1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV issues... (Panasonic)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JohnLin, May 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JohnLin

JohnLin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently purchased a new TV for upstairs (CT-27HL14) and I'm certainly enjoying it...

However, there are a couple issues I have with it and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on them.

First off all, there is a slight high pitch noise that occasionally comes from the rear of the set. This would not normally be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that it is generally NOT present...

Basically, just randomly (generally shortly after initial power on) the set will emit this high pitch noise. If one was to lightly press down on the case of the set it would stop the sound. Upon removing your hand, however, it would begin again. It generally stops after a few minutes. The intensity is actually quite low (not everyone even hears it) but it bothers me a bit.

The TV sits atop a rather small stand, but the stand it sturdy enough to hold it. The upper floor combined with this stand creates a situation where the TV is not on a totally solid surface (vibrations are common through walking around). On my older Toshiba flat screen, tapping a chair or stepping around would cause moire patterns to quickly flash on and off.

One odd thing, there is a fix...but it depends on the time of day. During the first half of the day, the TV can sit flat and will generally stay silent. However, during the evening hours, it is more likely to emit this noise off and on. Propping a small magazine beneath the front of the set, however, fixes this....but only in the evening. I've tested this and it always seems to hold true...no matter WHEN the TV was first used during that day.

What could cause this problem? I have a full warranty, so I'm not necessarily worried about that aspect...but I am curious. Is it a malfunction in the set? Could it cause problems? Is it more related to the environment? I have no idea, but I'd really appreciate ANY answers! :)

Other related notes:

I DO have a ground loop problem that causes slight interference bars to appear on the screen when running a component signal. This occured on both TVs and appears to look exactly the same (though it isn't as noticible on this newere set).

Any idea if it is possible to remedy this?

2. kuqikoo

kuqikoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a similar problem on my old sanyo 25 inch. called out an engineer whom replaced some sort of capacitor in the back and problem went away

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JohnLin,

I bought a 36PW9618 Philips set last month, which performs perfectly in all aspects.

However when I put the television on it gives a "groan" for a couple of seconds and when it's put into standby it makes more of a groan for about three seconds. My stand is the one from Philips for this tv. I had a Sony portable a long time ago which did this when it was turned on but it is still going strong, without problems, in the kitchen. I think it must be some sort of resonance. I don't think it is a problem unless there is a hum when viewing the picture. Some televisions do constantly hum as some of our members have mentioned.

Very weird that yours should vary throughout the day. The fact that your magazine helps must mean the stand does not fully support the tv possibly. Can you get a piece of foam rubber the size of the base of the tv (good carpet underlay) and put that between the tv and the stand. That did wonders for a friend's hi-fi that was resonating.

Can't help with the ground loop problem, try the search facility on this forum. Hope you get it sorted out.

4. JohnLin

JohnLin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply!

For now, it seems the solution is using a soft padding beneath the set. So, you are kinda right there. :p

I actually grabbed a pair of old socks initially and just stuffed them along the front lip of the set and it seemed to work great! So, I'm going to find a nice piece of foam or something that I could use for good.

The magazine wouldn't continue to work because it was VERY thin and would basically end up becoming flattened from the weight of the set...so after a night of sitting on that mag, the problem would crop up again! Using a soft surface seems much better...as the problem really WAS something vibrating or resonating within.

Sadly, there is about 5-6cm on each side of the set that is not being supported by the stand and about twice that in the rear. I may have no choice but to consider a new stand for this set...as the lack of support really might be a part of the problem.