New TV & Old Soundbar

esieens

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I just got myself a new TV, LG CX, and trying to use it with my old YSP2200 soundbar.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I believe the YSP2200 does not do 4k passthrough so I need to connect my Apple TV 4K directly to the TV to get 4K, correct?
2. Can the TV feed 5.1 sound to my soundbar through the ARC connection of the TV?
3. Taking my example of the Apple TV 4K, how should I connect all the elements so that I can get 4K picture and 5.1 digital sound output through the soundbar?

Thanks in advance for your help,
David

JBA6

Hi David,
1 - Yes, the soundbar can only pass 1080p so you must connect the Apple to the TV.
2 - I can't see any reason why not.
3 - Connect all sources to the TV and then feed the soundbar via the ARC connection.
JB

esieens

Standard Member
Thank you.

I believe though, if all elements are connected to the TV, that the TV will only be able to passthrough compressed 5.1 Dolby digital to the sound bar.

While with the Apple TV connected to the sound bar, I can get non-compressed 5.1 audio. Is my understanding correct?

JBA6

Yes, your soundbar is of an age when eARC wasn't available so you'll only get compressed 5.1 audio via the ARC connection. I guess it depends what's most important to you, the sound or 4K video? If you want both then an eARC compatible soundbar is the way to go but it would inevitably be pretty expensive to match the sound quality your current soundbar is capable of.
JB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom