New TV just for gaming

B1ackmagic

Standard Member
Hi. I've just registered as you've come recommended by a friend. Despite the amount I have read and people I have talked to, the task of getting a new TV has become more daunting instead of less. I just have too many pieces of conflicting information.

I am looking for a good new tv to compliment my Playstation 3 and watching DVDs and Blu Rays on it.

I am aiming for...

Samsung (I hear it's the best choice besides a Sony)
1080p resolution
32 inches or just a little bigger
Maximum budget of around 600 but of course need as cheap as possible

I need to ask about hz as the information I have been given conflicts. I need to be told straight how much i'll actually need. I see so many models with 100hz but it bumps the price so much I just don't know if I need it.

I suppose it's just 60hz I need but few sites list the hz unless it's 100 or higher.

Can anyone help me?

deancolt45

Standard Member
I am pretty sure the Samsung above, the 530, is 50Hz, because I was considering that one myself and even looked at it today in Currys, opted against it for the time being as I still can't work out whether 100Hz is needed for 32inch gaming :(

duncfunk

100Hz is only really recommended for watching sport and does indeed cause lag on gaming.

Samsung don't have the best reputation for being gamer friendly due to lag issues. In my opinion the best set to suit your requirements is the Sony 32V5500 :smashin:

vickster

Distinguished Member
LG also worth considering for gaming LH3000/4000/5000/7000 depending on budget (which you don't specify)

B1ackmagic

Standard Member
100Hz is only really recommended for watching sport and does indeed cause lag on gaming.

Samsung don't have the best reputation for being gamer friendly due to lag issues. In my opinion the best set to suit your requirements is the Sony 32V5500 :smashin:
I had no idea about any of this until now, thanks for that.

B1ackmagic

Standard Member
So is a 50hz TV perfectly acceptable for gaming? It's just I remember in the days of PS2 and earlier there was occasionally an option for "60hz" before you started the game with a notice that informed you that it might not work on your television. I had to use it on a fairly old television in order to have it not work. Surely a new Samsung would support such things. I just don't have the ability to test this stuff.

Are there any people with a modern 50hz and a PS3 who could fill me in?

vickster

Distinguished Member
All 50hz TVs play 60hz games nowadays. UK TVs have either 50, 100, 200hz and people use consoles all the time so no issue (US = 60, 120, 240)

Last edited:

fast_ray

Standard Member
Hi, i have been in the same boat recently. I wanted a new screen for gaming and some blu ray movies. Only diff i wanted a big screen (minimum 46inch).

Maybe my shortlist can help you out:
sony 52v5500 (just hate the big chance for backlight bleed :( )
tosh 46xv635
lg 47lh4000

These are all screens with low input lag and good motion handling.
100hz you dont need for gaming, in every game mode that a tv has this sort of things are switched to off to make the tv respond faster.

I have one last advise and that is to watch a plasma in a home environment.
They look bad in stores but when i played on one in a normal home it made me forget all about lcd.... better contrast, better blacks, better response and motion handling!

That said i went for a pana 50v10.
Good luck hunting :thumbsup:

vickster

Distinguished Member
There are no 32" plasmas, the 37X10 is the only 37" plasma and it's 720p. Depends how crucial 1080p is for the OP, given only a few games are 1080p (as well as blu-ray). The 37X10 is excellent though and a bargain at only £499 from John Lewis with 5 year warranty

livo360

Standard Member
i have the samsung le32b530p and for the price it's a cracking little tv. gaming is awesome on it no lag or ghosting problems :smashin: when playing games it switches itself on 60hz. sd is very good through the virgin v+ box and hd viewing is amazing i'm well chuffed with it, if your after a cheap decent tv go for this.:thumbsup: i paid 400 2 months ago bet it's even cheaper now.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom