1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV - Help with setup ! !

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by The Dark Horse, Jan 28, 2004.

1. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Hi all,

I'm after some advice as to the best way to setup my new TV, so I get the best out of my video and NTL box.

I am a complete novice and no very little about which SCART sockets to use so excuse my lack of professional jargon.

I have a Sony 32" Widescreen TV (KV-32FX68) which has 3 scart (2 RGB) sockets, a very old and basic video (BUSH) that has just 1 scart socket. I also have a cable box (NTL) which has 2 scart sockets. (I am considering buying a new video with 2 scarts and also a DVD player in the future)

I also only have an indoor aerial as the outside one has a terrible reception.

Any advice as to the best way to setup the whole lot would be very helpful, ie where do I plug the aerial, and how do I connect the video and NTL up to get the best connections.

I only have the cheap scart leads (£3 each) so any advice as to better ones to buy would be useful too.

All the best

THE NOVICE (and I really am believe me)

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Connect your VCR with a scart lead from scart 1/TV on your video and connect that into the none RGB socket on your TV. Connect your aerial into aerial [in] on your NTL box and then an RF lead from the RF [out] on your NTL box into aerial [in] on your TV. Connect your NTL box with a scart lead from scart 1/TV on the NTL box and connect that into one of your RGB enabled scart connections on your TV. Remember and set your NTL box to output RGB. That's it really. That leaves one RGB enabled socket on your TV for when you add a DVD player. Same rule applies. Scart lead from scart 1/TV on the DVD player and then straight into your spare socket on your TV. Again, you would have to set your player to output an RGB signal.
    Lucky you that you have 3 scart sockets on your TV. If you had only two, then you would have had to start daisy chaining your components when you get a DVD player.

3. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Thank you for your reply, very helpful. Do you know anything about decent Scart leads to use. I only have cheap Scarts at the moment and I have been told that a decent scart can make a lot of difference to the picture.

Thanks again.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With existing VCR don't bother, I'd try Ixos XHT601 or QED SQART for the digi-box and for the DVD when you get it. If you get a new VCR Ixos do a more basic scart that would be adequate for that. If you want to record on the VCR then the RF lead out of the NTL should go into the VCR then a 2nd RF from VCR to TV. On the new VCR connect scart2 on NTL to SCART2 on VCR to record at NTL's quality.