New TV - Mid Range to High end Pickle!!

bluethunder

Standard Member
Hello All,

I am in the Market for a new Family Living room TV.
I have been watching videos and reading review sites and on here for the past 4 weeks and this is where I am currently at with my options.

High End OLED Options
First:- Sony 55" A80J - Currently €1550, Seems to have the better reviews, XR processor and close the the A90J
Second:- Philips 55" 856 - Currently €1550, Hare to get detailed reviews but design style and ambilight might be good

Other:- LG 55" B1 - Currently €1250 - The cheaper alternative to the above

With all the benefits of OLED, it will be in a Living room and used some what for daytime TV, but I would not too concerned about image quality it these situations.
Sports could be an issues for Day time, but the auld curtains can still be used when needed, as long at the picture is reasonable.

So it seems that was easy, Even though I had started and reviewed multiple LED options also, I final kept going up the ladder slowly and slowly to OLED.

But there are 2 things holding me back, well maybe 3.

Today the Vodafone TV Box was on (Just Installed) and notice when the kids program was on, it was paused and left on (Cartoon Image), and after 10mins, went back to the main menu and stayed there. Also I watch Final score today, as I have not had BBC (On Saorview) until today also, with all the ticker bars!!

So yes the first doubt is the dreaded Burn-in, but I guess the TV will switch themselves to screen saver modes these days??

Then there is the cost, and what LED options could give a similar* performance for much less money.
*Bear in mind I am currently using a 42 inch TV from about 6 years ago, watching Saorview and Disney+ mostly.

So the LED options:-

1) Sony XR55X90J - Currently €1050 which is a €500 euro difference to the OLEDs above (Sticking to my first options)

So this keeps the XR processing (Upscaling) is 100/120Hz and should be fairly good for Sport and the living room etc, and no Burn in issues.
Movies at night I guess and still going to be 10 times better than where I am today, but the lure of OLED is still strong.

But then I see you can get the Philips 8556 (58/65/70inch) series for much less. Yes is 50/60Hz, Peak brightness not as high etc, but I could go 58" for much less than the Sony LED, 65" still less and the 70inch for the same price as the X90j.

Now the 70 inch is probable too big, but the 65 inch would work in this TV, but too expensive for the others so would stick to 55" with these, as it jumps quite a bit again.

So how important is Size (65" vs 55") over better LED TV (X90j/8556) vs better image quality (A80J).

Any other options welcome, I have probably looked at most, and my ordering is limited to RS, Amazon and the local Irish store, where 2020 models are hard to come by or in Ireland at least there is no desirable discounts, as probable no pressure to reduce them here? Not keen on Samsung as not Dolby Vision, Currently using a citation sound bar, but may look at a HT-A9 or similar Phantom system later.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The main difference, other than size, is that none of the LED options are HDR capable TVs.

They might have HDR and varieties of it as being part of their specification and can accept an HDR signal but they don't actually have the required hardware to display it well.
You need a Sony 65XJ95, the model above and only available in 65" minimum, for good HDR and Philips don't really make any LEDs worth recommending

bluethunder

Standard Member
Thanks Bob,

The 65X95J is going to come in at 2.4K!! (New release and no current discounts)
Even the 65 A80J would come in 300 less than this, so would I not be back to OLED options at this price level, both of which are outside my range.

For True HDR what are the options?
Would the A80J give a good experience, even if the highlights are not as bright, but starting from deeper blacks?

The Samsung options (Which I'm not keen on) would be the QN90 range, I guess?

Other options from TCL/Hisense in LED for HDR?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
For True HDR what are the options?
Would the A80J give a good experience, even if the highlights are not as bright, but starting from deeper blacks?

Absolutely, it doesn't have the brightness but it does have a huge contrast ratio due to the far superior blacks of OLED.

I recently switched from a ~1350 Nit LCD with good HDR to a Sony OLED and while, very occasionally I miss the brightness, the blacks and all around picture quality of OLED is much better.
It's not so great in a bright room, however, but I always moved my blinds to prevent glare on the TV anyway.

That is the Samsung to be looking at.

I'm not that familiar with TCL and Hisense offerings this year.

The LG C1 is a good alternative at a cheaper price from your first post. It may not quite have the motion handling of the Sony, but LG make all the OLED panels for all manufacturers, so it's most likely the same panel in all the TVs.

bluethunder

Standard Member
Following on from my thoughts above I saw this deal in a local shop today.

So is this deal good? Is it a good step into OLED from my ancient LG 42inch LCD

Philips 55oled705 for €799 (£673)....yes or no???

I was looking at the Sony 55A80J, LG 55 B1, Philips 55OLED856 all 1300-1500euro
Or LCD, Sony XR90j/x95j 1050 euro

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's an excellent price for an OLED TV. It's got the same panel that a 2019/2020 LG will have as LG make all the OLED panels for all the manufacturers.

It may not be "quite" as good as the other but at near half the price it's going to be a big step up from a 42" LCD.

As long as it's not going into a bright room.....

bluethunder

Standard Member
It in an Alcove with a bay window to the side, but I think it most cases not direct sunlight, or I can use the blind curtains

I looked up my current TV for the Laugh - LG 43LF540V

The LF5500 which looks a bit similar has a peak brightness of 250nits SDR

spixel

Standard Member
It in an Alcove with a bay window to the side, but I think it most cases not direct sunlight, or I can use the blind curtains

I looked up my current TV for the Laugh - LG 43LF540V

The LF5500 which looks a bit similar has a peak brightness of 250nits SDR
I got the 705 in soundstore today, was also looking at other tvs you mentioned, a80j, lg c1. But just couldn't justify the price difference... especially knowing the LG + Sonys are selling 200-300 cheaper in other EU countries today. If they were 1000-1200 I'd definitely have taken an LG or Sony but 500-700 extra.... almost double for more or less the same thing.

Dodgexander

I think you need to decide on which display technology you want first, otherwise you compare apples to oranges.

If you decide on LCD TV over OLED, you won't really want to go lower than the Samsung QN9xA models (excluding QN90A) or Sony X95J... at a push maybe the TCL C825.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom