Question New TV for small office - what hardware to use??

splayfair

Novice Member
HI All,

New here so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have a small team of 7 people and since the lockdown etc we are using video conferencing a lot more. now some of us are back in the office (some will remain WFH), we need to get a large TV for wall in office which we will use primarily for video conferencing, but i have to say i'm getting confused with what connections etc are best for the purpose required?

We use microsoft teams which i dont belive has a natvie app for a smart tv to use so am guessing i will need a pc connection to run this (windows laptops). Are wireless connections ok for this purpose (either a dongle or casting direct?), or will it require an hdmi connection direct?

also re the webcam, if i get a smart tv, can i then use the webcam on that for this purpose or will that require further connections to laptop which will make it cumbersome - would it work for video conferncing purposes or would it be better to get a more appropraite webcam and connect it up so it can be directed better? - also what connection would be required to use this as guessing it would need to be linked back to laptop as that would be driving the video rather than the tv?

sorry fof the brain dump - ive got a bit confused with what is best and cannot see any solution online for my needs

many thanks in advance!!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Wireless mirroring is fine.

TVs don't have the ability to act as a USB client or provide a video output so the webcam would need to be connected to the computer running teams. You'd need to look at more commercially-oriented displays for that sort of thing, a TV is just going to be a screen that shows the resulting video and audio.

You don't say which webcam you currently have so it's hard to say whether that would be appropriate or whether you'd need to change it. From a technical point of view it's likely fine, it'll likely come down to whether you're happy with the lens angle/resolution for a group meeting.

splayfair

Novice Member
Wireless mirroring is fine.

TVs don't have the ability to act as a USB client or provide a video output so the webcam would need to be connected to the computer running teams. You'd need to look at more commercially-oriented displays for that sort of thing, a TV is just going to be a screen that shows the resulting video and audio.

You don't say which webcam you currently have so it's hard to say whether that would be appropriate or whether you'd need to change it. From a technical point of view it's likely fine, it'll likely come down to whether you're happy with the lens angle/resolution for a group meeting.
Many thanks

no webcam at present, I just meant the built in cams that come witha lot of smart TVs. Trying to minimise the cables so if I did go for a wireless mirror thenshoudk I get a wireless webcam also?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
no webcam at present, I just meant the built in cams that come witha lot of smart TVs. Trying to minimise the cables so if I did go for a wireless mirror thenshoudk I get a wireless webcam also?

Very few, if any, TVs on the market have a built in webcam. It was tried a few years ago, but was widely criticised given the privacy issues raised by the low security of TV software.

I'm not very knowledgable about webcams, but I suspect you'll find Wireless ones not very common either.

You could connect the webcam to a cheap PC plugged into the TV, such as a compute stick, and then control that remotely from the laptops. It's not the cheapest solution, but it is self-contained.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom