.

Budget and screen size are limited. Max budget is £500, screen size 50". This is max for both, no leeway.

I'm not fussed about any "smart" platform the TV may have, as I likely won't use it. At all. I'm much more fussed about picture quality given the sources used (which aren't likely to change in the foreseeable) and keeping within the stated size/price.

Also, I have been thinking lately I would be better with a monitor rather than a TV given I don't actually use the "TV" functions of my current box - if that makes sense. But they seem to be a lot more expensive in this size range and don't have the connectivity options.

For example, the Hisense 50U7A seems like a good priced set...

I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Dodgexander

Several recommended models at this price point.. All 50" models such as the Hisense U7A you already mentioned: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

For better motion you'll need a TV out of budget though if you are sticking only to 50" in size, that would be the Sony XF85/XF87 series at around £600-700.

Max 40-45 btw (if from the centre either side of the TV) is not narrow for viewing angles, if you need a TV with viewing angles that wide you cannot opt for TVs with the best picture quality from the front and will need to look at different models with IPS panels instead.

Topher67

Novice Member
Yes, I've read that guide. Have been tempted by some Panasonics and Sonys at this price/size but read that blacks/contrast not so good. I'm quite prone to viewing in the dark too.

Dodgexander

Its in the first page of the guide, but before deciding on a TV you have to decide on the panel type you need, if you want good viewing angles from an LCD TV you can't get a TV that also has good contrast and blacks and you won't get a TV that performs well in the dark.

Instead look at only 50" models suggested so that would be each one from Hisense, LG, Samsung or Philips. (not 49") but you'll have to accept viewing angles will be narrow.

Most people would choose good dark room performance over viewing angles but if its important that the TV looks the same from the front as it does at an angle greater than 30-35 degrees either side you may have no choice.

Analysis

Hi Folks

I'm considering replacing my 43" Samsung F5400 plasma - it's not urgent but it's beginning to make some weird noises and its a bit old heh heh - with a new TV.

Content is almost exclusively thru a PC using online streaming, either Kodi - 4K/1080p - and BT Sports HD, both via HDMI connection. Also occasionally (less than 10%) using a freeview box with the usual HD/SD content.

I don't think I need wide viewing angles as I usually sit head on to the box, but maybe max 45/50 degrees. Sitting about 7 feet away.

Budget and screen size are limited. Max budget is £500, screen size 50". This is max for both, no leeway.

I'm not fussed about any "smart" platform the TV may have, as I likely won't use it. At all. I'm much more fussed about picture quality given the sources used (which aren't likely to change in the foreseeable) and keeping within the stated size/price.

Also, I have been thinking lately I would be better with a monitor rather than a TV given I don't actually use the "TV" functions of my current box - if that makes sense. But they seem to be a lot more expensive in this size range and don't have the connectivity options.

For example, the Hisense 50U7A seems like a good priced set...

I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Hang on for a little more time and you could get a better set for your budget:

General Buying Tips

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom