New TV - Is it worth it?

irishyop

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I have a 6 year old LCD, its a 40" Samsung LE40R74BD. Its got 1 HDMI and with Sky HD it gives what I consider a good picture.
Spec is here: Samsung LE40R74BD LCD TV screen

So I was in the local electrical place and I have had my head turned :D
I saw the SAMSUNG UE46F8000 in the flesh and with the picture quality and smart tv features I could manage to sell the existing TV and get this.
Richersounds are doing it for 1299 with 5 year warranty at the moment so it seems like the best price I can find.
Richer Sounds Ireland

So what I am asking really is if I will notice vast differences, I have read loads of reviews and that but I can't seem to find out what the major major differences will be!!
Appreciate any feedback.

You are posting on here as you want it and just want the push. Get it. There's a World Cup on and these days TVs come with lots of new features.

Full 1080p over 'HD ready' of the old TV so bluray's will run at proper resolution, the scaling capabilities of the new set will undoubtedly be superior so standard definition Sky broadcasts should look smoother, contrast ratio will be higher (or at least the tech will boost it) so blacks will look more black making the overall picture richer. Ultimately I think you will notice the difference, your TV is 6 years old so all the advances in technology will certainly show through, you'll also get all the Smart features (if you like that sort of thing) It all depends if you want to drop money on a new TV but I think 6 years is more than a respectable amount of time to wait...and I think you've already talked yourself into it!

:D
Thanks Adam and Sonic67, ya I think the TV flirting at me has done the trick, World Cup.... what world cup!!!!! :beer:

Adam that makes sense to me what you are saying, that TV at the time was pretty decent and in fairness anyone who still comes to the house thinks it has a great pic but I was very impressed with that Samsung and its picture qualities and the smart TV features. I think the 5 year warranty is good to have.
I am based in Rep. Ireland so from what I can see RS are the only crew able to offer the guarantee and delivery, JohnLewis seem to have good offers but I would need to organise a courier and that would frigthen me to say the least! :D

Many thanks for your help guys, I appreciate your time.

The 40" will go well in a bedroom ;)

Will you stop Vickster, I get haunted enough with Gail Tilsley without seen her mug in 40" of screen at the foot of my bed! :D

The remaining stocks of the current models will come down as the new ones start to hit the shops in a month or two, but it could just be the dross that is left

Thanks folks, thats a thought, but will the 2014 models be more expensive do you think?
I "can" wait though, it makes no odds to wait for a couple of months.

When you say the "Dross" vickster, I don't get you sorry.

Thanks v much

Dross = not very good TVs that the retailers can't shift...

If you have your heart set on a specific TV and you are limited on retailers by location, I wouldn't dilly

Yes, for 6 months from release, the new models are usually 25-50% more expensive than the outgoing models they replace. Prices may now drop by £50 but probably not a lot more now (although prices have gone up again a bit now for some models as the sales have ended)

Dross = not very good TVs that the retailers can't shift...

If you have your heart set on a specific TV and you are limited on retailers by location, I wouldn't dilly

Yes, for 6 months from release, the new models are usually 25-50% more expensive than the outgoing models they replace. Prices may now drop by £50 but probably not a lot more now (although prices have gone up again a bit now for some models as the sales have ended)

I hear you. Ummm, its tempting to wait, but the difference between the 2013 and 2014 of the 8000 series couldn't be much.

I don't even know if there will be a 46" 8000

Tends to be the Smart and other features and perhaps the styling that get updated, not much else year on year. Especially as the manufacturers starting to invest in OLED, 4K etc and less so LCD (LED)

John Lewis will retrospectively price match if they or a competitor reduce the price within 28 days

I don't even know if there will be a 46" 8000

Tends to be the Smart and other features and perhaps the styling that get updated, not much else year on year. Especially as the manufacturers starting to invest in OLED, 4K etc and less so LCD (LED)

John Lewis will retrospectively price match if they or a competitor reduce the price within 28 days

Thats the think OLED is out of the bracket as I think it will be a good while until they are in my price bracket.
Might just need to bite the bullet :D

Have you read the reviews? Personally, I'd go for the Sony 46W905 over the F8000

Have you read the reviews? Personally, I'd go for the Sony 46W905 over the F8000

STOPPPPPP :D I am blue with reviews :D

Ya I have never seen one in the flesh and can't travel to the "Cities" to see it unfortuntely.
I have read that the smart TV On the samsung is much better than the Sony also, so that swings it.

But I could be wrong ;)

Now we are at the latter end of January,you would be as well waiting a couple of months to see what the 2014 models are like.Sony have already showed their hand.I'm sure the others will follow soon.

Spoke to Richersounds, dead on lads. They were saying that the difference between 40" and 46" isn't worth it and they in fact rate the pana-txp50gt60b as a better TV for sports and gaming that the Samsung 8000 series.

I was of the thinking that Plasma was on the way out and buying one above and LED would be mental.
But that TV seems to have great features and picture and smart tv features look to be very good.

I'm confused totally now!!!

Plasma isn't on the way out due to any fault in the technology, indeed lots of videophiles are snapping up the last plasmas as they are superior in many ways to LCD (which is what an LED is). It is on the way out as the mass market wants slimmer, more energy efficient TVs and they think that this makes the TV better. It does in that way but not necessarily in terms of blacks, motion etc. Thus, the companies can't afford to develop plasma further if most people don't consider them. Their R&D and marketing spend goes into LCD now and OLED and other new things

Depends what you want. Demo the TVs and make a decision based on your experience.

How on earth would LED be 'mental'???

Ironically LEDs are going to be deeper this year.:rolleyes:

Cant go wrong with a GT60, wish I had the dosh myself.

Cheers Victster, predictive text typo! :( I meant "was buying the plasma mental as opposed to buying the LED".
Agree totally that I need to demo, I have tried Harvey Norman over here which is local and they didn't have the PANA so I need to travel 1.5hrs to the nearest Currys to see if I can get a right demo there.

One thing I did notice was the difference in power consumption.

Use will be for general viewing for 50%then plenty of football 25%, then split between movies and PS3 for the rest. I have all HD channels.
No camera on this PANA, can live with that.

Whats your thoughts on the difference between sizing of 40 and 46" been negligible?
Though I would say the difference is more noticeable moving from my 40" to the 46".

Time to make a decision this week me thinks :D

Ironically LEDs are going to be deeper this year.:rolleyes:

Cant go wrong with a GT60, wish I had the dosh myself.

As in better color on the black is it?

Ya the GT60 can seem to do no wrong!

Our TV on a Saturday and can spend 17hrs on full time with the kids and then football.

Its weird, I just have this "thing" that Plasma is like the caveman compared to LCD, then LED, Now 4k and OLED, but I obviously don't seem to see that its not really the case. :)

Just want to make sure that this TV will do us nicely for what probably will be another 5 or 6 years all going well.

Currys only have low end plasmas.

Id buy a GT online so you can asses it and return it if you dont like it.

I've personally gone 42" to 46" to now 51", if around 8ft away or more I'd go as big as you can.

I went from a 37" plasma to a 46" LCD, there is a big difference at least from 8ft. I expect my next TV will be a 50" LED, due to the slimmer frame, and the amount of space I have available

Look for Panasonic retailers here and call in advance to check what they have on the shop floor Where to buy - Panasonic

Currys only have low end plasmas.

Id buy a GT online so you can asses it and return it if you dont like it.

I've personally gone 42" to 46" to now 51", if around 8ft away or more I'd go as big as you can.

It will be Richersounds where i am buying as they are doing the 5 year warranty and best price here in Ireland so yes that could be an option.
Its a pain in the head that you can't see it locally!!

12ft between me and the TV currently. So 50" should be sound. Neighbours can view it from across the road!

LED is 'not' new its still LCD thats been around as long as plasma, both starting out in the 60's I believe.
LCD was designed for static display and plasma to rival CRT.

Plasma has arguably improved more over the years than LCD.
This is part of the reason plasma is going, people are ill informed.

Some top end LED sets are impressive but still lack the viewing angles and black levels of a plasma, they cant do both.
They also have to spread light across the panel from the edges so uniformity can be awful, plasma is lit per pixel.
Plasma also has a faster response time.
They are by no means perfect but like for like price and size wise plasma is simply better all round for most people and environments.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom