New TV Recommendation for Living Room

priasda

Novice Member
Hi,
I've moved to a new apartment and my old 48" LCD is now used in the bedroom so looking for a new TV for a well lit open plan living room.
Usage - Mainly day time use(will use projector after dark) or casual watching in the evening while cooking or having dinner.
Primary Contents - Football, Youtube, Prime Video
Device - FireStick 4K, Chromecast, Denon AVR-X2300W
TV Size - min 65"
Budget - approx £1000

My biggest confusion is if I compromise with the TV size I might be able to afford OLED within my budget. But is OLED TV right for me? Obviously screen burn is a concern but is it bright enough for daytime use?

Apart from OLED the only other option is going for a LCD. So far I've short listed few based on my budget, are there any other I should consider?

1. Panasonic TX65HX800B - Recently saw 55" version in the store and looked decent to me, compared with entry level QLED model and couldn't find significant difference. But again I'm not an expert.
2. Hisense 65U8QFTUK - Found some decent reviews in this forum. Is it significantly better than above?
3. Samsung UE75TU7020 - Probably inferior TV but larger than the above two
4. LG 75NANO796NF - Is it any better than the rest?

Will really appreciate if you can let me know which one will you recommended and why. I could have waited bit longer but Black Friday is too far away!

tvdavid

the u8q no contest for decent hdr

Dodgexander

Check out the best buys here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

If you want bright there's no contest, U8Q clearly wins. The other models are low tier models, the Panasonic very expensive for what you get and not recommended at all by me.

priasda

Novice Member
Check out the best buys here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

If you want bright there's no contest, U8Q clearly wins. The other models are low tier models, the Panasonic very expensive for what you get and not recommended at all by me.
I got the U8Q reference from your post and it has been very useful, thanks for all the details.
LG OLED55BX6LB seems to cost almost same, would you recommend OLED for daytime use or I'll have better experience with U8Q in my environment.

Dodgexander

There's nothing wrong with an OLED for daytime use as long as your room isn't very bright. You kind of negate the benefit a bit by using it in brighter conditions though, so not sure its worth downsizing for. Its really up to you to make the decision between size and quality though, of course a 55" TV that costs the same is a lot better. If it were me, I wouldn't compromise on size.

priasda

Novice Member
There's nothing wrong with an OLED for daytime use as long as your room isn't very bright. You kind of negate the benefit a bit by using it in brighter conditions though, so not sure its worth downsizing for. Its really up to you to make the decision between size and quality though, of course a 55" TV that costs the same is a lot better. If it were me, I wouldn't compromise on size.
Hi, found if I can spend few hundreds more I can actually go for Panasonic TX-65HZ980B
with a discounted price. So now I'm tempted to go for it. What's your view with the above model. I can stretch my budget if I get much better value for money.
Unfortunately the LG 65BX doesn't come with any discount.
Also should I be really worried about burn in given these newer models are supposed to be more resistant to it

dion 6

Hi, found if I can spend few hundreds more I can actually go for Panasonic TX-65HZ980B
with a discounted price. So now I'm tempted to go for it. What's your view with the above model. I can stretch my budget if I get much better value for money.
Unfortunately the LG 65BX doesn't come with any discount.
Also should I be really worried about burn in given these newer models are supposed to be more resistant to it
I'm watching a panasonic 65inch GZ950 at the same time as typing this reply. I've had the gz950 for going on 2 years and I still think it's a fantastic tv the HZ980 is a newer model and I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Dodgexander

with a discounted price.
That's one of the best value TVs in my guide.

Burn in really depends on your use. You have to understand what can put you at risk. As long as what you use isn't risky you don't have to worry. You can't however blindly buy and use risky content thinking you won't have an issue in the long term.

priasda

Novice Member
That's one of the best value TVs in my guide.

Burn in really depends on your use. You have to understand what can put you at risk. As long as what you use isn't risky you don't have to worry. You can't however blindly buy and use risky content thinking you won't have an issue in the long term.
Many thanks for all your inputs. It has been really helpful. Unfortunately I missed the discount on Monday while waiting for the price match. Now waiting for the bank holiday to see if any deals come up, hopefully will get something before the Euro.
At similar price point between Panasonic 65HZ980B and LG 65BX which one would you recommend for better picture quality(mainly movies, prime video, football). Or is there any material difference in terms of picture quality and brightness. I'm aware LG doesn't have HDR 10+ but does it make any difference?
Please note I don't play games and definitely not a videophile.

priasda

Novice Member
HDR10+ isn't that important, but the Panny is the better TV for movies and football anyway so I'd take that over the BX.
Thanks a lot for all the advice, I went for the Panny Oled. Coming from old Panny LED( guess Vestrel made) the difference is huge in everything! Have been using in default settings for a week now and the experience has been amazing so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom