New TV/Soundbar

mtc310578

Novice Member
HI All.
Wondering if anyone can give some advice as this was the place I got advice when I bought my last tv in 2007. No ,really. Pioneer Kuro which has been going strong till very recently however after 14 good years use of it I think it's about time for a replacement.
I'm looking at the £1000 to £1500 mark, likely for around a 55'. I was looking at the LG 55' C1. Would this be a wise decision or anything else in that budget to consider.

In wonderful timing, my Pioneer sounder is also going on the blink so I'll need to add a soundbar as well - ideally around £250 - was looking at Yamaha YAS109? Not very knowledgeable on soundbars so any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

lynx

Senior Moderator

On offer at moment for £1499.89 bundled with free soundbar Panasonic SC-HTB400EBK, 2.1 Ch, 160W Soundbar with Bluetooth | Costco UK

Just putting on your radar.

lynx

Senior Moderator
I haven't seen a C1 set up so wouldn't like to comment. The 980 is "ok" for general use, perhaps not quite so much for gaming.

Suggest having a look at a 65" 980/1000 if you intend simply watching UHD content via broadcast/ streaming blu-ray.

Last edited:

mike7

Distinguished Member
If you are still considering the C1 as a new TV then a soundbar in front of the set may be out of the question. The TV has no conventional stand or legs so almost all soundbars are going to obliterate the lower part of the screen. OK though if you can mount the bar on a shelf below the TV or wall mount above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 15

mtc310578

Novice Member
That's a great shout about the space at the bottom of the screen that I hadn't thought about at all.
Any thoughts on what would be a good solution to this? I'm still quite fond of the C1 and haven't found anything else in the price range I like as much (although happy to take suggestions to research) - what kind of sound improvement could I do on a reasonably limited budget given the restrictions of having a soundbar in front?

Thanks
Martin

mike7

Distinguished Member
Martin, I was thinking of going down the LG route myself but having just got rid of a room full of speakers and taken the soundbar route, against all my prejudices, I had no intention of returning to a multi-speaker system. Stylish though the CI series is it seems ridiculous that a firm that manufactures soundbars should have overlooked this fundamental flaw in their design. The height of the screen from the base it stands on is only 3.2cm 'ish and I've not seen a soundbar that narrow!

There is the option of using a Soundbase to stand the tv on. These appear to be very expensive for what they are, and not giving much in the way of performance. The only other solutions would appear to be going down a change of furniture to accommodate a soundbar on a central lower shelf, or to buy a modest stereo speaker/amplifier system. Neither option suits me.

Last edited:

mtc310578

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm Still leaning towards C1 on a Cyber Monday deal today
Question is...55 or 65?
Current Pioneer is 50 so initial thought was 55 but I'm now wondering if 65 would be better?
Any thoughts?
Thanks again
Martin

Dodgexander

It's always better to go bigger if you're looking to take advantage of high quality UHD sources. And when buying an UHD TV, why wouldn't you be?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom