New TV, New Speakers, SKY + etc...pls don't shout!!!!

L

Limbamp

Hi everyone.

First post so please be gentle. I've spent the last two hours searching for answers but because everyone's kit seems to be a little bit different from the next persons I'm still a bit confused about how to link it all together!!

I've just bought the following and want to order all of the relevant cables this evening (should get everything on Monday):

Panasonic LCD - TX-37LZD800 (4 HDMI's)

Panasonic DVD Cinema System - SC-PT460...which has the following:

1 HDMI
1 Scart
1 Optical
1 Comp Vid out
Audio Input (AUX)

I also have a PS3 and just got SKY+ (Not HD)

I think you all know the next question......HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance

DVD -> HDMI -> TV
PS3 -> HDMI -> TV
SKY -> SCART -> TV
PS3 -> OPTICAL -> DVD
SKY -> OPTICAL -> DVD

I[m assuming that the optical is an optical-IN on your cinema system. However, as it only has the one optical input, you will need to buy an optical switch to make life easy when switching between the PS3 input and the Sky input (Sky will only output DD over Optical).

HTH.

Thanks Posi for the information. I was kind of getting there but it's good for the extra info!! I don't know if the Optical is an 'In' on the Cinema system but I'd assume it is. I can't find anything on the Panasonic website to confirm this though! So if I just search for an Optical Switcher I should find what i want?? Any better than any others?? Thanks again for the help.

Have a look at a toslink splitter which can be used as a switch for optical devices providing only one devices is on at a time, which should be fine with the PS3 and Sky. TV cables, amazon etc. sell them for £4 or so.

LINK

Thanks for the link Dave. Do you know if I can leave my two optical cables (PS3 & SKY+) in the splitter or is it best just to unplug each one when i need to use the other? What I'm trying to say is would I do any damage if I accidently had them both switched on at the same time,.or would it just not work?? Thanks

The splitter will work as long as only one device (light) is on at a time. You would just leave both connected. If both are on at the same time, the signal will be garbled and won't work. It won't cause any damage.

Thanks again Dave. Everything is now ordered and I'm confident in what i need to do with it all!! I love the internet!!! Thanks to a great forum.

Limbamp - BE AWARE - I may be wrong here but the link for the above 'optical splitter' may be wrong for your circumstances....

The item in the link appears to be a "1 in 2 out" splitter - IE splitting the audio from one device into two streams for two devices (EG an amplifier and a home cinema system)

What you need is a "2 in 1 out" splitter that allows two devices (in this case, your PS3 and Sky+ box) to plug into one socket on your home cinema system.

Both types of splitter do exist, its just a case of ensuring you order the right one for your needs.

HTH, Glen

It does work otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it! There were issues with the sky boxes initially as they always passed a digitial audio signal but that was addressed. Loads of folk use them including inc. my mate.

The item in the link appears to be a "1 in 2 out" splitter - IE splitting the audio from one device into two streams for two devices (EG an amplifier and a home cinema system)

What you need is a "2 in 1 out" splitter that allows two devices (in this case, your PS3 and Sky+ box) to plug into one socket on your home cinema system.

First off, 2 in 1 out is a switch not a splitter :)

Secondly as Dave has said, the one he suggested will work the 'wrong' way around and it has been recommended and used many times before in that mode, the only proviso is the one he mentions, that only one device should be on at a time.

The advantage of Dave's suggestion is that you don't need to manually change the setting on the switch or pay for a more expensive remote unit etc. So in this specific case using a splitter in reverse can be a low cost solution.

Thanks for the warning Glen. So in theory from what you have said the following should be ok??

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241&criteria=optical splitter&doy=17m5

Thanks again.

Limbamp - that's the one...the only other comment - the only other thing to be aware of is that the one you've chosen appears to be a 'manual' switch - IE you have to manually select the device you've chosen to use. I'm sure there are 'auto' switches on the market - these normally work by automatically switching to the last device you turned on. There's almost certainly no difference in sound quality between the manual and automatic devices - just a little less fiddling around with the auto variants.

The other thing you could consider would be a optical-to-coaxial converter - thereby letting you plug one of your devices into your (currently unused) coaxial socket. My mate has one and it works fine - and no switching required !

Here's the link:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=optical to coaxial&source=15&SD=Y

You would of course, need a short length of coaxial cable too in order for this to work.

Just options for you to consider really.

EDIT- cancel the above re 'optical to coaxial' - Ive just noticed that your home ciname system doesn't appear to have a coaxialocket - sorry for jumping the gun !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom