1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new tv new amp new dvd **##?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bazza1, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Bazza1

Bazza1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know everyones sick of these questions but here goes. panasonic tx10. sony 935 dvd, sony 940 amp. what are the best way to connect these? ive got a scart from the dvd to tv . is s-video better. also only one rgb input in tv but this is being used by the dvd what about the sat? also why do you put video inputs into an amp? and the last one , im used to my old sony tv which had factory settings for colour, conrast etc but this tv hasnt. is there any procedure for getting the settings right, i know its personal preference but roughly, there must be some standard? thank you thank you thank you for anyone who replys to this good or bad. cheers

2. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazza,
    Firstly - check out dvdboxoffice and get your hands on a copy of "ultimate DVD - platinum" which contains 2 discs of setup and demonstration software for audio & video and should be all you'll need (unless you upgrade to 6.1 Ex, etc.)
    It takes a while to run through the tests and it's important to ensure that the level of the lighting in your room when you're running the disc is the same as when you normally watch DVDs - otherwise your calibration will be incorrect - but once you've done it, your pic will be much better.
    The demos are good for irritating the neighbours, impressing your friends and explaining to the missus why you had to spend so much money on your HC kit.

Re connecting the 940 - I have the same amp and you have 3 real options.

Always connect DVD to amp with a coaxial digital cable - this handles your audio.

so...to the options

A) Connect phono from DVD composite video output to amp (DVD) composite video input, then connect amp monitor composite video output to TV (may need video phono to scart cable assuming your TV doesn't have composite video input) - this way you will get the on-screen menu from your amp.

B) Connect s-video cable from DVD s-video socket to amp (DVD) s-video input, then connect amp monitor s-video output to TV using either s-video to s-video lead into TV front panel or s-video to scart lead into your TV's s-video capable scart socket - you will also be able to see the on-screen menu from the amp this way.

C) Connect DVD via scart to TV (and DVD to amp via coax digital as above) and forget about the on-screen menu - which isn't showing you anything the front panel of the 940 does already.

I went with option C because composite video is not the same quality as s-video which, in turn, is not as good quality as RGB. As far as I know, you can't run RGB through the 940.

You should also be aware that you cannot mix and match video inputs to the 940. i.e. do not connect one source via composite video and another source via s-video because the two buses on the amp don't mix and you will only get the picture depending which connection you make from the monitor out on the amp to your TV.

Sorry, this is confusing.

e.g. VCR connected via phono to amp composite, DVD connected via s-video to amp s-video and monitor out s-video connected to TV - with this config you would only be able to see DVD on your TV as the VCR is on a different bus - composite, not connected to the TV at all.

I have a knack of confusing people, but this is not a simple thing to explain...

Feel free to ask more questions to clarify

Gid