New TV + Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Leehweb, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Leehweb

Leehweb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

1st post, very basic knowledge, so please take it easy and answer in the most simpliest terms possible.. :)

I bought a new LED TV on Saturday a Samsung, link below..

SAMSUNG Series 6 UE40ES6710 Full HD 40" LED 3D TV buy online | Currys

My old TV was a Sharp with HD ready, but I had it for 5 years and thought I would upgrade to a full HD, smart 3D TV.

However, I have now set-up my new TV (I think), but the picture quality through my Sky HD box is even worse than my old TV and I am not at all happy with it, what have I done wrong??

My Sky HD box is fairly old (about 4-5 years), but was fine on my old TV. All I have plugged in is an HDMI cable from the back of my HD box to my TV. Is it possible I need to replace my HD box, if so, can I purchase one anywhere or do I need to go through Sky?

Any suggestions welcome as my family not happy I have spent all this money and the picture is even worse.

What am I doing wrong..... :mad:

Help much appreciated...... :thumbsup:

2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    You will need to read the TV manual and adjust the TV's settings.

3. Leehweb

Leehweb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

I have tried adjusting the brightness, contrast etc and it has slightly improved. The picture is okay, but no where near as clear/sharp as my previous TV.

In fact, the digital picture through my TV appears better than the picture through my Sky HD box, which I also think is strange?

Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

4. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    SD content may well look a little softer on the full HD panel. Go through all the options on the TV and turn all picture processing, motion smoothing and resolution enhancement off as they usually do more harm than good. Also change the Sky box output from 1080 to auto and vice versa to see if you see a difference.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The Sky machine may or may not be the explanation, but in any case it's high time to get a new one!
    If you're a Sky subscriber then of course you get it from them, and you could have had one, for free, long ago.
    Here's how many others got theirs:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd-sky-3d/1452677-replacement-pvrs-supplied-sky-request.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd-sky-3d/1452676-replacement-pvrs-offered-sky-get-anytime.html
    If you're not a subscriber the AVF Selling forum usually has some for sale.
    Does "the digital picture through my TV" refer to the HD channels on Freeview?
    The Sky machine should produce those channels in the same way.
    Try a different HDMI cable and all the HDMI sockets, and if that doesn't solve it report it to the TV supplier.

6. Leehweb

Leehweb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Thanks so much for your responses, much appreicated.. :thumbsup:

I will try these things on my return from work, I will also contact Sky to send me through a "FREE" updgrade HD box, or I will threaten them with a Virgin move... ;)

Thanks again

7. nlel

nlel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I took out a Sky subscription about 3 years ago at my mothers place. I got a free Sky + HD 250GB Samsung box at the time and subscribed to Variety & Knowledge packs.

At that time my own flat didn't have a satellite option but in 2010 a communal dish was erected so I bought a Sky + HD box off eBay for £ 80 and started sharing the card between the box at my mothers and the eBay one at home.

The box at my mothers was paired with the card and I took out Sky Sports 1 which I used to watch around her place at the weekends. Couldn't get it round my place for obvious reasons.

The Sky + HD box I bought off eBay developed a fault which I perhaps too hastily replaced with a 1TB box bought from Sat Europa for £ 268.94

My mother sadly passed away recently so I phoned Sky to have them pair my card with my 1TB box and now MySky shows I have a 1TB box so any chance of getting a free upgrade to a 1TB box which I could later sell seem to be scuppered.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Leehweb
    Can you describe for us how the sky box is connected to the new tv
    Which socket are you using from the sky box?
    Which socket are you using on the tv to plug into?
    Do you have a freeview (terrestrial) aerial plugged into the sky box or the tv direct?
    When you are watching sky on the tv is the tv tuned to the socket that sky is plugged in to (e.g. HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3)

If you were getting a satisfactory picture on the old set it is unlikely that the new set will show a worse result, however old the sky box is. It's something to do with the setting up and we need to carefully go through the settings of the sky box and the new tv to establish which setting is incorrect

9. Leehweb

Leehweb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comments above, thanks for all your replies it is much appreciated, I have had a play tonight and HDMI 3 appears to improve the picture, but the freeview via the TV still appears to have a better picture. I will look later at my Sky settings to see if I can play around with them.....

On the plus side, I have spoken to Sky about moving over to Virgin and have come to an agreement to stay with them and they are upgrading my HD box and also my wireless router, both of which are 5 years old.

Again, thanks for your responses and I will keep fiddling, god I hate technology - although I love it, when it all works perfectly... :thumbsup: