Answered New TV LG B8 or PANASONIC FZ802B

samo8076

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am pondering jumping in to the OLED market and have identified the LG B8 and PANASONIC FZ802B as the two i am most interested in.

I am really struggling to figure out which would be the best overall, both have excellent reviews on here which doesnt help.

I will mainly be using the TV in a large well lit lounge and mainly for standard freeview tv, 4K netflix and 4k gaming and 4K movies on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Help!!

I have watched many reviews and the last head to head was the Pana 802 v the E8 which has the faster processor than the B8. I don't own either but have seen both in currys and I have to say i'm hugely impressed with the image quality of the 802 out of the box and it appears there are less issues than with the B8. Obv the B8 does have DV over the 802 and I was pondering replacing my old LG 950V with an 802, especially at the price they are now but I think I'm going to hold on just a bit longer to see how the new GZ series are first and also how much Samsung have improved the QLED this year. Personally, I'd read the reviews and all the forum threads then go to currys or JL and have a play with both to see what you prefer and take it from there as each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Hi,

I am pondering jumping in to the OLED market and have identified the LG B8 and PANASONIC FZ802B as the two i am most interested in.

I am really struggling to figure out which would be the best overall, both have excellent reviews on here which doesnt help.

I will mainly be using the TV in a large well lit lounge and mainly for standard freeview tv, 4K netflix and 4k gaming and 4K movies on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Help!!
If your intention was to buy in the next month or so, particularly given your use of Xbox and PS4, you would be best served going with the LG - either the B8, or price match the C8 down to 1499.

I say this, as the One X and many 4K movies now support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, neither of which are compatible with the 2018 Panasonic range. Therefore, even though the difference is small, you wouldn’t be getting the best experience from the Pana. That said however, if you can wait until June, the GZ series Panasonic’s will have both Vision and Atmos.

If the decision is now though.... better picture? Just by a margin, the Panasonic’s. Better TV’s? Because of the OS, Gaming performance, HDMI bandwidth, DV and DA and HDR performance, The LGs. It’s what matters to you.

Thanks both. Can I ask where have you seen the c8 for 1499? Unfortunately I'm having to purchase from curry's

Unfortunately that store is not on the price match approved list. Take a look at curry's Web site, rather silly if you ask me
Why are you constrained to curry’s?

It’s an independent store so they should do it as a one off

They’ll price match amazon though, they’re at 1499 too

Hey, i went in to Currys at lunch and viewed the LG B8, C8, E8, Panny FZ802B, Samsung Q8DNA and Q9F....so so much choice.

Best out of them after spending some time looknig at the demos (i didnt have time to mess with settings etc) I would say the E8, Panny and the two Samsungs stood out. But i know each will have 'store mode' on by default......

I have no idea what to choose. I think any would be a massive step up compared to my KS7000 though?

Ideally i dont want to spend more then £1500 either so that would leave my choices LG B8 or the Panny FZ802B unless like you guys say i can get Currys to price match the C8

I went for the B8PLA (with better stand and sound) in the end. Arrives a week Saturday. Managed to get it for £1149 delivered down from £1299

I went with the 802 looks stunning to me no judder like i was seeing on the lg

Hey, i went in to Currys at lunch and viewed the LG B8, C8, E8, Panny FZ802B, Samsung Q8DNA and Q9F....so so much choice.

Best out of them after spending some time looknig at the demos (i didnt have time to mess with settings etc) I would say the E8, Panny and the two Samsungs stood out. But i know each will have 'store mode' on by default......

I have no idea what to choose. I think any would be a massive step up compared to my KS7000 though?

Ideally i dont want to spend more then £1500 either so that would leave my choices LG B8 or the Panny FZ802B unless like you guys say i can get Currys to price match the C8
I looked at the C8 and E8 Demo's in dynamic mode preset and then to the Panny which looked just as good then it turned out to be on "normal" mode playing a YouTube clip with a OLED light of 38; Vibrant, colourful and vivid. Hugely impressed to the point of now seriously switching from LG to Panny but perhaps a GZ series.

ah. I didnt touch the tvs in the store to be fair. I have gone off reviews and experiance from users r.e the b8.

ah. I didnt touch the tvs in the store to be fair. I have gone off reviews and experiance from users r.e the b8.
I spent about 30 mins talking them through with the young lad who was very knowledgable in Currys. When he showed me the Panny preset I was very surprised.

I spent about 30 mins talking them through with the young lad who was very knowledgable in Currys. When he showed me the Panny preset I was very surprised.

I find it so hard to buy a tv these days, took me 3 months to come to the decision on the ks7000, and has taken me a good 2 months to come to the conclusion on the B8. I wanted OLED due to tall the positivity iv heard. I'm sure i won't be disappointed either way.

FWIW I would without doubt wait for the price to drop a bit more and then go for the FZ802 (and buy a ROKU SS+).

For those recommening the panny what's better than the b8? I'm so confused to be honest.

I'm so confused to be honest.

Welcome to the world of tv buying my friend! It’s a rabbit hole of twists and turns and never ending mind changing.

In all seriousness though, I was in pretty much in the same position as you a few months ago and had whittled my options down the the B8, C8, Sony OLEDs and the FZ802. I was not restricted by budget so I basically just went for what met my needs the best and with this in mind for me it was ultimately a no brainier. I 99% of the time just watch movies and I was swung by the way that the colours look on the Panasonic and by the way it deals with ‘motion’ in movies.

What you have got to remember as well is that the reality is that you are going to get a different answer from everybody so my honest advice would be to think about the content you will be viewing and then somehow get that on the screens you are considering. Having said that though, the traditional showroom is next to useless when getting a realistic impression of what these things actually look like so try and get yourself to RS and pray that you can see them in action in their demo room.

Disclaimer: all the OLEDS are much of a much and come with their own quirks/compromises/advantages. Feed them the best sources and they all look great.

I get what your saying. I am mainly using it for free view, Netflix and gaming.

The b8 seems to be the games choice and is also apparently the best for TV and 4k according to rtings. They don't even mention the panny. When I viewed the panny and b8 in curry's they both seemed really good and natural. I think the reason I chose the b8 is because of the sheer amount of people using it. This TV is going to be main TV for the next 3 years a least so want it be right. As iv not taking delivery and payment hasn't gone out I can change my mind.

The b8 seems to be the games choice and is also apparently the best for TV and 4k according to rtings. They don't even mention the panny.

It is my understanding that rtings only review sets available in the USA and as Panasonic do not sell in the US market they would not mention it for that reason.

IMHO the reasons people are going for the b8 are due to the price and smart platform. Reading a lot of comments it appears that for some people the lack of DV on the FZ802 is reason enough for not considering it at all.

Took delivery of the B8 on Saturday and have to say i am blown away. Night and day compared to the KS7000.

I went for the B8PLA (with better stand and sound) in the end. Arrives a week Saturday. Managed to get it for £1149 delivered down from £1299

Hi, new member here!

I'm also interested in the LG B8PLA and funnily enough also have a credit note for Currys which means I have to buy from there.
Could I ask how you managed to get a reduced price on it as I was told in the store that 'this model is exclusive to Currys and therefore isn't available to be price matched'..........they weren't interested when I tried to argue the point!

The only reservation I Have about this model, well any OLED TV for that matter is that it will sit near very large South facing floor to ceiling windows and therefore be in direct sunlight during the day. I'm concerned after reading possible issues regarding sun/heat damage to OLED screens as well as obvious viewing issues within a bright sunny room.........might the QLED models be a better option??

I have by most people standards a rather limited budget of under £1500 for a 55" model and find I'm now going around in circles unable to make a decision! I don't 'game' and will only be using the TV to watch TV programmes!

Any general advice would be much appreciated.......

Thanks

Mike

Hi, new member here!

I'm also interested in the LG B8PLA and funnily enough also have a credit note for Currys which means I have to buy from there.
Could I ask how you managed to get a reduced price on it as I was told in the store that 'this model is exclusive to Currys and therefore isn't available to be price matched'..........they weren't interested when I tried to argue the point!

The only reservation I Have about this model, well any OLED TV for that matter is that it will sit near very large South facing floor to ceiling windows and therefore be in direct sunlight during the day. I'm concerned after reading possible issues regarding sun/heat damage to OLED screens as well as obvious viewing issues within a bright sunny room.........might the QLED models be a better option??

I have by most people standards a rather limited budget of under £1500 for a 55" model and find I'm now going around in circles unable to make a decision! I don't 'game' and will only be using the TV to watch TV programmes!

Any general advice would be much appreciated.......

Thanks

Mike

Hi, welcome to the forums.

They had an offer on at the time i bought it (£100 off) and i managed to get them to match the other version of the B8.

Anyway, I have only been using it in my short time for standard Freeview tv, Netflix and youtube, and have to say it's pretty impressive. HD Channels look good, Netflix and Youtube content looks outstanding, however, SD tv looks ok, but not mind-blowing, but I didn't expect it to in all honesty. R.e screen reflections, i too have it in a large lit room and all seems decent if i use the preset of bright room. If you are just planning on watching normal tv i.e sky, I would probably go with an LCD due to the 'burn in' paranoia of an oled. Current Samsung QLEDs are dropping in price due to the new versions coming out imminently, so I would possibly take a look at them. The Q7FN or even the Q8FN are decent TVs/ Best thing to do is pop to Richer Sounds or a Currys to check the TVs out.

Hope this helps.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

They had an offer on at the time i bought it (£100 off) and i managed to get them to match the other version of the B8.

Anyway, I have only been using it in my short time for standard Freeview tv, Netflix and youtube, and have to say it's pretty impressive. HD Channels look good, Netflix and Youtube content looks outstanding, however, SD tv looks ok, but not mind-blowing, but I didn't expect it to in all honesty. R.e screen reflections, i too have it in a large lit room and all seems decent if i use the preset of bright room. If you are just planning on watching normal tv i.e sky, I would probably go with an LCD due to the 'burn in' paranoia of an oled. Current Samsung QLEDs are dropping in price due to the new versions coming out imminently, so I would possibly take a look at them. The Q7FN or even the Q8FN are decent TVs/ Best thing to do is pop to Richer Sounds or a Currys to check the TVs out.

Hope this helps.

That's very kind of you to take the time and trouble to answer so comprehensively, its much appreciated!
Yes I've only just discovered this 'burn in/image retention issue' which is now just an extra thing to confuse an old boy like me, I still remember sitting around a tiny b&w TV at our family home thinking how wonderful it was......rented from 'Radio Rentals'....happy days!
Thanks again
Mike

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom