New TV - no Sky?

IainA

Novice Member
Hi, I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before and can help me with a resolution.

I bought a new tv recently, a Sony 42 W82B, and when I set it up I could not get any of my sky programmes. I simply got the sky blue screen advising that I did not have a satellite signal.

I therefore plugged back in my old tv, a LG 26LL3050 and low an behold my sky programmes were available. So I am receiving a satellite signal. Back then to my new tv and no sky programmes.

As I live in a block of flats I ask my very friendly and helpful aerial man, Ray, to have a look. He hasn't seen anything like it. He also tried to get sky through the a rf connection but the same result. He believes the signal between the tv and the sky box chassis is being blocked and therefore upsetting the clocks. (I am now out of my depth here).

Can anyone help me please.

logiciel

What type of Sky machine do you have, and how is it connected to the TV?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
There is nothing wrong with the connection between the Sky box and the Tv.
If you see the "There is no satellite signal being received" on-screen graphic that is generated by the Sky box and proves the connection between the two is fine and points to a fault in the Dish/LNB/Downlead or Sky box.
It appears your friendly aerial man is also out of his depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

jotty

Dont know much about the Sony, but is it possible its defaulting to the inbuilt Sat connection rather than the hdmi connection for the sky box ?

logiciel

a fault in the Dish/LNB/Downlead or Sky box.
Those were eliminated in the OP.
I don't know what an inbuilt satellite connection is but the problem also appears with the RF connection, so we must assume that it's something in the TV.

IainA

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies thus far.
Jaycee you say that my aerial man is out of his depth. I think this is an unfair comment, he has already said he does not know the answer and advised me to come on here as the contributors are also friendly and have lots of knowledge.

To help clarify the problem. I have my old LG and my new Sony TVs set up next to each other. Sky is connect to the LG and works fine. I take the Sky HDMI cable out of the LG and plug it into the new Sony and Sky does not work.

Adrian_F

I think this TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so make sure you are selecting the correct one via your remote control.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I take the Sky HDMI cable out of the LG and plug it into the new Sony and Sky does not work.
Describe in detail "Sky does not work"
If the Sky box is plugged into e.g. HDMI1 on the Tv have you selected the HDMI1 input on the set and what are you seeing?

jotty

If you check the back of the TV it may have both an rf and a sat input as well as the hdmi ones. If it does have a sat input then you will need to check the tvs settings and check that the hdmi input your sky box is plugged into is the default one. This is usually via the source button on the remote.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Those were eliminated in the OP.
I don't know what an inbuilt satellite connection is but the problem also appears with the RF connection, so we must assume that it's something in the TV.
We think the OPs Tv has Freesat built in.
If the OP is viewing his SkyHD box on the correct input and he's seeing the Sky box generated "There is no satellite signal being received" on-screen graphic, naturally that will also appear on the RF output.
I remain convinced there is no fault in his Tv and this is going to turn out to be a case of an intermittent fault or loose connection at the Sky box front end or the OP is trying to view Freesat (with no dish connected) on his Tv.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
What is the actual wording on screen? The Sky warning says "For your information. Your Sky +HD box isn't getting a satellite signal .........". If it merely says "no satellite signal" or similar then that message is from the TVs internal satellite tuner. What happens to the onscreen message if you turn the Sky box off? Many of the Sony W82.. TV range have internal satellite tuners and if that is not connected to the dish and you have selected the wrong source on your TV then you will get "No satellite signal..." message.

logiciel

I have my old LG and my new Sony TVs set up next to each other. Sky is connect to the LG and works fine. I take the Sky HDMI cable out of the LG and plug it into the new Sony and Sky does not work.
In your first post you referred to a "sky box" - do you have one, or do the TVs both have satellite tuners?

IainA

Novice Member
Ok, I have tried a few things. I switched on my old LG and new Sony TVs lining them both up together. The aerial was connected to the Sony, the Sky HDMI cable connected to the LG. In this set up everything was as expected, terrestrial channels were available on the Sony whilst the LG had Sky programmes.

I removed the HDMI cable from the LG put it into the new Sony TV at HDMI connection 2, selected the appropriate HDMI input on the TV and the Sky message "For your information. Your Sky +HD box isn't getting a satellite signal ........." appeared. (I also tried HDMI connection 3 and the same thing happened).

I then, as suggested, powered down the Sky box and my Sony TV switched itself off. I then powered up the Sky box and the Sony TV came back on. The full Sky menu was now shown: "TV Guide, Planner, Catch Up TV...." with a message stating "Search is initialising". After a few minutes this whole screen is replaced with the Sky blue screen advising "For your information. Your Sky +HD box isn't getting a satellite signal ........." re-appeared.

Does this help?

logiciel

It seems to answer my question!
You've tried it with the HDMI connection - try it with each of the others - Scart, 3 x phonos, RF1 Out - setting the correct input on the TV with each.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
After a few minutes this whole screen is replaced with the Sky blue screen advising "For your information. Your Sky +HD box isn't getting a satellite signal ........." re-appeared.

Does this help?
Yes, it proves you have an intermittent fault at the Sky box end which has nothing to do with your Tv.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
To be fair it could be a poorly shielded or faulty TV interacting with poor quality satellite cabling. Unlikely... but not impossible...

It'd be interesting to connect the LG to the Sky box via RF or scart and the Sony via HDMI and test both TVs being on at the same time...

IainA

Novice Member
Ok, have now tried connecting the old LG to the Sky box via, HDMI, Scart, RF and 3 phono. Sky works on all connections when the correct input is selected on the TV.

I then tried all different connects on the new Sony. Sky failed on all connection types.

I don't think it is an intermittent fault on the sky box as it always works on the LG. Could it have anything to do with the software on the Sony TV?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Did you not try the TVs on at the same time? Are you moving the Sky box at all during your testing?

IainA

Novice Member
Yes both TV were on at the same time. The new Sony works with every connection (blue ray player, sound bar, etc) except Sky. The old LG works with everything. I keep the Sky box as still as I can when connecting and disconnecting, Sky always works when I connect back to the LG which to me rules out any intermittent fault or connection problems.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
So what happens if you connect the LG to scart and the sony by hdmi at the same time, but starting with the sony powered off, to establish a working Sky picture on the lg, then switch the sony on?

IainA

Novice Member
Ah ha!! I have done as you suggested i.e. connecting LG to scart and Sony via HDMI to the Sky box. Both TVs are now showing Sky programmes. When I removed the scart from the LG, Sky programmes disappeared from both, when I re-connected the scart Sky came back on both TVs.

IainA

Novice Member
Further to my last post: If I leave both TVs connected to Sky with the Sky picture on both, then put the LG into standby mode, the Sky picture remains on the Sony. If I switch of the LG at the mains the Sky picture on the Sony goes away and is replaced with the usual message of 'your Sky+HD box is not getting a signal...'.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett