1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New tv, not 100% impressed.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pug72, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I have a KV36FS76U.

After looking at it for 24 hours and am wondering whether to keep it or not.

The picture shows a lot of the artifacts etc. the sky+ chucks out.

The darks seem too dark and raising the contrast and brightness just makes it too bright. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium.

Also there seems a slight flicker in contrast, noticable on paused sky or xbox menu screens.

Getting it returned will be a huge hassle but not impossible, so do I try and get used to it or try maybe a smaller screen.

I currently have a 4 year old 32inch Grundig, and although there is a slight tilt in the geometry, the picture, IMO seems smoother/better.

What would you guys do?

2. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't speak about the artifacts but can understand what you mean about the brightness. When mine arrived it took a couple of days to get the picture just right as far as brightness and contrast go. Mine are on pretty low settings to achieve what I felt was best and satisfactory. I also tried to compare it to my old tv by putting it along side. I found then that the Sony was just crisper and clearer. (I was comparing it to a 9 year old ferguson but it was the first flat screen they did and was pretty good) I think you will decide the picture is great when you get used to it but not sure you will cure the artifact issue, never seen any myself (touch wood). Are you using good scarts etc?

Dave

PS Just seen your other thread. With a 14 day no quibble return I would mess about a bit and see how it goes. I think you will decide on the best course of action after a week or so.

3. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thanks, I think you're right.

It could just be the fact it is so clear and vibrant compared to my older tv that it looks odd.

I will give it a few days to see if it grows on me and then I can decide whether to keep it or not.

4. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    After owning the set for a few days now, the slight brightness flicker made me decide to ring Currys to tell them the set is faulty and to get a refund.

They are sending an engineer round thursday to confirm the fault before I can arrange for it to be collected.

My question now is for the people who have been through this themselves.

Are these engineers easy to please or do they try to fob people off by saying the fault is not noticable.

The flicker is only apparent on dark scenes.

I am really worried that I will be stuck with it.

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Mastercare (who carry out repairs for Dixons/Currys) have a very bad reputation.

That's not to say that all engineers that work for them are no good, you could find that the technician that visits you agrees with you and you get things sorted with no hassle, but there are service engineers that will try to fob you off with the old "the set's operating within factory tolerances" routine, so you may need to stick to your guns and insist that the tv is substandard.

Good luck.

Bob.

6. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Cheers Bob.

I've sort of solved my problem lol.

I rang aftersales and just said I wasn't happy with the tv and I want to return it.

He didn't ask why, just said someone will call to arrange collection!

MUCH EASIER!!!

Thankfully I still have the packaging (which takes up a huge space in the lounge due to the box not fitting through the door).

I then had to ring mastercare again to cancel the engineer!!

Funnily enough though, this time round the guy offered to send a replacement without an engineer calling!!!!!

I refused this coz I'd already arranged to return it!!!

STRESSED OUT OR WHAT!

All this over buying a tv.

Why does it have to be so difficult to buy a decent tv?
    So many people here have problems buying a good tv or indeed choosing a tv that few people have had problems with!

Quality control at the factories must be so crap!
    Either that or they just can't master making perfect products so ship them all out hoping the poor ones go to the people who don't notice these things or aren't fussy.
    And if someone does return a set, it probably gets re-packaged and put back into circulation, hoping the fault doesn't get noticed by the new owner.

Sorry for the rant but I am just a bit peethed that after spending nearly £1400 on a tv, it isn't upto a good standard.

For all you guys who have been through similar problems I feel for you, I really do.

I'm too scared to buy another tv now incase I get another 'duff' set, so I'll stick with my old one for now.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Yep I totally agree - the fear factor is seriously putting me off buying a new TV. I have a quite nice 4.3 TV which is quite old but the picture is excellent.

I just feel like i need a 16.9, but the fear of the hassle makes me ttrrreeemmmbbllleeee!!!

8. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I always wonder if the delivery of the TVs does anything to them... all that bumping about in the back of lorries and stuff. Stil... I don't see an alternative as one can hardly pick one up from the shop (unless they drive a Transit or similar :)).

9. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Update.

Got a call today arranging collection for 8th Nov.

Just got to try and get the thing back in the box!!!