New TV : LG OLED vs Sony FALD

Irishek

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First time poster from Ireland! And need your help....

Recently got my hands on a PS5 for the kids room and will be rearranging the TV lineup in the house to make the most of its features. Ditching the LG FHD set that is very limited with PS5. So I will be losing the 43" LG 4K currently the sitting room and need to replace and upgrade this.

I was initially going to pick up a 49" nanocell LG, about €750, but the reviews on the edge lit panel and light blooming turned me off it. So I upped my budget to €1000 and came across a top if the range 49" 2020 Sony FALD tv. Specs and reviews are brilliant albeit being the 2020 model. When I was looking around this price range, I came accross the new LG 48" OLED C14 at Richer sounds. Its a bit more expensive, coming in about €1250. Im a bit of an LG fanboy, but is the OLED screen worth €250 more over the Sony? The specs are nearly identical but the LG having 2.1 hdmi and sony dosent. Warranty is 5 years on Sony and 6 years with LG.

TV is mainly used with Sky, netflix, prime, disney etc. Sports on occasions. I was set on the Sony until I spotted LG. But concern about screen burn has me a bit hesitant. LG is a bit out of price range but could probably stretch if it's worth it. But again, screen burn???

Absolutely worth it over the Sony, no contest.

Screen burn isn't an issue so long as your varying your content and not overusing one media source too much, like leaving something on all day with a static logo. Just dont do that and you will be fine.

Absolutely worth it over the Sony, no contest.

Screen burn isn't an issue so long as your varying your content and not overusing one media source too much, like leaving something on all day with a static logo. Just dont do that and you will be fine.
Could you give me an idea of "overusing?". Is it possible to out a timeframe on this? For eg, my small fella would watch c beebies for an hour or so in the morning, and maybe at night. They have there bright yellow logo on the top right of the screen I think it is and it stays static. Is that likely to cause an issue ot am I over thinking it?

1/2 hours is nothing, its leaving 7+ hours a day after day that will do damage quickly.

The TV has a built in automatic maintenance mode that will clear image build up.

I am in the same aboat as you i got the kids a ps5 for xmas and would love an oled tv but have witnessed first hand how my kids abuse tech.
On oled wouldn't last five minutes in my house as they leave the tv paused for hours, watch youtube and other rubbish channels with static logos so i am going with a fald tv.

Could you give me an idea of "overusing?". Is it possible to out a timeframe on this? For eg, my small fella would watch c beebies for an hour or so in the morning, and maybe at night. They have there bright yellow logo on the top right of the screen I think it is and it stays static. Is that likely to cause an issue ot am I over thinking it?
Oled "burn in" is very rare but it's worth being aware that oled pixel wear is cumulative though. So half an hour of a logo twice a day over the week equals 7 hours wear. Over years it does add up and CAN cause uneven pixel wear where those colours will be weaker. Check the below link out, it is an extreme case, and on older "less resilient" panels, bit gives you an idea.
Most burn in reports these days tend to be older panels and typically news channels due to the bright yellow or red bars at the bottom.
Having said all that, I use my oled for gaming and movies etc and have never had an issue with burn in.

I was in the same position a few months ago - I've never had anything other than Sony TV's since the 90's so I was hesitant about any potential switch. I knew I wanted an OLED but the cost was what put me off compared to LCD, as well as the burn in horror stories.

I do all of my TV viewing & gaming in a fairly dark room, so dark areas of images always made the backlight stand out. The latest Sony's have 32 zones in the FALD sets I believe?

Other consideration was the gaming, and future proofing myself with HDMI 2.1 - the LG's win hands down in the is regard - the Sony's come with 1 or 2 enabled sockets, but all 4 of the LG's sockets are 2.1 and I'll be getting both a PS5 & Series X when the stock issues ease.

I went with the LG 65CX - and I've not regretted it. The OLED image is outstanding and I say it was worth the additional £500 the set cost over the alternative Sony FALD set I was considering.

Sony edges it on picture processing in my eyes, but thats not to say the LG is poor by any means. I had a couple of issues to begin with but I was able to iron those out in the TV's settings. (The LG seemed to have difficulty with The Expanse initially - long slow shots of spinning space stations would be juddery and stars would leave trails across the screen.)

No issues with burn in at all. When using any of the TV's App's, a screen saver will kick in and both consoles will dim their images automatically if left unattended. Sky is the only one you need to look out for if you leave it on the TV guide. The TV does a decent job of dimming logo's and scores to prevent any issues. I should note that I generally use the ISF Dark Room picture setting which means the OLED light is only going to about 80% brightness.

Love the LG OLED - watching movies and realising that the set has actually switched parts of the screen off for the black bars blows my mind a little!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom