New TV how to get best sound setup

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by TonyLowrey, Oct 17, 2004.

1. TonyLowrey

TonyLowrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying a new widescreen TV (probably Sony 28 or 32"). Also replacing VHS recorder with DVD recorder. Have DVD player and Digibox. Currently I just use the Dolby ProLogic features of my Current TV but want a better setup with 5.1 which the TV does not have. DVD has optical output. Digibox is a Pace unit with 2 Scart outputs. Now the questions..

1) If I use a AV system, how do I route the various sound outputs including the TV to the AV system and still have a remote control of the sound volume. It is easy at the moment cos I just use the TV remote with the TV sound!

2) Do the new Sony TVs output a stereo signal which the AV unit can decode as stereo?

3) Are there any diagrams online which may help me set set this up.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The sound from the DVD recorder will be routed to the amp via an optical cable whilst the Sky box which only has analogue outputs will be connected to the amp via a pair of phono leads.

Most current televisions will sport a pair of audio outputs for connection to an external amplifier and this will carry whatever signal is being broadcast whether it be mono, stereo or pro logic.

If you haven't yet bought your equipment try and ensure that the television has as many scart sockets as possible (preferably at least two that can take an RGB signal) and that the DVD recorder also has two scart sockets for ease of connection.

The main output of the Digibox will go to the scart input on the dvd recorder with a second scart from the dvd recorder to an RGB enabled scart on the TV. If you are still going to keep the VCR set up the second scart from the digibox will go to the vcr with a second scart onto an ordinary non RGB scart socket on the TV.

Decent scart cables from the Sky box to the DVD recorder and again from the DVD recorder to the TV will pay dividends but don't worry too much about the pair of scart cables connecting up the VCR