New TV needed.

Darren20k

Novice Member
Hi everyone, so a while ago I posted asking for advice on some tvs, thanks dodge and I ended up getting a loan tv Sony xg 8795 and to say the picture was good, unfortunately their was alot of blooming and backlight which wasn't to my taste especially when watching TV in dark room. Iv managed to save a decent budget of £1000 give or take and would like to stick with Sony due to great picture, motion etc, iv looked at oleds also but tv habits may cause issues long term, pausing tv during netflix, playing some rpg games and shooter type eg final fantasy, call of duty, doom etc type games also having children watch and pause tv. Would like to stick with va panel and ideal size of 55 but possible 58 at the maximum,Any help would be appreciated thanks

pastrybloke19

Have a look at the XH9505 - great value tv and very good with HDR, assuming you watch things with HDR (ie Netflix UHD, Blu Ray), and it will really shine if you can feed it HD/UHD sources......

Darren20k

Novice Member
Have a look at the XH9505 - great value tv and very good with HDR, assuming you watch things with HDR (ie Netflix UHD, Blu Ray), and it will really shine if you can feed it HD/UHD sources......
Hi, yeah it's mainly Netflix, firestick and Ps4 Pro. No sd channels needed.

pastrybloke19

Hi, yeah it's mainly Netflix, firestick and Ps4 Pro. No sd channels needed.
Then I think it will be a very good choice for you. Although I think the 65” is only a bit more.........:laugh:

and always recommend buying from John Lewis or Richer Sounds: 5/6 year warranty and decent customer service.

Darren20k

Novice Member
Just had a check on it, seems a decent tv and contacted RS but no stock till end of the month, so they are out just now. A 65 inch would take up the whole wall and I think the neighbours would gather round outside to watch it 😂

vickster

Distinguished Member

vickster

Distinguished Member
No local independent retailers?

There are two Sony Centres in Scotland

Darren20k

Novice Member
I'm in the North East between Aberdeen and Inverness and not much in the way of local retailers, curry's and argos being the only 2,online seems to be a hit or miss with getting things delivered.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I'm in the North East between Aberdeen and Inverness and not much in the way of local retailers, curry's and argos being the only 2,online seems to be a hit or miss with getting things delivered.
The Sony centres do say they’ll deliver, try to order one with your postcode and see?

Curry’s should at least give a 5 year warranty, just hope you don’t need to claim :)

Darren20k

Novice Member
Ok so update is as follows, spoke to the dedicated Sony shop in Scotland and the xh 95 is available, but to now confuse things more, has put oled back in my mind since I'm going to be spending close to £1000 which would give me better picture overall, I'm still in two minds as to would I be in a high potential burn in risk with the content I would watch and amount of possible gaming I'd do on it mostly weekends, 3-4 hours same game, then Netflix or children's TV shows on it also which is varied from paw patrol to Ryan's toys etc. If any oled users could give feedback it would be helpful as unable to view any tvs in stores just now. Alternatively just stick to a fald TV ie the Sony xh95? Thanks in advance.

Dodgexander

Everyone's usage is different, so if you are worried about screen burn you should invest some time to understand how it can happen, and whether your own usage will cause an issue or not.

As long as you have varied usage, with no tendancy to use a lot of content on the TV with static logos or tickers then you should be okay. The riskiest thing you've mentioned is children TV shows that if viewed on TV channels often have bright, static logos in the corner. If this is something that's going to be used a lot on the TV, its probably best to stick with an LCD TV instead.

If for example, those kids shows are on you tube and don't have a logo, then its not risky at all.

All depends on your own usage, and your own prediction of whether you'll see burn in or not, no one can answer that for you.

Darren20k

Novice Member
@Dodgexander I agree and having read the post on burn in, it would seem that I'm in the middle of the road when it comes to potential risk. Though the content would be varied, kids shows are all Netflix and you tube is mainly on tablets unless accidentally cast to main TV which did happen but not very often in that aspect its a low risk in terms of gaming it would be for example a final fantasy game which I could happily play for several hours, possibly a shooter game or 2 also until that game is completed,do you think this would be a long term issue even if content was varied for example, kids shows for several hours then gaming in the evening for a few hours?

Dodgexander

Next time your kids are watching those videos check out if they have any static logos. If they don't it should be fine. Most kids shows on you tube don't, its mainly the TV shows that do.

Its not about the shows, but if there's logos, so you need to think of that itself and the amount of times said logos will be on screen.

Gaming is a non-issue unless again like with the kids shows, if there's static logos and you play a game with them a lot then it may be a problem. I'm not verse with final fantasy, but if there's bright huds in battle and they are always in the same place its going to pose more of a problem than if they are not.

If you are in doubt, and you're not sure where you stand, go with an LCD TV instead.

Darren20k

Novice Member
@Dodgexander I looked at you tube and clearly their isn't buch static logos etc and done some random searching on other video content and seen only certain reviews or advertising would have them no issue from you tube, regarding Netflix, prime, PlayStation now their is fixed logos the Netflix banner and all the fixed icons/thumbnails same with prime. The gaming side might be an issue as the last final fantasy game got me clocking up 215 hours to complete which was the only game I did play at the time. Included a pic of gameplay for the new ff game for hud info. Taking things all into account would I be better sticking to the Sony xh 95 since that seems to be the best reasonable tv on the market apart from oled.

Attachments

• 960x0.jpg
    960x0.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 18

Dodgexander

215 hours is practically nothing. The FIFA TVs in the rtings.com test saw 5000 hours before they showed any signs, and that games much higher risk. The only bright part of that UI is the brighter blue sections of the bars (bottom right).

The UI of Netflix, Playstation etc shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't leave it open all the time. Usually you send most time watching or playing, not on the menus right? If using built in apps and you go idle, screensaver will kick in. The screen will even auto dim if it detects its been left with a stationary image too. Not sure if the playstation consoles themselves have screensavers or not.

If you are mainly using the TV in conditions with lights on, then you may as well get an LCD TV though, kind of negates the benefit a bit of an OLED if you don't intend to have dark movie nights.

Darren20k

Novice Member
At the moment current setup for watching main TV would be in a large living room just over 7 metres long with 2 lights either end both on trio of lights But only bottom lights are on giving off a dim amount of light would this make viewing a oled worse? With lcd their is the blooming issue which I seen on the xg87 and it was horrible ideally I thought the oled would eliminate that but then they have their own potential issues. So it's either I stick with the xh95 and hope the blooming isn't as bad since we can't view any in store or go oled with jl and take out the extra protection?

Dodgexander

Its not that it makes an OLED worse, per se. Just that you don't see as much of a benefit. At the same time, with lights on you don't notice the flaws so much with LCD technology. So all in all, most people who view with lights on, or in bright conditions are probably best saving the money and going for an LCD TV.

But that doesn't mean OLED doesn't have other advantages, in particular they have great viewing angles compared to LCD TVs, and no motion blur.

Blooming is a by-product of LCD TVs, it will be considerably better on a higher end LCD TV like the Sony XH9505, but to irradiate it even more you're probably looking at an OLED or an LCD TV like the Samsung Q90T. Shouldn't be too bad if you always view with light on.

Certainly some people enjoy the security of buying from John Lewis and paying extra for their insurance, I don't think anything you've mentioned is too risky though, so I'm not sure its worth it for you.

Darren20k

Novice Member
I'm going to be ordering one today or tomorrow, hoping to get some reviews from owners of the xh95 or oled possibly starting off with the oled bx range or entry Panasonic? Due to current restrictions it's unfortunate that a can't view the tvs say in curry's to get a real comparison. I do appreciate all the points you have mentioned thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
There are extensive owners threads for the main TVs in the manufacturer forums.
Viewing in a Currys store tells you next to nothing

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
TVs in places like Currys are showing them off at their worst as they either are all running poor quality content or a mixture, then you can't compare.
It's hard to tell when one TV you're looking at has a 4K demo running and the other is showing an SD feed.

That plus the TVs are on awful settings to make them look abnormally bright and overly saturated.

The only useful thing you can learn in Currys is

A/ Currys are awful
B/ Maybe, if the remotes are available, how the UI is.

Darren20k

Novice Member
Yeah I know try to sell you best picture instore, but will try find some more info on owners forums here

Dodgexander

Its actually in a way a blessing not being able to view the TVs in a shop. You won't draw anything other than a bad conclusion that way.

Rule number 1 when buying a TV (even in normal times) don't judge from what you see in the shop. That isn't just because of the demo material they use, but the set up of their TVs and viewing conditions too. No store has their lighting setup the same way as at home. If they did they'd probably never sell any TVs using IPS panels.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Apple launches new M1 powered iMac for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple introduces new Apple TV 4K with High Frame Rate HDR support
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers